Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

booboo9

Jan 30, 2007, 10:29 AM

Post #1 of 26 (20489 views)

Shortcut

laying a new concrete floor

Can't Post | Private Reply
We have 1 X 1 ugly floor tiles thru out the house, upon which we want to lay a new floor.
I have heard different stories.......most say to break up the tiles, to allow adhesion for the new concrete; then pour in layers, add maya metal, and add color as recommended on the other posts.
Is there any other method? I have heard about a glue; instead of the breakage method above.
And how much height are you really looking at adding, in the end? (the ripple effect)
Anyone?
Thanx

sfmacaws

Jan 30, 2007, 11:56 AM

Post #2 of 26 (20471 views)

Shortcut

Re: [booboo9] laying a new concrete floor

you're not breaking out pasta tiles are you? If you want new pasta tiles there is a town nearby where they are made. I visited a taller there once. Since the tiles are concrete, you could just lay them with some kind of mastic over the existing floor couldn't you?

If this is a stupid answer, I apologize. I'm not a builder and don't even play one on tv.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

booboo9

Jan 30, 2007, 12:17 PM

Post #3 of 26 (20466 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] laying a new concrete floor

that's ok......no they are not pasta. Newer, and uglier.

sfmacaws

Jan 30, 2007, 1:13 PM

Post #4 of 26 (20460 views)

Shortcut

ah yes, I can imagine. Since I've been looking at houses here this week, I've seen some incredibly ugly tile, both on floors and especially in bathrooms. What is it about pink that these Meridanos love so much?

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

yucatandreamer

Jan 30, 2007, 3:10 PM

Post #5 of 26 (20446 views)

Shortcut

There are nice pasta tiles with nice geometric or floral shapes and really ugly pasta tiles(bad 1960's linoleum) and both are concrete with designs on the top layer. They still make both types and there is a plant in Ucu and another one somewhere. They are porous and stain and they chip badly. I have previously mentioned how to contact some other people who are in renovation so I won't repeat myself. But generally I have seen these old tiles removed to be replaced. In my house I had all the old tiles removed. They were not particularly nice. The floors were then leveled and I had a faux terracotta put throughout the whole house with a matching 2 inch kick molding. They are not porous or slippery and are easy to replace if they chip. It was not terribly expensive to have done. People often comment on how nice my house is and it is the floors that they are admiring.
You have asked a lot of construction questions and I assume you plan to redo your house by yourself. If this is something that gives you pleasure then go for it, but laborers who do good tile work are not very expensive. Further when they tell me how something should be done I have learned that they are usually telling me that because they have a pretty good understanding of what the climate and conditions does to the houses around here.

sfmacaws

Jan 30, 2007, 4:23 PM

Post #6 of 26 (20434 views)

Shortcut

Re: [yucatandreamer] laying a new concrete floor

I'm sure I'm not the one you are referring to wanting to do the reno themselves, I'm not that dumb.

I do want to say about pasta tiles that the color is not just on the surface, it is most of the way through. The plant we were at had molds going back fifty years. The concrete is colored before being put in the molds. One of the things about Pasta tiles is that no matter how bad they are they can be ground down and buffed back with no loss of pattern or color. Some of the patterns and colors of the old ones can be garish but I like them anyway.

For more info, my favorite Mérida bloggers did an article on them. http://www.yucatanliving.com/...ove-those-floors.htm

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Rolly

Jan 30, 2007, 5:16 PM

Post #7 of 26 (20427 views)

Shortcut

It is not necessary to remove the old tiles. A top coat of fine concrete (about 2 inches) can be laid over the old floor for a smooth base for new the tile. This is what I did when I remodeled Dońa Martha's house. Look here: http://rollybrook.com/R03-11-29.htm I did the same thing in my house in California.

Rolly Pirate

sparks

Jan 30, 2007, 6:54 PM

Post #8 of 26 (20416 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] laying a new concrete floor

There is a type of self leveling cement but not real cheap. Might be hard to do a whole house or large room with it. I'd also be worried about the old tile lifting ... but if there's no sign of that

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

Rolly

Jan 30, 2007, 7:11 PM

Post #9 of 26 (20413 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] laying a new concrete floor

Lifting to where? With the weight of the new concrete top and new tile, the old stuff has no place to go.

Rolly Pirate

yucatandreamer

Jan 30, 2007, 9:17 PM

Post #10 of 26 (20395 views)

Shortcut

One of the best uses of pasta tiles I have seen in a renovation is to embed some of them into a polished concrete floor. If you have some nice ones in your house you can save the best of them in order to preserve the original beauty yet cut down on the expense of matching the old ones. This is also a technique that I have seen in some complete re-dos. The people bought a colonial facade and a yard and then built a home. There are architects in town who specialize in this and produce some fabulous homes. They are new and modern but retain the flavor of old Merida. The judicious use of embedded pasta tiles can be a beautiful addition to the home. Embedding then into a poured floor can save a lot of labor as well, since nothing is square and cutting to fit to the edges can be avoided in this way.

Cynthia7

Jan 30, 2007, 11:24 PM

Post #11 of 26 (20385 views)

Shortcut

Re: [yucatandreamer] laying a new concrete floor

Are pasta tiles what art historians and architects call Mission Tile floors.? If so I have them in my house and they are beautiful and wonderful to keep. It is a combination of marble dust and concrete..colored and packed hydraulically into molds. You can have everything from an oriental rug to a flower garden to a simple border in the floor. We had ours made in San Luis Potosi by a company that have been making them for generations. We used white ones in the baths, showers and counter tops. Many of the designs are religious..crosses, etc. because they were used in churches ..sort of like travertine marble would be used. They are impervious to wear and can be beautiful if selected carefully. They can use as many as five colors and you are charged by the color.

sfmacaws

Jan 31, 2007, 12:53 AM

Post #12 of 26 (20382 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Cynthia7] laying a new concrete floor

Yes.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

booboo9

Jan 31, 2007, 7:28 AM

Post #13 of 26 (20365 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] laying a new concrete floor

We don't want new tiles, but a colored concrete floor over the existing. Do you think that metal mesh, plus the weight, would be sufficient to hold it together?

NEOhio1

Jan 31, 2007, 7:29 AM

Post #14 of 26 (20364 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Cynthia7] laying a new concrete floor

Jonna, thanks for the photo they sure are something! An Cynthia7 - name and location in San Luis Potosi of the manufacturer you used for your tiles, please. Thanks

esperanza

Jan 31, 2007, 7:55 AM

Post #15 of 26 (20359 views)

Shortcut

Re: [NEOhio1] laying a new concrete floor

These mosáico tiles are still made in Jocotepec and Guadalajara, Jalisco.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

NEOhio1

Jan 31, 2007, 8:33 AM

Post #16 of 26 (20353 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] laying a new concrete floor

Yes, I have seen some made nearby me but they look like that twirl paint kit from when we were kids. Guess it'll be another exploring trip for us. Thanks.

bournemouth

Jan 31, 2007, 8:36 AM

Post #17 of 26 (20352 views)

Shortcut

Probably these people:

http://www.originalmissiontile.com/

(This post was edited by Rolly on Jan 31, 2007, 8:54 AM)

NEOhio1

Jan 31, 2007, 8:44 AM

Post #18 of 26 (20348 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] laying a new concrete floor

Wow what a visual treat. Thanks.

sfmacaws

Jan 31, 2007, 11:54 AM

Post #19 of 26 (20332 views)

Shortcut

Yes, that was a good link. Over here they are often laid, as on that website, so that they resemble a rug. Here where it is so hot, no one really wants a rug on the floor but you get the same look and design. I'm in love with the old pasta tile floors, and the houses here that they are in. Here's a link to one house that is representative. http://www.mexintl.com/...php?code=001501#link

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

NEOhio1

Jan 31, 2007, 2:03 PM

Post #20 of 26 (20324 views)

Shortcut

That is really a treat to look at....as is the real estate site.....too bad its so damn hot.....but, hmmmmmm...its been far colder here in Ajijic than I like. It has reminded me of Cleveland mid-May, overcast, dreary and wet/col that chills to the bone.....maybe its not too hot after all....and the floors are fabulous!!! I don't think they make that type here in Joco...

Cynthia7

Jan 31, 2007, 3:24 PM

Post #21 of 26 (20315 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] laying a new concrete floor

This is the company that made our tiles. They recommended a water based sealer. We used it when we put our floors down 12 years ago and it is just like it was then. Much of what we used was solid quarry red. The rooms with rugs made of the tiles are borders and a few rooms have a design in the middle. We didn't do the sala or kitchen..you've given me the urge to do them now.

esperanza

Jan 31, 2007, 7:55 PM

Post #22 of 26 (20296 views)

Shortcut

Comida today was at Restaurante La O, corner Simón Bolívar and General San Martín in Guadalajara. Coincidentally, the floors--indoors and on the terraces--are entirely done in the same beautiful mosáico that Jonna shows us from Mérida. The whole restaurant is beautifully appointed, but not in that over-the-top, theme park way. And oh, those floors!

Incidentally, the restaurant was great. Service was attentive, food delicious, price is right. 130MN buys an appetizer (mine was scampi, about 8 garlick-y and buttery shrimp), a trip to the excellent salad bar (ensalada caprese, deep fried spinach--outstanding--quiche, a big variety of cold veggies, etc), and an entrée (mine was the cut of beef called vacío, known in the States as hanger steak). Really excellent, and I got to look at the floors all the time we were dining.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

sfmacaws

Jan 31, 2007, 9:01 PM

Post #23 of 26 (20287 views)

Shortcut

You're right Anita, most of the time it is very hot here. BUT... this whole week it has been in the high 70's - low 80's and really beautiful.

I looked at a complete fixer today, it's over 100 years old though and the bones are beautiful plus it still has the floors and the doors and it has a small garage. That's really rare in the centro. I'm debating.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

NEOhio1

Feb 6, 2007, 7:40 AM

Post #24 of 26 (20241 views)

Shortcut

Solid foundation in Mexico Jonna? Well this would be quite the project. Bones, bones and bones....what a load of fun!!!

We are way too cold here - my nose was cold the entire day recently....that would be when I wear a turtleneck and while sitting, playing cards or watching tv and my habit would be to pull the turtle neck up over my nose - taught all the daughters that habit....I thought I had fixed it so I would never do it again...well its happening here in Mexico, and I can't be consoled in anyway, even the palm in the yard doesn't do it.

It is however, youngest daughter reports, -20 below at noon in west Cleveland and everything is closed because when the schools close everything else pretty much does too...not so much about the snow this time, but the cold for transporting kids.

In jest Saturday night I mentioned wanting my money back....my man said "no way", but cold is cold.

And there isn't anything here anywhere near as much fun as that place looks to be. And we do like a good portion of our fun by way of fixing a structure.

I am probably the only American woman south of the border with 3 camel back couches and her very own 3-story scaffolding!

See you soon, we are excited.

sfmacaws

Feb 6, 2007, 12:02 PM

Post #25 of 26 (20223 views)

Shortcut

I had a long conversation about concrete floors with the architect before making an offer on the house above. I really like the look of the polished concrete. It seems whiter down here than what I have seen in the US which has a gray color. This stuff almost looks like marble or polished marble dust.

Only 2 rooms in the house still have the original pasta tiles so all the other rooms + the new upstairs will have polished concrete with new pasta tiles either as a border or a pattern in the middle. He likes to do the walls in the bathrooms from polished concrete as well and I like that too. Concrete is really cool, literally it is cooler than a lot of other surfaces, and it has a look that I really like and you can shape it into just about anything. After going to Las Pozas and seeing what was done there out of concrete, I'm inspired.

Can't wait until we can have guests Anita, so you and Ken can come over. One main reason I wanted to add a floor is that the house without the 1950s stuff we want to tear down, does not have room for a guest room. Oh NO! So, by adding a floor we can have a large master suite and also a guest room downstairs. Oh! I'm so excited.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4