Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

gregg

Jan 28, 2002, 5:09 PM

Post #1 of 3 (2741 views)

Shortcut

pros/cons of buying a car in Mexico

Can't Post |
I live in Mexico permanently and am now considering getting a vehicle, after 7 years without one. Should I buy one here or trek north of the border to purchase, then re-enter Mexico? Am FM 3 holder.

Warren

Jan 29, 2002, 8:11 AM

Post #2 of 3 (2741 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
If you are buying new or fairly new you may be well advised to go north due to the $ for $ uplift that local taxes add. For an older vehicle I would buy here.

Andy in Monterrey

Jan 29, 2002, 11:55 PM

Post #3 of 3 (2741 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
I am also considering buying an older vehicle in Mexico. I am looking for a 4-door Nissan pickup truck. <p>However, there seem to be a number of people on this message board that would discourage the purchase of a used car in Mexico. Their point is that used cars are higher priced in Mexico than in the U.S. and in worse condition, one reason being because of the bad roads and "topes" that Mexican cars have to deal with. <p>I would like to hear your opinion on why it would be better to buy a used car here. Personally, I believe that I would probably have less problems with the "transitos" here if I were driving a car with Mexican plates on it. (It seems like with a lot of these "transitos", a car with U.S. plates on it spells dollar signs to them.) I have a BMW that I leave parked close to McAllen, Texas. I do not want to bring it to Mexico. I want the Nissan pick-up truck for use in Mexico. <p>: If you are buying new or fairly new you may be well advised to go north due to the $ for $ uplift that local taxes add. For an older vehicle I would buy here.<p>

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4