Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

Bevan

Feb 7, 2007, 5:22 PM

Post #1 of 7 (7523 views)

Shortcut

FM 3

Can't Post | Private Reply
I have had a FM3 for about a year which supposidly needs to be renewed every year. The original issue was in the states. I have been told it is easier to get it renewed in Mexico. I plan to be in PVR the end of Feb. Does anyone know where I should go to get it renewed and how much of a time hassel is it? Thanks, Bevan

sparks

Feb 7, 2007, 5:29 PM

Post #2 of 7 (7515 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bevan] FM 3

I'm sure this will be moved but what do you mean a 'hassle'. Either you need it or you don't. Immigration is where you go and where you should have gone with your first one. You can't renew on a tourist visit without proof of residence, income, etc

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

bournemouth

Feb 7, 2007, 5:37 PM

Post #3 of 7 (7508 views)

Shortcut

I suspect that if you never registered the FM3 in the place where you are supposed to be living, then the FM3 no longer exists and there is nothing to renew.

esperanza

Feb 7, 2007, 5:56 PM

Post #4 of 7 (7495 views)

Shortcut

Bevan, you can only renew your FM-3 in Mexico. Do you have the document? On the first inside page, there should be a date of issue and the date for renewal. You'll have to renew when you're in Mexico at the end of February.

Go to INAMI (Mexican immigration) and ask for a list of documents that you need in order to renew. Those normally include (but may not be limited to):
  • a copy of your valid passport
  • your current FM-3
  • proof of residence in Mexico (a Telmex bill or an electric bill for the place you live)
  • proof that you meet the income requirement to reside in Mexico full time
  • other documents that may be required at the INAMI office where you are renewing
The INAMI office where you go to renew your FM-3 will let you know how long the renewal process will take. Each INAMI office has its own way of doing things.

Unfortunately, no one here can give you ONE correct answer. As in most things Mexican, the answer is, "It depends".

Best of luck.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

jerezano

Feb 7, 2007, 8:50 PM

Post #5 of 7 (7464 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] FM 3

Hello,

bournemouth said: >>I suspect that if you never registered the FM3 in the place where you are supposed to be living, then the FM3 no longer exists and there is nothing to renew

Whether you "register" your FM3 or not it still exists. It is a document which belongs to the Mexican Government not to you. You are just entrusted with its care. Think USA passport.

If you have an FM3 in your name and in your possesion and want to extend it then fine. You must do that within Mexico. Prorrogations (extensions) cannot be done outside the country. Time it takes varies from one day to two or three weeks or more at the different offices.

If you have an FM3 in your name but have lost the document and have not reported it's loss, then you are in real trouble with a lot of paperwork and time. Immigration will NOT just issue you another.

"Registering" the FM3 puts yourself on the list of foreigners resident in México for the area in which you are living. This is for administration purposes. You have 30 days to do this after entering México. And DO NOT forget to register all later changes of address. There is a heavy fine for not registering the first time as well as for not reporting the changes of address.

México wants to find you if it should be necessary.

Adiós. jerezano.

bournemouth

Feb 8, 2007, 6:52 AM

Post #6 of 7 (7430 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] FM 3

One more small point - the OP should have entered Mexico within a certain time frame - 90 days maybe? - from the time the FM3 was issued. If this was not done, then the FM3 becomes invalid - no?

Rolly

Feb 8, 2007, 6:56 AM

Post #7 of 7 (7429 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] FM 3

"the OP should have entered Mexico within a certain time frame - 90 days "

Correct

Rolly Pirate

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4