Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

aikizen

Feb 4, 2007, 9:41 AM

Post #1 of 11 (9389 views)

Shortcut

Duty on Desktop Computer for FMT

Can't Post | Private Reply
I am planning on comming SoB on an FMT and getting my FM3, once there. I know I will have to pay a duty on my Desktop Computer. which is worth about $2,000. USD. Does anyone know what the apporximate duty might be on this item?

Thank you for your help

Rolly

Feb 4, 2007, 9:53 AM

Post #2 of 11 (9385 views)

Shortcut

Re: [aikizen] Duty on Desktop Computer for FMT

I have heard three different reports: 25%, 17% and free. Please let us know what you have to pay.

Best Wishes on your new adventure.

Rolly Pirate

Papirex

Feb 4, 2007, 10:13 AM

Post #3 of 11 (9382 views)

Shortcut

It is supposed to be 17% of the value of the computer. It will depend on the value that the ADUANA sets on it. I brought a used desktop computer here a few years ago. I had paid about US$1400 for it when it was new. It took the guy at the ADUANA an hour to decide it was worth US$1000 when I imported it. The import duty was set at US$170.

It is the same percentage for a laptop if you have one sent to you down here. I bought a laptop from a US company and had it shipped to me in Mexico a few years ago, the import duty assessed on it was 17%. If you carry a laptop with you when entering Mexico, they are duty free.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

aikizen

Feb 4, 2007, 2:06 PM

Post #4 of 11 (9366 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RexC] Duty on Desktop Computer for FMT

From your reply and Rolly's, it appears 17% is the going rate. Did you have the laptop shipped via UPS or other carrier? I have heard there is a lot of mail theft there. Will US Companies ship to a Mexican Address, if your credit card has a US billing address? - or Do you have another method you use? Is it safe to ship UPS from US to Mexico?

Thank you for your help :)

sfmacaws

Feb 4, 2007, 2:59 PM

Post #5 of 11 (9360 views)

Shortcut

UPS and FedEx are fairly safe but very expensive. If you are within Mexico, I've had good luck with Estafeta.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

hopalog

Feb 4, 2007, 5:07 PM

Post #6 of 11 (9351 views)

Shortcut

I had a laptop shipped to me in Mazatlan after warranty service had been performed in California. (long story) The shipper paid customs duties but I still had to pay something when I picked it up. Since FedEx doesn't personally deliver to Mazatlan (!!) they subcontracted to MultiPak. I picked the laptop up at the MultiPak warehouse in Mazatlan and still paid like 110 pesos for something. Honestly I didn't even care. :) The bad part is that the youngest then BROKE the damn thing about 2 weeks after I got it back. AND, when we got back to the states (and still had about 4 months of warranty left) we misjudged the warranty and took it in for service 2 WEEKS after the warranty had expired. So, due to faults on their end, being in Mexico and misjudging the warranty period, we actually had use of the computer from about January to March and two weeks in May. Ugh.

The entire point of this post is to let you know that even though FedEx might say they ship to a city (like Mazatlan) they may subcontract part out. Who would have thought that FedEx had no delivery to MAZATLAN???

Also (don't ask me how I know this) UPS will deliver to San Luis Potosi and Aguascalientes but not Zacatecas (but again, you won't know that until the subcontractor can't find Morelos, Zacatecas and you have to drive to freaking Aguascalientes to pick up your package).

Hell's Half Acre

Flickrlicious

Papirex

Feb 4, 2007, 6:09 PM

Post #7 of 11 (9341 views)

Shortcut

I had it shipped to me via Merkalink, http://www.merkalink.com.mx/ , I have an account with them. There are no membership fees. You only pay them when you have something shipped by them.

They use their own customs broker to determine the duty due, if any. They then ship goods into Mexico using The Estafeta Company. Estafeta is a very reliable Mexican shipping company. They are the FedEx of Mexico.

Merkalink will send you an Email telling you the amount of shipping charges and duty to be charged to your credit card before you approve it to be shipped. They will accept shipments from individuals, and not just from commercial companies. There must be an invoice with anything sent to them for shipment to you so they may calculate any duty due. I once had to scan and send them an invoice via Email; they accepted that invoice for use by their customs broker, for a box sent to us by a friend.

One caution is to be careful about having anyone send you food. They once refused to send me a box that contained among other things, several cans of Boston baked beans. I called them and they told me they couldn’t ship food items, even though they were not fresh. I had to pay the shipping charge to return the box to the sender.

Many online vendors will only ship an item to the billing address on the credit card being used. My billing addresses are all in Alaska. I once had to change the billing address for one credit card to the address of Merkalink in Texas. I changed the billing address online using my computer, as soon as the item was shipped; I changed the billing address back to Alaska.

If you look at their website, there is a link to change the language to English, but it is for the home page only. It will be a lot easier to use their service if you have some understanding of Spanish.

There is an 800 number that you can call to speak to one of their customer service agents. The chances of getting an English speaker at any time are about 50%. The chances that an English-speaking agent will be fluent in English are also about 50%.

It’s kind of a pain in the grommet to use, but it is the best service I have found so far to have things shipped to me here in Mexico. Under no circumstances will I ever trust the Mexican postal system. Against my advice, one of our daughters mailed a box to us here in Cuernavaca a few years ago. Predictably, it was stolen and never arrived.

I have had no problems having things shipped to me by our daughter here using FedEx, and UPS. Not many businesses in The US will ship anything to Mexico. I once had a router and some computer parts shipped to me here using Airborne Express, I had to call the vendor I was dealing with to get permission for them to ship to me here. Airborne Express was the only shipper they used.

Airborne Express is the pits in Mexico. It took me ten days to find out where my router was at, and to get it delivered, after it arrived in Mexico. Two-day delivery turned out to be twelve-day delivery with them, and a lot of work on my part. I will do without before I ever allow anyone to ship anything to me here again using that service.

It’s a different world down here. Don’t expect things to be as easy as they are up north.

Rex

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

johanson / Moderator

Feb 4, 2007, 6:14 PM

Post #8 of 11 (9339 views)

Shortcut

Re: [hopalog] Duty on Desktop Computer for FMT

Another alternative would be to buy a Dell for example in Mexico. Remember the costs are a little more, but should you need said computer repaired, it can be repaired here in Mexico. And of course you can choose to have your Windows operating system in English. For more info about Dell, Mexico, check out www.dell.com.mx or should you be in the right city in Mexico you could visit a Dell reseller.

The Dell rep here in Ajijic, Mexico, is Rod Collins. He has a showroom at his ISP, Lagunanet. just West of the Ajijic Plaza, one floor above the CIA, and across the street from Telmex

sfmacaws

Feb 4, 2007, 6:21 PM

Post #9 of 11 (9337 views)

Shortcut

That's good to know Rex, like I said I have had good luck with Estafeta. I shipped a bulky and expensive gift from Chapala to Akumal and it arrived quickly and with no damage. It wasn't all that expensive either and they helped me pack it better. They also delivered right to my friend's door.

I've also gotten FedEx deliveries here in Akumal, both for us and for friend's. It arrives, it is usually in good shape but it is very expensive. It is also almost always opened and sometimes has duty charged. Just an envelope with some mail in it for a friend was over $45 US.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Papirex

Feb 4, 2007, 8:06 PM

Post #10 of 11 (9322 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] Duty on Desktop Computer for FMT

Yeah Jonna, Estafeta is number one for me. I have ordered a few things here in Cuernavaca, and had Estafeta deliver them. They always find our house without needing to call us a couple of times to find out how to get here. Most of the delivery drivers for other companies don’t know the town at all. The stuff has always arrived promptly and undamaged. Their rates are low. If you want to see a guys face light up, tip the driver 10 Pesos.

FedEx and UPS are reliable, prompt, and expensive. All our US mail is sent to our daughter’s house in Fairbanks. She is good about filtering out all the junk mail and trashing it. At least twice a year she sends us our important mail for filing taxes, new credit cards, etc, my bank statements for filing for my FM3 renewal, and every couple of years new ATM cards. It averages a shipping cost of about US$80 each time.

The box with the mail in it has always been opened by Aduana to check for dutiable items. I have ordered some small items and computer programs and had them sent to our daughter. She takes the computer program CDs out of their original packaging, and puts them in a sleeve. She labels them as “documents”. I have never been charged any duty on the stuff she sends us.

It pays to treat your kids good when they are young, so they will do stuff like this for you later. I’m also counting on her to sneak smokes to me when I am waiting to kick the bucket in the nursing home someday.

Rex

sfmacaws

Feb 4, 2007, 9:23 PM

Post #11 of 11 (9314 views)

Shortcut

It pays to treat your kids good when they are young, so they will do stuff like this for you later. I’m also counting on her to sneak smokes to me when I am waiting to kick the bucket in the nursing home someday.

You're really right about that. I sent my son an email this week that said I was busy spending his inheritance and giving him the url for the house we bought. Within 5 min I got an email back that said, "Wow! I'm very excited to check it out, congratulations:-). I'm happy you are happy, and love you!" What a great kid!

Since he was young I've kidded my son that when I am old and in pain I expect him to get me the good drugs so I can sit in the sun on the front porch in a rocking chair and nod out. I have no doubt that whatever he needed to do to keep me happy and out of pain he would do.

In the meantime he entertains me with info on the latest tech stuff and truly enjoys my travels and adventures. When we were up in the mountains of Guatemala, he was on Google Earth giving me the altitude of nearby mountains and telling me where the road we were on ended up.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4