Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

jennifer rose

Jan 19, 2007, 7:32 PM

Post #1 of 35 (9511 views)

Shortcut

??? It's What's for Breakfast

Can't Post |
I don't like most breakfast foods, especially those available at a restaurant in the U.S. Mexico has the right idea about breakfasts: chilaquiles, molletes, tacos, and steak. I'm very happy when I go to just about any Mexican restaurant (well, all of the restaurants in Mexico are Mexican, for that matter), and get my favorite: a piece of meat, any kind as long as it's not ham or lunchmeat, a slice of tomato, and a slice of avocado. At home, it's whatever is leftover from the day before.

So, what is everyone else eating in Mexico for breakfast these days?

(This post was edited by jennifer rose on Jan 19, 2007, 7:33 PM)

esperanza

Jan 19, 2007, 8:54 PM

Post #2 of 35 (9501 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] ??? It's What's for Breakfast

Can't Post | Private Reply
Well! I was recently in Morelia, where I was invited to breakfast at a local eatery. My choice was a bowl of barbacoa con consomé and my oh my, it was delicious. Beat the heck out of Zucaritas.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

song_of_joy

Jan 19, 2007, 9:47 PM

Post #3 of 35 (9491 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] ??? It's What's for Breakfast

I like huevos divorciados.

sfmacaws

Jan 19, 2007, 10:12 PM

Post #4 of 35 (9489 views)

Shortcut

Here in the Yucatan, most of the workers have Coca Cola for breakfast. Sometimes accompanied by black beans and tortillas.

I like huevos motuleńos although I'm a big fan of mexican bacon and often have that with huevos revueltos.

I happen to love American breakfasts although not always as the first thing I eat when I get up.

At home, I make a smoothie with some protein powder, a frozen banana and orange juice.

Oh, and good coffee. Unfortunately that is more difficult to find in Mexico. I bring a 6 month supply of Peet's every time I cross the border. I can hardly admit it but Mimi likes Nescafe, made with hot milk.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Anonimo

Jan 20, 2007, 1:47 AM

Post #5 of 35 (9484 views)

Shortcut

Whatever's around in the fridge and sounds good. Often tortilla espańolas in one variety or another. Lately I have fulfilled cravings for biscuits with sausage gravy.

Yesterday, just a thick slice of whole grain homemade bread, with Manchego (melting type) cheese and some thinly sliced chorizo Espańol. Anteayer, a bowl of home made chile con carne over grits plus cheese, chiles serranos, cilantro and crema on top.

Egg on steamed rice, with Kikkoman is a favorite fallback.

Never cold cereals, never waffles, and rarely, pancakes.

"En Boca Cerrada No Entran Moscas."

Saludos,
Anonimo

Bloviator

Jan 20, 2007, 3:56 AM

Post #6 of 35 (9483 views)

Shortcut

Sorry, but Zucaritas are the breakfast of champions. I used to have to have my fix of Honey Bunches of Oats. Now it is Zucaritas.

My standard restaurant breakfast and often early lunch is huevos revueltos con tocino y papas. You can eat them anywhere - no matter how scurvy the restaurant. No one can screw that up, though no matter how emphatic I am that I want NO FRIJOLES!!!!, about half the time they come with frijoles.

Yesterday at Barra de Navidad, I ordered my huevos with local fruit. It turned out to be a banana and some papaya - not much for $30 pesos. Considered I had driven 4-1/2 hours for the meal, I did not think I got what I paid for.

Of course, the Sunday brunch at the Real de Chapala is great. Lots of typical Mexican dishes. The buffet is a good experience for someone not familiar with a lot of the Mexican cooking. My wife, who drinks her coffee black with nothing, usually empties a couple of huge vats of the flavored coffee.

(This post was edited by dlyman6500 on Jan 20, 2007, 3:59 AM)

Rolly

Jan 20, 2007, 9:41 AM

Post #7 of 35 (9467 views)

Shortcut

1. cold left over pizza

2. cheeseburger

3. taquitos

4. gorditas

and always my own special smoothie made of a banana, strawberries, diet coke, water, crunchy peanut butter and orange flavored metamucil (I know it sounds awful, but it is very good!).

Rolly Pirate

Waterlily

Jan 20, 2007, 11:00 AM

Post #8 of 35 (9460 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] ??? It's What's for Breakfast

Leftover pizza (warmed), BLT, grilled English muffin with pesto mayo, Swiss cheese and tomato, chilaquiles, molletes and this morning the very best slice of homemade peach/nectarine pie.
Almost never regular American type breakfasts.
Love Mexican breakfasts with savory/spicy offerings besides the usual eggs. Also the fruit that someone else peeled and sliced.

TigerTonio

Jan 20, 2007, 11:38 AM

Post #9 of 35 (9456 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Waterlily] ??? It's What's for Breakfast

In Morelia (or wherever I'm at in Mexico), my preferred breakfast is Chilaquiles rojos - sin cebolla, sin crema, con queso. And some type of fruit on the side.

In Chicago, it's usually half a bowl of "Newman's Own" cereal from Costco in Silk brand soy milk. And a side of fruit.

lajollamis

Jan 20, 2007, 11:46 AM

Post #10 of 35 (9455 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Waterlily] ??? It's What's for Breakfast

This morning it was Enchiladas Verdes de Pollo con Frijoles refritos (without any grease), left over from dinner I made two nights ago. YUM!

When we go out to eat for breakfast here in Fort Worth, we always head to Esperanza's, on the north side, for an authentic Mexican breakfast of Chilaquiles con chorizo, Migas con Pollo, or Huevos Mexicana or Rancheros. The folks who own this place, the Lancartes, are from where else? Michoacan, the La Piedad area! And they know what they are doing on all of their dishes. Like my Mama used to make! They also own the Fort Worth landmark Mexican restaurant, Joe T. Garcia's, which has food for those with a tender palate.

To me, an American breakfast is boring unless you use a good shake, or three, of Valentina's Salsa Picante. I think it is the best and it's from Guadalajara. No pancakes, please.

Buen Provecho!
Maria Luz
Live life well!!!

TigerTonio

Jan 20, 2007, 11:50 AM

Post #11 of 35 (9454 views)

Shortcut

Re: [lajollamis] ??? It's What's for Breakfast

In Reply To

To me, an American breakfast is boring unless you use a good shake, or three, of Valentina's Salsa Picante.
Buen Provecho!
Maria Luz

I couldn't agree with you more! (Well, good shake of a decent salsa/hot sauce is good for me)

Ed and Fran

Jan 20, 2007, 8:00 PM

Post #12 of 35 (9422 views)

Shortcut

I guess we're not very adventurous. Six days a week we have cereal (lately it has been avena, taking advantage of the cooler weather) but usually raisin bran for me, ChocoZucarritas for Junior.

Sunday is our day for reinforcing the insides of our arteries with bacon and eggs. Usually sunny side up for me, scrambled with salchicha for Junior, and scrambled with something thrown in for Fran. (Although when we have 'almuerzo' during the week it's likely to be eggs too...)

If we go out for breakfast at a restaurant in town, it's usually "boccoles negros rellenos". Hard to find these too far from home as 'frijoles negros' are a necessary ingredient, and you don't get very far from here until you hit the land of 'fijoles bayos'.

In D.F. or other civilized place, it's usually huevos rancheros or huevos a la mexicana. Fran is fond of chilaquiles (and sometimes orders them), which I find too filling.

Regards

E&F

arbon

Jan 21, 2007, 10:02 AM

Post #13 of 35 (9397 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dlyman6500] ??? It's What's for Breakfast

Can't Post |
Sorry, but leche caliente is the breakfast of champions, at the rancho. (with grated chocolate and cane sugar alcohol)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

esperanza

Jan 21, 2007, 11:14 AM

Post #14 of 35 (9386 views)

Shortcut

Re: [arbon] ??? It's What's for Breakfast

Mmmmm...pajarete! Squeezed fresh out of the cow!

sfmacaws

Jan 21, 2007, 12:10 PM

Post #15 of 35 (9379 views)

Shortcut

urg! I'll stick with my apple cinammon cheerios and Lala milk from a box...cold.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

arbon

Jan 21, 2007, 1:52 PM

Post #16 of 35 (9369 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
"Squeezed fresh out of the cow!"

But after her calf has butted, sucked and got her to drop a little. (past your eyes milk Jonna)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(This post was edited by arbon on Jan 21, 2007, 1:54 PM)

arbon

Jan 21, 2007, 2:25 PM

Post #17 of 35 (9359 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
The funniest story about pajarete was this shortened version:

The friend of a friend has a large herd of cattle about 15 mins' out of town, but he keeps 1 milking cow in town for daily needs, .........his politician son who has nothing to do with the ranch, or the cow, invited a 10 man mariachi band to enjoy pajarete the morning after. ( as the story goes)

As an aside.
The same politician son, who would be an honorary member of the "Tall Tale Club" NOB, had my Veterinary Professor friend in silent tears, when he was telling a tale about what had happened another night during the same fiesta.

It is true that the tall stories were told.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

sfmacaws

Jan 21, 2007, 3:24 PM

Post #18 of 35 (9352 views)

Shortcut

Re: [arbon] ??? It's What's for Breakfast

I used to be a more adventurous eater in my youth, age has hardened my ideas of what is good along with my arteries.

In my 20's we went on a week long horseback ride through the mountains in Vera Cruz, a friend of mine from DF, another gringa and myself led by her cousin or nephew or something. Every morning we would start the day with hot milk from the brahmin cows up there + some presidente brandy we kept for this. I figured it was one way to pasturize it and it made the day start better. It must have worked as I didn't get sick.

The rest of the day we drank pulque which we bought in coke bottles from the little tiendas in the mountain villages and which looked only vaguely filtered. We also poured the pulque over our shoulders and on our hands and face to keep the mosquitoes off and we rubbed it into sore muscles at night. Great stuff! The hard part was staying on the horse late in the day.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Bubba

Jan 22, 2007, 9:26 PM

Post #19 of 35 (9311 views)

Shortcut

OK, Already:

I don´t eat breakfast except on the road but here woud be my menu:

A few pousse-cafe defined as the strongest and darkest French cafe express with Calvados consumed in the French style followed, after I had sufficiently mellowed out from the Calvados, by Huevos Moltulenos with a searing salsa picante, extra tortillas and fresh orange juice. I might also indulge in a sliced mango in season.

Then, I will need to go back to bed for a while.

Mimi´s love for Nescafe may not be so ill founded, check out the Southern Mexico Forum where I plan to post about that.

(This post was edited by Bubba on Jan 22, 2007, 9:30 PM)

Anonimo

Jan 23, 2007, 1:30 AM

Post #20 of 35 (9301 views)

Shortcut

Yesterday, breakfast was Hot leftover homemade pizza, from Spark's visit here on Saturday.
Typical pizza below (not the most recent.)

Buen provecho,
Anonimo

Oscar2

Jan 23, 2007, 2:12 PM

Post #21 of 35 (9273 views)

Shortcut

As mentioned before, huevos rancheros or ala Mexicana are a restaurant favorite. Once in awhile I enjoy a “good” tamale with the above breakfast. Street vendors at times specialize in tamales and dually so, capitalize on their quality for reoccurring patronage.

That said, what I found was some restaurants who don’t serve tamales for breakfast, at times, when asked, will not only allow you to open one up but will also heat them for you to be eaten with your order. I liked this very much. Now try and do this NoB........

Another surprise we found very tasty was the Café de Joya. We usually have café con leche but they recommended we try Café de Joya, as is, without leche or sweetener and boy, was it good.

At home, it’s a whole different number. Protein mix, blueberries or strawberries with chipped ice, cold water and a touch of sweetener, make a somewhat filling breakfast smoothie. Sometimes accompanied by a sliced delicious, cold Fuji apple and of coarse coffee.

Consistent with this number and other times, no fat vanilla yogurt, cottage cheese, blueberries or strawberries, chopped walnuts and a hint of sweetener make for a breakfast bent on keeping the pounds down.

During the week and at home it’s like being in training but when the weekends roll around, its time for other treats including Mexican food really enjoyed.

(This post was edited by Oscar2 on Jan 23, 2007, 2:41 PM)

esperanza

Jan 23, 2007, 3:21 PM

Post #22 of 35 (9262 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Oscar2] ??? It's What's for Breakfast

Ummm...Oscar...that would be café de olla...coffee from the pot.

You can easily make it for yourself at home. Do you use a Mr. Coffee or another, similar kind of electric coffee pot? After you measure the water into the machine, put a cone of piloncillo (Mexican brown sugar) in the glass or metal coffee pot. Add a stick of canela (cinnamon) to the coffee in the filter. Once your coffee is brewed, bingo! Café de olla. You can tweak the recipe to your particular taste: more brown sugar, less cinnamon, more cinnamon.

See how you like it, a little memory of Mexico right there where you are.

And one other little thing...two are tamales, one is a tamal.

ˇProvecho!

Bubba

Jan 23, 2007, 3:50 PM

Post #23 of 35 (9255 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Oscar2] ??? It's What's for Breakfast

Another surprise we found very tasty was the Café de Joya. We usually have café con leche but they recommended we try Café de Joya, as is, without leche or sweetener and boy, was it good.

You know, Oscar, I enjoy your posts and am glad you enjoy cafe de joya (olla) . But here is an observation.

Traditionally, in most parts of Mexico, including the famous coffee growing regions in Oaxaca and Chiapas, coffee is not a favored beverage. The cafe de olla you enjoyed has cinnamon and brown sugar in it because it is typical tasteless American weak swill with cinnamon and sugar added to make it palatable. Now, that´s OK. I am not in any way criticizing you, but just pointing out a fact.

When we have breakfast with indigenous friends in Oaxaca, coffee is never served. Rather, they serve the Oaxacan version of cocoa which is really a froth made with cocao beans, water, sugar and cinnamon. They love it but I find it dreadful.

In the city of Oaxaca, you will find it difficult to buy a decent cup of coffee outside of the tourist oriented zocalo. In the countryside, in this famous coffee growing area, you will not find coffee at all except Nescafe in a jar which you mix with hot water which might make you very sick unless the water has been boiled for at least three minutes..

(This post was edited by Bubba on Jan 24, 2007, 9:59 PM)

Bloviator

Jan 24, 2007, 6:06 AM

Post #24 of 35 (9221 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] ??? It's What's for Breakfast

When we travel around Mexico, Nescafe is often the only choice at roadside restaurants. At first I was really put off, remembering Nescafe from a million years ago in a different lifetime. As I have had to drink it, I have come to find that if mixed properly, it is quite good. Not good enough to buy and keep at home, but acceptable.

Thanks to Bubba for warning me about the problem of proper heating. I doubt seriously that the water we get at roadside restaurants - we try to pick ones that aren't too scurvy - is boiled sufficiently. I hope it is at least bottled water. So far, I have not gotten sick and I have been able to get my regular caffeine fix when regular coffee is not available.

It's interesting that many Mexicans don't drink coffee and it often is not available.

Anonimo

Jan 24, 2007, 6:54 AM

Post #25 of 35 (9216 views)

Shortcut

Today; freshly baked cornbread; home made sausage chili with beans. Fresh squeezed orange juice.

Buen provecho,
Anonimo
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4