Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Pancha

Jan 15, 2002, 2:23 PM

Post #1 of 15 (6345 views)

Shortcut

Car Permit Renewal

Can't Post |
Hello. I took out a permit for my car in Nuevo Laredo, Tamps. It will be expiring on Janury 24th. I am presently living in Mexico, and plan to stay in Mexico. Two questions-1. Do I really need to get the car permit renewed, and what will happen if I do not? 2. I am planning on going to the border in June to sell my car. Will I be able to get the comprobante, the proof that I took my car out of Mexico, even if I return it months after my permit has expired? 3. If I do get the proof that I have taken my first car out of the country, will there be any problem with bringing another American car in Mexico?<p>Thank you in advance for helping me out with this.

Rolly

Jan 15, 2002, 4:49 PM

Post #2 of 15 (6345 views)

Shortcut

Car Permit Renewal

Can't Post |
If you are here on an FM-3, you have no problems. The permit is good as long as your FM-3 is good.<p>If you are here on an FM-T, you had better head for the border, otherwise trouble awaits you at a later date. Trouble is mostly defined by the mood of the guy in the cage at the border -- or so I'm told.<p>The answer to question 3 is No, no problem bring in another car if the first one left offically.

Pancha

Jan 16, 2002, 11:13 AM

Post #3 of 15 (6344 views)

Shortcut

Car Permit Renewal-Rolly, help! lol

Can't Post |
Rolly, I am not here on an FM-3. I am here on a tourist Visa, is that what an FM-T is?<p>I am also in the process of getting my Mexican citizenship-I should have dual citizenship by April. Does this factor in at all, or is that a completely independent issue?<p>when you say problems with the guy in the cage, do youmean if I ever bring the car out of the States? What if Inever take the car out to the States?<p>Thanks<p>

David Eidell

Jan 16, 2002, 11:31 AM

Post #4 of 15 (6346 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
According to the sadder but wiser, if you do not take the car to the border and have Aduana scrape off the sticker before it expires, you won't be able to import another car. A computer now controls the system and it has a good memory.<p>
Saludos!<p>
David

Rolly

Jan 16, 2002, 11:42 AM

Post #5 of 15 (6347 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Citizenship has nothing to do with the car permit issue. The same rules apply to all. When you brought the car into Mexico, you made a pledge to take it back out of the country on or before a certain date. If you fail to do that you will be in trouble sooner or later. The “trouble” can be anything from a small fine to having your car confiscated. This can happen anytime and any place when the police stop you for whatever reason. A simple traffic infraction can result in your walking home. Like that idea?<p>Be wise, don’t delay, go to the nearest border and get legal.

Pernel

Jan 16, 2002, 12:04 PM

Post #6 of 15 (6345 views)

Shortcut

Confiscation!

Can't Post |
True Story:<p>A silver dealer with many years experience drove a new Nissan Maxima down to Taxco. He only had 10 days left on his Hologram/Sticker, that's OK he said when it was pointed out to him, I'll be back by then. Well, in Mexico it can take LONGER....... so he was 8 days expired when he set off north loaded with silver, a T.V./VCR, and personal effects. Entering D.F. he encountered a Hacienda Checkpoint, they pointed out that there is a 7 DAY GRACE period that he had exceeded, and would he mine driving his car to the impound area. He did and that was the last time he drove that $15,000 car! They did return all his personal effects, and silver.
I myself have noticed that at the checkpoints along the way, even the Army ones, they always check my Hologram frist, nothing like a new free to you Toyota truck!
If you plan to move permanently, get a Mexican Car!

Pancha

Jan 16, 2002, 12:10 PM

Post #7 of 15 (6344 views)

Shortcut

Sadder but Wiser, but in jail?

Can't Post |
OK, I hear what you are saying, David. But if I am never going to import another car from the US again, what is worst that can happen to me in Mexico if I am stopped with an expired permit? Does the car get confiscated? Do I get sent to jail? Because, quite frankly, I am thinking that if I am in Mexico permanently, I am never going to import another car-the next car that I purchase would be a Mexican car. Anytime that I go in and out of Mexico in the future would be by plane. So I would be interested in seeing what the consequences would be to driving with an expired permit in Mexico.<p>Thanks

Al

Jan 16, 2002, 2:35 PM

Post #8 of 15 (6345 views)

Shortcut

Car Permit Renewal

Can't Post |
Rolly,<p>What is the situations with pickups? Are they still being legalized?<p>Thanks

Rolly

Jan 16, 2002, 4:59 PM

Post #9 of 15 (6343 views)

Shortcut

Car Permit Renewal

Can't Post |
I don't know. <p>Some folks on MexConnect say old trucks are still being legalized. But my Mexican friends here say, No, the process is closed now but will reopen sometime in the future. One friend says he got his truck OKed last June just days before the legalization opportunity closed.<p>I am inclined to believe the local folks who have a strong motive for knowing the rules.

DZ

Jan 16, 2002, 6:15 PM

Post #10 of 15 (6344 views)

Shortcut

Pancha.

Can't Post |
Do not allow your car permit to expire; you'll lose your car and you will never be allowed to bring another non-mexican built car into Mexico. Period. Got it? Sheesh!

David Eidell

Jan 16, 2002, 9:00 PM

Post #11 of 15 (6348 views)

Shortcut

Blacklisted OnThe Computer

Can't Post |
I cannot act as your conscious.
But, here are some facts:
Illegally retaining or disposing of a imported car is a crime. It is a delito. I believe that it is a delito federal (but not quite sure about that).<p>The car is evidence. So it would need to join the ranks of the thousands of chocolates somehow. Is the car worth that kind of money for someone to pay thousands of pesos (maybe tens of thousands (?) ) to legalize under the table? <p>Ask around. You're going for dual-citizenship. What happens when Hacienda puts your name on the blacklist? I know a lot of gente who are afraid of the (new) long arm of Hacienda. Terrified might be a better word for it. Mexican prisons have their own legions of prisoners sent there by SHCP.<p>If the car is not worth much, go to any office of Hacienda, sign the title over and be done with it. If the car IS worth something, drive it to Tucson, sell it for transportation costs and then return to Mexico with a clear conscious (after of course turning in the sticker to Hacienda at the border).<p>If your motive is to sell the car in Mexico and make money, then you're going to become a criminal and your misdeed will just add to the fuel that powers Hacienda to demand harsh and unyielding rules for tourists who don't wish to break the law.<p>But the main thing to worry about is that database. They don't have to penalize you instantly. I keep hearing rumours about Hacienda tying the car permits into the FMT permission. If someone fails to bring back a car, then their name is going to be blacklisted from getting a tourist card*. And it would be a short jump from that to interferring with you getting your citizenship down the road.<p>IMHO it isn't worth it. Plus a lot of law-abiders get shafted in the process. But this is just my opinion.<p>
Saludos!<p>
David

Al

Jan 16, 2002, 9:34 PM

Post #12 of 15 (6344 views)

Shortcut

Car Permit Renewal

Can't Post |
Your friend "here" where is "here"?<p>
: I don't know. <p>: Some folks on MexConnect say old trucks are still being legalized. But my Mexican friends here say, No, the process is closed now but will reopen sometime in the future. One friend says he got his truck OKed last June just days before the legalization opportunity closed.<p>: I am inclined to believe the local folks who have a strong motive for knowing the rules.<p>

Ernie Gorrie

Jan 17, 2002, 1:17 AM

Post #13 of 15 (6341 views)

Shortcut

Listen To Yourself

Can't Post |
You made a written commitment to a foreign government.<p>Now you are asking if you should fulfil your commitment to that government which, by the way, you are asking to trust you by bestowing you with citizenship.

Rolly

Jan 17, 2002, 1:43 AM

Post #14 of 15 (6343 views)

Shortcut

&quot;Here&quot; is Lerdo, Durango -- near Torreon nomsg

Can't Post |
:

Bob

Jan 20, 2002, 8:25 PM

Post #15 of 15 (6346 views)

Shortcut

Blacklisted OnThe Computer

Can't Post |
: I cannot act as your conscious.
: But, here are some facts:
: Illegally retaining or disposing of a imported car is a crime. It is a delito. I believe that it is a delito federal (but not quite sure about that).<p>: The car is evidence. So it would need to join the ranks of the thousands of chocolates somehow. Is the car worth that kind of money for someone to pay thousands of pesos (maybe tens of thousands (?) ) to legalize under the table? <p>: Ask around. You're going for dual-citizenship. What happens when Hacienda puts your name on the blacklist? I know a lot of gente who are afraid of the (new) long arm of Hacienda. Terrified might be a better word for it. Mexican prisons have their own legions of prisoners sent there by SHCP.<p>: If the car is not worth much, go to any office of Hacienda, sign the title over and be done with it. If the car IS worth something, drive it to Tucson, sell it for transportation costs and then return to Mexico with a clear conscious (after of course turning in the sticker to Hacienda at the border).<p>: If your motive is to sell the car in Mexico and make money, then you're going to become a criminal and your misdeed will just add to the fuel that powers Hacienda to demand harsh and unyielding rules for tourists who don't wish to break the law.<p>: But the main thing to worry about is that database. They don't have to penalize you instantly. I keep hearing rumours about Hacienda tying the car permits into the FMT permission. If someone fails to bring back a car, then their name is going to be blacklisted from getting a tourist card*. And it would be a short jump from that to interferring with you getting your citizenship down the road.<p>: IMHO it isn't worth it. Plus a lot of law-abiders get shafted in the process. But this is just my opinion.<p>:
: Saludos!<p>:
: David<p>Don`t think that you can just drive a car with an
expired permit back to the border without risk.
There is a checkpoint between Guaymas and Hermosillo that makes spot checks.<p>

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4