Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

2mexico

Feb 9, 2007, 7:41 PM

Post #1 of 9 (4786 views)

Shortcut

Seasonal Living and Health Insurance

Can't Post | Private Reply
I am considering a roughly 50/50 split between living in somewhere in Jalisco and Northern Colorado in the US. Are there any other foks who do this, and have chosen to carry health insurance? I'm considering a high-deductible policy in the US (about $200 a month), and wonder if I need to carry this year-round, even though I would need to return to the US for any major treatment. A lapse in coverage could be a problem at some point.

In the past I have priced a Mexican policy (say, Lloyds) at around $1000 a year, and planned to use that for full time life in Mexico.

Interested in how other part-time folks handle this issue.

sfmacaws

Feb 9, 2007, 7:48 PM

Post #2 of 9 (4784 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stanwolf] Seasonal Living and Health Insurance

For the last 5 years we've spent half the year in Mexico and half in the US. We are both covered on my health plan, I picked Kaiser because it is cheaper but I can change it when I want. I also have a policy with SkyMed that will return either of us to the area of our choice - for us that is San Rafael, Calif Kaiser - if we are sick or injured and can be safely transported. It will also bring the other one back as well and arrange for a driver to bring our RV back. In Mexico, we pay for medical care as needed out of pocket. If it got really serious, we would return one way or the other to California. That seemed a reasonable plan for us. One just hopes that you can safely be transported before your money runs out. That's not an unreasonable hope in Mexico.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

hopalog

Feb 9, 2007, 10:40 PM

Post #3 of 9 (4760 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stanwolf] Seasonal Living and Health Insurance

We use SRI (something Risk International) and pay ~$2000 a year for a family of six. We have coverage in the US (subject to a family deductible of $15K) and Mexico. You must spend 6months outside the US in each calendar year. As time goes on they pay more and more; they'll pay for mammography for me this year but last year (our first) did not. You can get different tiers of payment/benefits.

They are recommended by USAA and that is a hearty recommendation in my book.

SPECIALTY. just remembered.

Hell's Half Acre

Flickrlicious

Brian

Feb 10, 2007, 5:37 AM

Post #4 of 9 (4749 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] Seasonal Living and Health Insurance

In Reply To
For the last 5 years we've spent half the year in Mexico and half in the US. We are both covered on my health plan, I picked Kaiser because it is cheaper but I can change it when I want. I also have a policy with SkyMed that will return either of us to the area of our choice - for us that is San Rafael, Calif Kaiser - if we are sick or injured and can be safely transported. It will also bring the other one back as well and arrange for a driver to bring our RV back. In Mexico, we pay for medical care as needed out of pocket. If it got really serious, we would return one way or the other to California. That seemed a reasonable plan for us. One just hopes that you can safely be transported before your money runs out. That's not an unreasonable hope in Mexico.

Jonna

We really do have a lot in common. I also used the San Rafael Kaiser for the time we were in the Bay Area. When we moved to TJ, I got my coverage to change to SoCal Kaiser. I had to give the Chula Vista maildrop because Kaiser does not offer care (other than emergency) to members who live outside their area of coverage. I learned from a kindly customer service rep that many retirees living in northern Baja still visit doctors at their clincs in the San Diego region. However, and this is what made me switch to Blue Cross, he said that whenever an incident occurred in Mexico requiring ambulance services, it triggers an investigation and when the physical residency is exposed, coverage is terminated immediately. In your case, legitimately living in the Kaiser area of coverage (I assume) for 50% of the time, you might fall between the cracks but I just thought I should pass along the information I learned by experience.

As a postscript, I remembered having answered this question once before but couldn't find it doing a forum search. Then, while browsing Google, I found this:

http://www.mexconnect.com/mex_/dt/dtensenadaretire.html

Obviously, my information might now be outdated! I didn't realize I had been around here so long :-)

Very old messages have been archived by topic. Perhaps, rather than suggest the usual "do a search of the forums" in response to newbies questions, we could include that they look here to see if there question has been covered already (with the caveat that the info is perhaps outdated) : http://www.mexconnect.com/mex_/dtindex.html

Brian

saludos
Brian

(This post was edited by Brian on Feb 10, 2007, 6:58 AM)

Jerry@Ajijic

Feb 10, 2007, 8:00 AM

Post #5 of 9 (4725 views)

Shortcut

Re: [hopalog] Seasonal Living and Health Insurance

Hopalog, could you give us the name of that SRI insurance company. I looked up SRI on Google and had no luck. Thanks

hopalog

Feb 10, 2007, 9:04 AM

Post #6 of 9 (4715 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jerry@Ajijic] Seasonal Living and Health Insurance

Here you go http://www.specialtyrisk.com/
We use Reside Prime (I think; I just keep renewing it :)). You download the application form, mail or fax it in and send in a check. Easier to do while you're in the US, but I'm sure it can be done from MExico also.

They have lots of other programs that might fit your needs better.

Hell's Half Acre

Flickrlicious

esperanza

Feb 10, 2007, 9:18 AM

Post #7 of 9 (4706 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Here you go http://www.specialtyrisk.com/
We use Reside Prime (I think; I just keep renewing it :)). You download the application form, mail or fax it in and send in a check. Easier to do while you're in the US, but I'm sure it can be done from MExico also.

They have lots of other programs that might fit your needs better.

I've spent some time looking at the website and the rate sheet. Would you mind telling us how your premium has changed every year at renewal time? The fine print says that the company reserves the right to raise your rate at annual renewal. Does it go up much?

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

hopalog

Feb 10, 2007, 9:37 AM

Post #8 of 9 (4699 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Seasonal Living and Health Insurance

I would say that over 3 years it has gone up around $100 or $150. The first year was low $1900, the second more and this year we paid under $2100 but I'm not exactly sure if it was $2034 or $2056 or something like that. Again, we're a family of six, so maybe they factor that in also. I think we get one or two of the kids free (who has 4 kids???). :)

Hell's Half Acre

Flickrlicious

Jerry@Ajijic

Feb 10, 2007, 9:36 PM

Post #9 of 9 (4638 views)

Shortcut

Thank you for your answer. Unfortunatly it is no help for me as they will not insure anyone over 74. Thanks anyway.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4