Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

sparks

Jan 25, 2007, 5:26 PM

Post #1 of 8 (5519 views)

Shortcut

The potters of Cocucho - Michoacan

Can't Post | Private Reply
I've seen Cocucho pottery in the past in Patzcuaro and heard that they are very cheap if you visit the town - but I was unsure where it was or how hard to get to. The road is between the Paricutin turnoff and Paracho and paved all the way. Very pretty country. There are a few stores on the plaza that sell the pottery but more interesting are the little factories that make them - and sell as well. The place we found was on one corner of the plaza and the family showed us the whole process more or less.

http://sparks-mexico.com/...7/cocucho/index.html

Sparks Mexico - Sparks Costalegre

toddmc

Jan 26, 2007, 6:40 AM

Post #2 of 8 (5489 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] The potters of Cocucho - Michoacan

Nice pictures, did you purchase any pottery yourself?
Was it as inexpensive as you heard?

The wife and I are planning to head out there to do a little shopping ourselves.
When we were in Santa Clara Del Cobre, we saw a fountain that we liked and were considering putting in our home in Patzcuaro.
But the cost of the copper pots, were out of our price range, we were thinking to do the same sort of fountain but with the Cocucho pots.

I have attached a picture of the copper version, now just imagine that with those beautiful pots!

Todd
Attachments: fountain (2).JPG (43.8 KB)

esperanza

Jan 26, 2007, 7:06 AM

Post #3 of 8 (5481 views)

Shortcut

Re: [toddmc] The potters of Cocucho - Michoacan

The Cocucho pots are low-fired and very fragile, in spite of their size. At one time I owned five of them, ranging in size from a bit over 1.5 meters to about 50cm. They were placed under roof in my patio. Over the course of about five years, the pots deteriorated badly due to wet weather, in spite of being protected. I don't think that they would hold up as a fountain.

This is in no way a criticism of the pots--they are gloriously beautiful and well worth whatever price is current. They just need to be placed judiciously.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

toddmc

Jan 26, 2007, 7:19 AM

Post #4 of 8 (5478 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] The potters of Cocucho - Michoacan

Thanks for the info, that would have been a bit of a fiasco!
We will definitely have some in our home, but not for a fountain.
Perhaps we will go to Tlalpujahua and check out some cantera ones!

There is also some beautiful cantera work nearby in Tzintzuntzan, but I have heard some interesting things about Tlalpujahua
http://www.mexicodesconocido.com.mx/...ub=75&idpag=1818

What can I say, any excuse for a day trip!

Todd

sparks

Jan 26, 2007, 7:57 AM

Post #5 of 8 (5465 views)

Shortcut

I bought the 4 in the foto and am embarrassed to say I paid $30, 40, 50, 50 pesos for them with no bargaining. I did buy an embroidered blouse for $300. With 5 kids in the house I didn't want anything that would have to sit on the floor. We came back with a van full anyway of things from all over the area.

Sparks Mexico - Sparks Costalegre
Attachments: MVC-716S.JPG (25.2 KB)

esperanza

Jan 26, 2007, 7:57 AM

Post #6 of 8 (5466 views)

Shortcut

I don't know where you live, Todd, but you can also find marvelous cantera in Degollado, Jalisco--about two hours east-northeast of Guadalajara. Sounds like Tlalpujahua and Degollado have this in common. Tzintzuntzan does have about half a dozen talleres de cantera, though.

Tlalpujahua has several claims to fame. In addition to the cantera work, the town annually produces literally millions of fine blown glass, hand-painted Christmas ornaments.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

TigerTonio

Jan 26, 2007, 8:02 AM

Post #7 of 8 (5461 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] The potters of Cocucho - Michoacan

Just wanted to add that Tlalpujahua is pretty doggone fabulous. On the gorgeous scale of 1 to 10, I'd place it at 10. But If you're not into mountains and forests, I'd steer clear.

Anonimo

Jan 28, 2007, 12:12 AM

Post #8 of 8 (5416 views)

Shortcut

This is a fiasco:

This is an olla:

:-)

"En Boca Cerrada No Entran Moscas."

Saludos,
Anonimo