Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Tom Webster

Jan 5, 2002, 6:17 PM

Post #1 of 5 (3631 views)

Shortcut

Directions from Brownsville TX to mexico City

Can't Post |
My wife and I want to visit family in Mexico City;and are considering driving from northern U.S. Does anyone have a helpful route, or know where I can find one online?

Berto

Jan 6, 2002, 10:51 AM

Post #2 of 5 (3630 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
: My wife and I want to visit family in Mexico City;and are considering driving from northern U.S. Does anyone have a helpful route, or know where I can find one online?<p>If you are coming from the "northern U.S." and you want to go to the D.F., Brownsville is probably a poor choice for a border crossing.
The best road connection to the D.F. from the border is through Laredo/Nuevo Laredo.(that's why this crossing is so busy) If you cross early, drive late and use all the toll roads you can make the D.F. in a day (+/-14 hrs. driving)
On the other hand, cross at Brownsville, take several days and smell the roses !! Your choice<p>

Pernel

Jan 6, 2002, 2:34 PM

Post #3 of 5 (3628 views)

Shortcut

I use route #57 south.

Can't Post |
: My wife and I want to visit family in Mexico City;and are considering driving from northern U.S. Does anyone have a helpful route, or know where I can find one online?<p>I would drive thru Monterrey and into Saltillo, then head south on #57. This is the Pan-Am Highway, and has been vastly improved post NAFTA. The coastal route is flatter with some bad sections, try the new road up fron Pozo Rica, is speed is important.<p>Pernel.

Cynthia Mason

Jan 6, 2002, 5:41 PM

Post #4 of 5 (3630 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |

: My wife and I want to visit family in Mexico City;and are considering driving from northern U.S. Does anyone have a helpful route, or know where I can find one online?<p>Why are you driving through Brownsville? A wonderful route through Dallas, Austin, San Antonio to Laredo - crossing at the Columbia bridge on to Monterey, Saltillo,San Luis Potosi,Queretaro and on to Mexico City. If you are touring there are lots of interesting things along that route. If not touring it is 4 lane all of the way!!

Andy in Monterrey

Jan 21, 2002, 12:08 AM

Post #5 of 5 (3633 views)

Shortcut

How to bypass Monterrey and Saltillo on this route

Can't Post |
Most of Monterrey and all of Saltillo can also be bypassed on this route. Coming in to Monterrey, you will see the "periferico cuota" sign to Saltillo. Turn right on it. It will probably cost you five to ten dollars, but it's worth it to bypass the Monterrey traffic! It will take you to route 40 to Saltillo.<p>After climbing up the mountains on route 40 going to Saltillo, you will see a "cuota" road sign directing you to Matehuala and San Luis Potosi, before you get to Saltillo. This is the road you will want to take to go to Mexico City. Tolls are higher on Mexican toll roads than they are in the States, but the free roads are so bad, or have so much tractor-trailer truck traffic on them, that it is well worth paying the tolls to escape this!<p>:
: : My wife and I want to visit family in Mexico City;and are considering driving from northern U.S. Does anyone have a helpful route, or know where I can find one online?<p>: Why are you driving through Brownsville? A wonderful route through Dallas, Austin, San Antonio to Laredo - crossing at the Columbia bridge on to Monterey, Saltillo,San Luis Potosi,Queretaro and on to Mexico City. If you are touring there are lots of interesting things along that route. If not touring it is 4 lane all of the way!!<p>

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4