First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

jerezano

Nov 16, 2006, 8:46 AM

Post #26 of 40 (2696 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Oscar2] "mexicanizing US car?"

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hello Oscar2,

You said: According to the website it appears this can only be done at the Santa Teresa Port, or can it be done at any port of entry?

Apparently you didn't notice that the web site was a State web site. The Santa Teresa Port is designated as the only port in that state where the exportation can be made.

I would expect that other states such as Texas, California, etc. would have similar designated ports of exportation.

Adiós. jerezenao.

Oscar2

Nov 16, 2006, 9:05 AM

Post #27 of 40 (2692 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Don] "mexicanizing US car?"

I also believe you can import newer cars, but be prepared to pay " an arm and a leg".

Reading the above gave way to calling the Custom Brokers from the list which accompanies the informative website you provided.

Of the Custom Brokers provided I was only able to reach one who didn’t speak English. In essence, he said only vehicles 10 yrs old were granted National Plates and other vehicles less than 10 years were issued Placas de La Frontera, license plates that clearly state they are Border Plates.

He also stated that under the Border Plate condition you couldn’t drive more than 25 Kilometers from the border. He emphasized that if caught beyond this limit, confiscation is eminent.

I tried to speak to someone else to get his or her take on it but no one else was available. I’ll try again one more time to confirm elsewhere. Why, because MC’ers banter from experience that opinions, attitudes and more, are known to be influenced by more than just the direction of the wind. Laugh

Thanks for informative website and the heads-up Don.

Oscar2

Nov 16, 2006, 9:56 AM

Post #28 of 40 (2684 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] "mexicanizing US car?"

Googling brought up a number of other ports of entry available below. Speaking to broker’s about procedure and variances has proven a challenge for clarity. One says this, the other says that, and never shall the twain meet.

Obscurity probably serves its purpose. Weeding through it is an issue only ones need will find a solution for, as needed.

http://search.cbp.gov/...fl1=url%3A&ty1=w

jerezano

Nov 16, 2006, 4:46 PM

Post #29 of 40 (2657 views)

Shortcut

Hello,

Quote: I also believe you can import newer cars, but be prepared to pay " an arm and a leg".

Yes, you can import new cars but be prepared to pay. Somewhere on this thread I posted a Canadian Club Mexico url which quoted information back in 2004 from the Guadalajara Colony Reporter which outlined the costs, such as import tax on the full price of the car, an IVA tax on 85%? (I can't remember now) of the car's value, brokerage fees, etc. Look for that post.

Adiós. jerezano.

Don

Nov 20, 2006, 2:28 PM

Post #30 of 40 (2613 views)

Shortcut

I just talked to my son-in-law. He says the cars and trucks he brought in were 10 years old. He thought the VIN numbers have to start with 1,2,3 and maybe 4. He brought them in through Arizona. Takes about 1 hr. to do the paper work. He needed to show his Mexican Drivers liscense and the pink slip for the vehicle. They gave him a sticker for the window and the needed paper work. Cost was about $400 U.S. to $700 U.S. depending upon the vehicle. When he reached Sayula, Jalisco, he took the vehicle and the paper work to the Oficina La Recargadora in town and there got his Jalisco plates.

Oscar2

Nov 21, 2006, 4:15 PM

Post #31 of 40 (2565 views)

Shortcut

Thanks for the info Don, much appreciated.

Bloviator

Jan 20, 2007, 5:12 AM

Post #32 of 40 (2514 views)

Shortcut

A friend wants to nationalize his Nissan (built in Japan) auto at the border. Can one do so for an old car built in Japan?

I checked Rolly's website and it doesn't seem to be covered there and the discussion above doesn't deal with that question as far as I can tell. My impression is that a Japanese built car might not be eligible.

eengle

Feb 15, 2007, 2:15 PM

Post #33 of 40 (2458 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] "mexicanizing US car?"

This is more a new question than an answer to the last.

We brought a 10 yr. old Chevy S10 pick-up across at Brownsville. We asked to "import" it & customs said to do it IN Mexico.

Not true. BUT here we are in Merida with the truck which we drove here IN ORDER to nationalize & sell.

We went to the aduana in Progresso. They said it COULD be done HERE, but we need a customs broker.

The customs broker said, "NO". He said we had to drive it to Belize (closest border).

NOW what I'm reading here indicates that taking it out of the country & importing it from Belize may not even work.

HELP! Does anyone know? I'm going to the suggested web site, but my Spanish isn't great.

Rolly

Feb 15, 2007, 4:06 PM

Post #34 of 40 (2435 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dlyman6500] "mexicanizing US car?"

I have not dealt with nationalizing a vehicle on my website because I am convinced that it is an unfathomable can of worms. It is my contention that there is not a living soul who knows all the ins and outs. Smile

Rolly Pirate

yucatandreamer

Feb 15, 2007, 4:19 PM

Post #35 of 40 (2429 views)

Shortcut

Re: [eengle] "mexicanizing US car?"

I think you would rest easier and be happier if one of you drove it back to where it came from, sold it for the price of your air ticket back to Merida and be done with it. Your other option is to hope that there is another amnesty within your trucks lifetime. Then you can pay the fee to nationalize it and then sell it here. The Belize route is not as loosy goosy as it once was and I have friends who wasted both time and money trying to skirt the intent of the law by going there. But of course, your story may be different.

sfmacaws

Feb 15, 2007, 5:23 PM

Post #36 of 40 (2415 views)

Shortcut

Re: [yucatandreamer] "mexicanizing US car?"

I've also heard they have tightened up the Belize border.

If you want, I'll ask the guy here who does it pretty often how he does it. He might also do it for payment, I don't know.

The truck we bought from him with QRoo plates on it, he had brought down from the US, had it legalized into a Mexican friend's name and then sold it to us and we changed the title into my name.

If he will do it, he is very reliable and it is closer than going to Belize. Especially since you don't know if Belize is really an option.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

yucatandreamer

Feb 15, 2007, 6:30 PM

Post #37 of 40 (2400 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] "mexicanizing US car?"

I believe that this truck is also tied to the posters Visa. I am pretty sure that I read on Mex Connect that there could be problems for the person who originally brought it across the border unless the vehicle is officially removed from their possession. Something on the order that they would be liable if the truck should at some point be in an accident. Perhaps your friend is able to do this too.

sfmacaws

Feb 15, 2007, 6:48 PM

Post #38 of 40 (2395 views)

Shortcut

Re: [yucatandreamer] "mexicanizing US car?"

Yes, that does make it more complicated. I don't know, I've heard you can take a vehicle to Calica, the port over here and renew your import sticker, whether you can switch it there or legalize it there, I just don't know. All I can do is ask the guy here about it.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

sfmacaws

Feb 21, 2007, 12:25 PM

Post #39 of 40 (2314 views)

Shortcut

Re: [eengle] "mexicanizing US car?"

I just got a chance to talk to our "importer" friend last night and put your questions to him. The news is not good.

He says the Belize border is closed for car imports/nationalization. They said they were getting too many hand written bill of sales, too many stolen cars, etc.

He has a friend, a Mexican customs broker who is well connected, that has 2 cars sitting in the compound in Calica for the last month and he is unable to get them imported. These are cars that were driven in like yours and he now wants to nationalize. During this month, he has brought several cars in as direct imports from the US without a problem but they are not letting him change the import status on cars already in the country.

According to our friend, the car will have to go back to Texas to be legally imported and nationalized. He also says this can only be done by a Mexican national who has 3 types of ID. A voter ID card which proves he is a citizen, a bill or deed that proves his residence, and a driver's license. He also says that a custom's broker is required.

I wanted you to know I hadn't forgotten about asking, my friend has been on the road and just got back a few days ago. He's leaving again on Thursday and will return in 2 weeks, he's busy at this time of year.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

bournemouth

Feb 21, 2007, 2:21 PM

Post #40 of 40 (2299 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] "mexicanizing US car?"

There is a thread on www.chapala.com about legalizing vehicles, along with quotes of the appropriate law that Dave and others might want to read.

http://www.chapala.com/wwwboard/webboard.html

Scroll down to the thread "Legalizing car". The rub may be if Dave's vehicle was made in Japan rather than one of the Toyota plants in the US - but it answers a lot of questions that often come up.

Edited is make the link clickable.

(This post was edited by Rolly on Feb 21, 2007, 4:24 PM)
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4