Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Willow

Jan 29, 2002, 2:15 PM

Post #1 of 1 (2005 views)

Shortcut

Driving Mexico - Belize - HELP! - 3 questions

Can't Post |
Hello - 29 year old single mom of an 8 year old girl here...<p>Considering driving from PA to Mexico and then into Belize, but I am completely confused about what I have to do to do this, and whether it is even a good idea - I would be traveling with my daughter.<p>I have a 97 Dodge Neon. What is the deal with the tax you have to pay at the border? Is it really $4000, or is this the upper limit, like for a BMW or something? My car is probably worth about $5000 right now. <p>Are the roads ok driving from Mexico to Belize without 4wd? I've heard varying accounts about how bad the roads are. Don't want to get stranded, but I'm ok with "bumpy" roads that won't terminally damage the car. <p>Is it safe to drive, as a 29 year old woman with an 8 year old girl? I have dark hair, and don't really look too 'american' (in terms of the stereotypical blonde J.Crew stereotype american), but my daughter has red hair and has attracted attention when I traveled with her in Italy, so I wonder if the same will happen in Mexico. I don't mind the attention, as long as it's "friendly" attention, you know. <p>

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4