Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Gulf of Mexico

tfyoung

Feb 25, 2007, 6:02 PM

Post #1 of 10 (9986 views)

Shortcut

Bringing Coffee Back?

Can't Post | Private Reply
We hope to come to the Xalapa/Xico/Coatepec area in a few months. I have recently started roasting coffee for my our own use here in the States. When we come down for vacation, will I be able to bring green unroasted beans back to the States with me? If I find some good stuff in Veracruz state, I'll be tempted to bring a sack full home. And can anybody point me to a good place to try out and buy some good beans.

hopalog

Feb 25, 2007, 7:57 PM

Post #2 of 10 (9970 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tfyoung] Bringing Coffee Back?

We got good beans (not espresso quality but good nonetheless) in small San Rafael along the Emerald Coast. Local there. In San Marcos (a small town between Coatepec and Xico) we liked Don Manuel (on the rt side of the road headed towards Xico). We looked at a few coffee places and liked his gourmet (espresso roast) the best. These are all roasted beans. You can get green beans in San Rafael and Xilitla. We weren't looking for green, but I'm sure you can get them pretty much anywhere that sell coffee in Coatepec or Xico.

Hell's Half Acre

Flickrlicious

"El Gringo Jalapeño"

Feb 26, 2007, 3:25 PM

Post #3 of 10 (9948 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tfyoung] Bringing Coffee Back?

An excellent coffee is "Cali" sold by Enrique Gutierrez in the Callejon del Diamante in downtown Xalapa. Another good brand is Cafe Pepe in Xico. Most coffee growers/processors can sell you "cafe oro"(same as "cafe verde").
Unfortunately I don't know how much coffee you can take into the States. Why don't you check with US Customs?
Suerte...Roy
Roy B. Dudley "El Gringo Jalapeño" See more about Xalapa at www.xalaparoy.com

hopalog

Feb 26, 2007, 5:54 PM

Post #4 of 10 (9933 views)

Shortcut

Re: ["El Gringo Jalapeño"] Bringing Coffee Back?

We checked the coffee at Cafe Pepe and found Don Manuel's "gourmet" blend to be a richer, darker, oilier blend. We preferred it, but like all things, everyone's taste is different. We missed you in Xalapa, Roy. We thought we'd stay only two nights (at El Carrizal) but ended up there a week. What an amazing place. We're at Catemaco right now and this year have learned that Veracruz state is a most beautiful state and definitely not to be rushed through on the cuota.

Hell's Half Acre

Flickrlicious

rainer

Feb 27, 2007, 2:56 PM

Post #5 of 10 (9903 views)

Shortcut

CBP in Houston lets you bring in 5 kg (11lbs) of coffee per person - non commercially.
Smile

Curandero

Mar 11, 2007, 3:09 PM

Post #6 of 10 (9846 views)

Shortcut

This is cool. Being in and out of Xalapa for so many years, and being a coffee fanatic, I read Roy's post with a nod of approval. I always got my coffee from Cali (not Colombia, but the little café up on Callejón del Diamante). They always roasted it according to my preferences, and they showed pride in their product. I remember getting a first hand explanation of how beans are chosen for uniformity, hue, and such. I agree that's a good source of coffee. I took two kilos back to the states in 2002. There are some cafeteros down in Pacho el Viejo (am I remembering that name right?) that are steadily improving in quality, too, but last I knew they sold to cafeterías rather than opening their own place.

Bubba

Mar 13, 2007, 12:29 PM

Post #7 of 10 (9813 views)

Shortcut

Re: [hopalog] Bringing Coffee Back?

We missed you in Xalapa, Roy. We thought we'd stay only two nights (at El Carrizal) but ended up there a week. What an amazing place. We're at Catemaco right now and this year have learned that Veracruz state is a most beautiful state and definitely not to be rushed through on the cuota.

Hopalog:

I second that and suggest to all readers that Veracruz state is extraordinary. If one pssses through there on the autopista from Puebla to Villahermosa one will have passed astonishing visual pleasures unimagined not that far from the cuota. We loved the Tuxtlas although despite the beauty of Lake Catemaco, we were a bit put off by its crass touristic bent and our bad lunch there but they have to make a living as well. And what a gorgeous lake.

Now that we will be driving periodically between Lake Chapala and Chiapas, we plan to explore this beautiful and misunderstood state. We have just discovered extraordinary Fortin de Las Flores and are thinking next of Coatepec as a detour from our long journey.

If one drives from Xalapa to Puebla over what I think is called the Sierra de Zacapoaxtla on the back road, one will discover the alpine high green mountains of Veracruz and Puebla States. A fantastic drive.

sfmacaws

Mar 13, 2007, 3:10 PM

Post #8 of 10 (9798 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Bringing Coffee Back?

...and that's just southern Veracruz! The north coast of the state and the lush rainforests in the foothills are incredible. We too intend to spend a lot more time in the state of Veracruz.

***OH, and the music!!! Son Jarocho is wonderful.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Bubba

Mar 14, 2007, 4:01 PM

Post #9 of 10 (9771 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] Bringing Coffee Back?

The music of Veracruz is far and away the best in Mexico in my opinion. .

trpt2345

Mar 17, 2007, 7:15 AM

Post #10 of 10 (9737 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Bringing Coffee Back?

Not just in your opinion, Bubba, it is my favorite as well. I'm not much for mariachi and you can have the norteno stuff, but son jarocho and marimbas, I can listen all day long. And probably into the night as well.

Michael McLaughlin "el bolillo ranchero"

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4