Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Learning Spanish

hopalog

Jan 27, 2007, 10:57 AM

Post #1 of 11 (4465 views)

Shortcut

When is "x" sh and when is it silent?

Can't Post | Private Reply
I learned the letter "x" in the Yucatan penninsula and wonder if there is a regional pronounciation of the letter? It seems to be "sh" in the penninsula, but Xilitla (SLP) is HEELEETLA not SHEELEETLA and I wonder why?

Hell's Half Acre

Flickrlicious

doogie

Jan 27, 2007, 11:20 AM

Post #2 of 11 (4461 views)

Shortcut

Re: [hopalog] When is "x" sh and when is it silent?

I don't believe x is ever silent. It is usually pronounced as j but occasionally it is pronounced as English sh, but the only example I can think of is Xochimilco, the canals in the DF.
Doogie,
Tapatío de corazón

esperanza

Jan 27, 2007, 11:53 AM

Post #3 of 11 (4458 views)

Shortcut

Re: [doogie] When is "x" sh and when is it silent?

In the Central Highlands, the 'X' is usually pronounced as 'H' (i.e., México, Xalapa) In the deep south, the 'X' is pronounced as 'SH'. Of course Xochimilco is pronounced soh-chee-MEEL-co.

A dear friend who shall remain nameless but who spends a lot of time in Akumal used to pronounce the ubiquitous OXXO stores as OSHO. Tickled me no end. Here in the Central Highlands we call it OKSO. I emailed the company a while back to ask them which was the prefered pronunciation--OKSO it is.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

sfmacaws

Jan 27, 2007, 11:53 AM

Post #4 of 11 (4458 views)

Shortcut

Re: [doogie] When is "x" sh and when is it silent?

X is very different over here in the Yucatan than in other parts of the Republic. I don't believe that X is normally a part of spanish but is in words that come from indigenous languages. You figure that all indigenous languages here were 'translated' into spanish spelling and in some areas they picked the letters for a sound differently. I'm sure someone will have a better idea how it happened.

At any rate, X in the Yucatec Maya speaking part of Mexico is pronounced more or less as ish or sh. Xcacel = sha-cell, Xcalak = ish-ka-lock.

Up in the Huasteca, it's a different language that the letters are trying to emulate, so Xilitla comes out as you said hee-leet-la

In the highlands, it's a bit different as well. Take Oxxo, the store where I learned some of this from Esperanza. I think that comes out sort of like awks-oh

OK, now the pros will give you the real answer ;)

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

sfmacaws

Jan 27, 2007, 11:55 AM

Post #5 of 11 (4457 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] When is "x" sh and when is it silent?

Ooops! the dear friend from Akumal (me) was typing at the same time as the friend from Guadalajara.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

esperanza

Jan 27, 2007, 11:58 AM

Post #6 of 11 (4455 views)

Shortcut

Too funny, Jonna.

Remember that the Spanish 'O' is (as far as I know) always pronounced 'OH'. Hence OKSO. Or OHKSOH.

I think I have a headache.

LOL.

hopalog

Jan 27, 2007, 2:09 PM

Post #7 of 11 (4443 views)

Shortcut

Well, that explains it. I figured it had something to do with the indigenous Mayan, Nauthal (sp?) and others I'm forgetting as I don't remember "x" anywhere in South America.

And I have always pronounced "Oxxo" as "OSHO". :) The first one I ever saw was in Playa del Carmen; don't know how we missed them in travel from Los Mochis to the Yucatan...

Hell's Half Acre

Flickrlicious

jerezano

Jan 27, 2007, 6:44 PM

Post #8 of 11 (4436 views)

Shortcut

Re: [hopalog] When is "x" sh and when is it silent?/Xilitla

Hello:

For what it is worth when I visited Xilitla in 2004 I gave a ride to a laborer walking toward town. He said he was a native born in the area. He had lived there for all his life and he seemed to be about 55 years old. He pronounced Xilitla as Shee LEAT lah. Yet when I stopped later on and talked to a Federale standing by his cruiser, he said He LEAT lah. I don't think the Federale was a native.

To really know one would have to spend more time there than I did. One day. I was very disappointed in the James National Monument. It has not been cared for at all and was rapidly disappearing. I wouldn't make a special trip to see it as I did.

Still, if one is passing through the area, it is an interesting stop.

Adiós. jerezano.

hopalog

Jan 27, 2007, 9:04 PM

Post #9 of 11 (4428 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] When is "x" sh and when is it silent?/Xilitla

Completely OT, but I have to say that last summer we absolutely ADORED Jerez. You're from the same Jerez that is just south of Zacatecas? If so, we just adored the town. Got there on a Sunday and watched all the cowboys parading their horses, the bees buzzing the candied squash and fruit and people. Oh, people everywhere. The buildings in that town are real beauties in and of themselves.

Hell's Half Acre

Flickrlicious

sparks

Jan 28, 2007, 5:26 AM

Post #10 of 11 (4423 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] When is "x" sh and when is it silent?

I think the x in Xochimilco is more just an S than SH. We have a 7 year old by the name of Xiomara that is SEA-o-mara

Sparks Mexico - Sparks Costalegre

esperanza

Jan 28, 2007, 7:31 AM

Post #11 of 11 (4419 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] When is "x" sh and when is it silent?

In Reply To
In the Central Highlands, the 'X' is usually pronounced as 'H' (i.e., México, Xalapa) In the deep south, the 'X' is pronounced as 'SH'. Of course Xochimilco is pronounced soh-chee-MEEL-co.

Uh huh, that's what I said.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4