Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

sfmacaws

Feb 24, 2007, 12:21 AM

Post #51 of 60 (2088 views)

Shortcut

Re: [caroljruby] living in Lake Chapala area in a more Mexican neighbourhood

Can't Post | Private Reply
Please don't start this shorts thing again. Do you realize that Patzcuaro in February is the middle of winter and it's damn cold. Only someone from the really frozen north would consider wearing shorts there in the winter.

Over on the coast where it is warmer and even in the highlands in the summer, I see Mexican men and women wearing shorts and some of the tightest and shortest are on the Mexican women. You really can't generalize like that from one mountain town in the winter. Nor can use the Purepecha indigenous as an example. They are a separate culture from the general Mexican culture, they are mainly rural and they live by their own rules. Mexican culture is as sophisticated as any in the world, in urban areas you will find all the same clothing trends that you find in the US or Europe. Unless you are a runway model I think you should keep your opinions on who should be allowed to wear shorts to yourself. Glass houses and all.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Bloviator

Feb 24, 2007, 4:39 AM

Post #52 of 60 (2081 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] living in Lake Chapala area in a more Mexican neighbourhood

I'm with you. To summarize the previous discussion, Mexicans do/don't wear shorts in oceanside locations. Mexicans do/don't wear them in cities in the inland. Gringos do/don't care what Mexicans think. They do/don't wear them whenever they please.

When I go to a Mexican city - one with few or no other gringos, I never wear them. Sorry, I had to add that.

Don

Feb 24, 2007, 8:48 AM

Post #53 of 60 (2055 views)

Shortcut

Re: [caroljruby] living in Lake Chapala area in a more Mexican neighbourhood

In our farming community with a population of about 35,000, you will see a few shorts on some men and women, but that doesn't mean it is not acceptable to wear them. We are now winding down our Carnaval. A week ago Friday, we had our big parade. It lasted two hour and had a New Orleans Mardi Gras theme. People on stilts wearing costumes and fancily dressed dancers, that even danced with some spectators and some dancing on floats. Wearing shorts or cutoffs would be very conservative. In this 99% Mexican populated town with a number of Mexican retirees living here, some of the dancers on floats were topless and the costumes, on men and women dancers, almost didn't exist. This town is basically conservative and is not a poor town. So what you see, or what you think the people would approve, is not always accurate.

(This post was edited by Don on Feb 24, 2007, 8:53 AM)

Bloviator

Feb 24, 2007, 12:54 PM

Post #54 of 60 (2018 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Don] living in Lake Chapala area in a more Mexican neighbourhood

Oddly enough I first realized that shorts were not generally worn by Mexican men while sitting in the plaza of your little town - if Sayula is that town.

I was wearing them and was the only one except for one sort of strange looking Mexican man riding a bicycle around the plaza area. That wasn't you was it? I later saw him taking a siesta under a saguaro cactus.

Gringal

Feb 24, 2007, 2:32 PM

Post #55 of 60 (2003 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dlyman6500] living in Lake Chapala area in a more Mexican neighbourhood

Couldn't have been Don. He's wearing long pants in the picture.

Don

Feb 24, 2007, 8:28 PM

Post #56 of 60 (1970 views)

Shortcut

That was probably definately me taking my daily nap under the cactus. I do it often. As for shorts, I have worn a pair in town once or twice over the last 20 years and maybe some of the people in town had a good laugh, but they never complained.
But all kidding aside, you will see quite a few men wearing shorts or cut offs on a hot day, but everyone usually dresses a little more formal when enjoying the plaza, in the evenings, here in Sayula. Every Sunday evening when the plaza is full, they usually are dressed for church and enjoy the plaza, before and after services.

(This post was edited by Don on Feb 24, 2007, 8:34 PM)

Bloviator

Feb 25, 2007, 4:44 AM

Post #57 of 60 (1945 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Don] living in Lake Chapala area in a more Mexican neighbourhood

Getting back to the theme of living in the Lake Chapala area in a more Mexican neighborhood. I recently read of Cijititan (??) in Tony Burton's book on travel in western Mexico.

Yesterday I took a quick swing through there just to check it out. It is only 5-10 minutes west of the Chap-Guad hiway, is on a nice lake, has some nice housing developments going in, seems to be a real community with a pleasant plaza. It is about 25-30 minutes from Ajijic and no more than 20 minutes from the Guad airport. If I wanted to live in a community that has few non Mexicans, I'd definitely check it out.

I'm planning to go back and spend more time there soon. I was in a bit of a hurry yesterday and only gave it a quick once-over.

esperanza

Feb 25, 2007, 5:40 AM

Post #58 of 60 (1940 views)

Shortcut

I think that would be Cajititlán, no?

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

mkirkpatrick

Feb 25, 2007, 7:42 AM

Post #59 of 60 (1923 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] living in Lake Chapala area in a more Mexican neighbourhood

Bubba, you (probably unknowingly) gave me a real chuckle with your reference to "Loma del etc next to a Mexican village with real Mexicans".

I live in San Carlos,Sonora-in a small gringo community(about 25 years old) called Loma del Mar. And guess what? About fifty yards away in a village(built under the Infonavit program) live about 300 real Mexicans!!!

Incidentally,if one wants to see an example of gringoization,come to San Carlos-a building boom of condos,large,large homes and businesses-and less Spanish heard each day.

I have the same feelings as you express-people will do what they do,and all my whining will not change it. I am just less happy with my environment,as development continues.

I am thinking of moving on-if I live long enough!

cdubee

Feb 27, 2007, 10:37 AM

Post #60 of 60 (1846 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] living in Lake Chapala area in a more Mexican neighbourhood

Si. That is why the ???

Evidently I'm not me - using someone else's computer - dlyman6500

(This post was edited by cdubee on Feb 27, 2007, 10:39 AM)
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4