Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Jean

Jan 22, 2007, 6:24 AM

Post #1 of 41 (4964 views)

Shortcut

Saying Goodbye - Disparaging Remarks

| Private Reply
The recent post about a Canadian couple that were part of a hit and run accident at Lakeside, and the disparaging remarks made by some posters about Canadians in general has made me realize that this forum is not where I want to be.

Thin skinned, I guess I am, but after 6 years of listening to these remarks, I've had it. Why Americans feel they have to put down Canadians is beyond me. Our soldiers are fighting your war in Afganhanistan and dying there and yet you give no credit to that, but think it's really funny to belittle us at every chance you get.

When 9/11 happened it was Canada that took in over 40,000 Americans who were stranded. A tiny little town in Gander Newfoundland was there for Americans.

The list could go on, but why bother, it would only give you more fodder for your cruel treatment of Canadians.

How truly sad that Americans feel this way about us. I mean that....how truly sad.

Jean
Retirement Communities
http://www.retirecommunities.com

(This post was edited by Jean on Jan 22, 2007, 6:28 AM)

johanson

Jan 22, 2007, 8:03 AM

Post #2 of 41 (4904 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jean] Saying Goodbye - Disparaging Remarks

| Private Reply
I can't understand either some of the remarks made by my fellow Americans about Canadians. If they were just kidding, it would be OK. But some of them really believe what they are saying. Sadly I have heard that same type of talk from some of my gringo friends at Salvador's.

I grew up along the Canadian border in the state of WA and and have always been exposed to the folks from the cold north. They seemed just fine to me. Sure there were good ones and bad ones just like there are good and bad folks from WA or TX.

I am sorry to see you go Jean. You will be missed.

And you forgot to mention WW II. Most of us Americans think the war started on Dec 7, 1941. We forget that the Canadians started fighting in Sep 1939

(This post was edited by johanson on Jan 22, 2007, 10:17 AM)

jaybear

Jan 22, 2007, 8:50 AM

Post #3 of 41 (4884 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Saying Goodbye - Disparaging Remarks

| Private Reply
Sad to say, there is a lot of "putting down" of people here on various grounds! There are a lot of people visiting and moving here who do not seem to have the slightest interest in being nice or caring what people think of them! I find it odd, since we must all make new friends and contacts here.

Okay, I did find the cartoon of the "typical Canadian" dress code funny, but I would happily laugh at a cartoon of a typical New Englander dress code, too.

We were pretty ignorant about Canada and Canadians when we moved here, but we have enjoyed learning more about Canada both from people we meet and from satellite TV--we use the Canadian one and get a lot of programs about Canada.

The only generalization I can make is that many Canadians we meet are more polite than we are, and they remind us of the Brits we have met, who are also typically more polite and gracious than us and have taught us a lot over the years. Maybe it is the old British Empire influence.

Bubba

Jan 22, 2007, 11:11 AM

Post #4 of 41 (4849 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Well, Jean:

It´s a good thing you are not a caucasian from the deep southern United States where your region of birth would identify you, no matter who you really were, as an ignorant redneck shoeless clodhopping moonshining poorly educated trailer trash racist pig bigoted xenophobic holy rolling reigious zealot who doesn´t know his ass from a hole in the ground.

Or perhaps you could be from Paris which would identify you as a rude morally loose urban kamikaze driver looking down your nose on anyone from the provinces and snotilly asserting the superiority of Parisan culture and food while buying up all the choice provincial land throughout France for vast sums just for weekend barbeques

Or, perhaps you could be a Texan which would prove that you are an.... But, wait, Texas stereotypes are all true. Poor example.

The folks in Mexico City disdain Guadalajarans while Guadalajarans make fun of Lakesiders, Chapalans make fun of Ajijicians who make fun of Chapalans and they all look down on Jotopecans who look down on El Chantians and all of these petty little jealousies are a silly part of human nature.

I really don´t know much about Canadians and until I moved here I had met very few of them. Most of those I have met here are pleasant and seemingly intelligent people. but it seems to me that many Canadians posting here have a chip on their shoulders. Lighten up.

By the way, I watch quite a bit of Canadian television and I see the way Canadians from various provinces make fun of each other so get off your high horse and simply return tit for tat. eh?

(This post was edited by Bubba on Jan 22, 2007, 12:52 PM)

sfmacaws

Jan 22, 2007, 11:45 AM

Post #5 of 41 (4840 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Saying Goodbye - Disparaging Remarks

| Private Reply
Well said Bubba, I agree with all of it. Especially that part about the chip, size of the Nunavut sometimes eh?

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

wendy devlin

Jan 22, 2007, 3:29 PM

Post #6 of 41 (4796 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] Saying Goodbye - Disparaging Remarks

| Private Reply
Where's Nunavut? I know!

Growing a thick skin imho, is important to handling feed-back on internet forums.
by now, must look... somewhat...'repitilian':)

Thing is...cyberspace is different than reality...freer...less conforming.
Make many of these same comments face-to-face...and possibly reap immediate consequences or long-lasting consequences.

Trouble is...after a number of years, cyber-space starts resembling real-time.

(This post was edited by wendy devlin on Jan 22, 2007, 5:05 PM)

Bloviator

Jan 23, 2007, 4:48 AM

Post #7 of 41 (4718 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wendy devlin] Saying Goodbye - Disparaging Remarks

| Private Reply
My wife is aghast that I meet people at the airport, invite people to dinner, interact with them in various ways. She says that I don't know them. She's right, but after dealing with someone for over a year through the forum and PMs, unless they are really intent on scamming, one can get a fair read on them.

The only one who ever really surprised me was Bubba during his tequila tinged days. We had been having a series of clashes and he invited me to his home for a beer. He was a most gracious and interesting host - go figure.

I did have one really negative experience when one gentleman, who had been particularly insulting to the whole forum and had been the object of some scathing posts on my part, invited me to meet him in the Ajijic plaza. I thought that it was nice that he wanted to have a face to face to make up. However, his next post informed me that he knew where I lived, was stronger than I, younger than I, and could beat the crap out of me. I passed on the wonderful opportunity to meet him in the plaza.

Part of his act was to say goodby to the forum in a most hostile and insulting manner. Nevertheless, he continued to post for quite a long time.

(This post was edited by dlyman6500 on Jan 23, 2007, 4:50 AM)

dtracy8671

Jan 23, 2007, 10:34 AM

Post #8 of 41 (4666 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dlyman6500] Saying Goodbye - Disparaging Remarks

| Private Reply
Let me guess......hmmmmmmmmm :-)

Bubba

Jan 24, 2007, 9:50 AM

Post #9 of 41 (4558 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
You know, Dlyman, I remember that guy threatening you by saying he was younger than you and, basically, could whip your ass. I have been posting on these forums for almost six years and, as you know, have never retreated from controversy. but I´ve never seen an open threat of violence in all that time except for that post. You were wise to avoid that guy. He´s off his rocker to do that. Some guy used to threaten me in PMs a while back but never in a public post.

I want to say one more thing about Jean´s post concerning disparaging remarks and her self-proclaimed thin skin. All humans are prejudiced by nature. In fact, prejudice arises from experience and is a way that our brains help us navigate life. If you are a Sunni walking down the street in Bahgdad and see a bunch of armed Shiites in the back of a pickup truck, you pre-judge that it would be prudent of you to duck into the nearest coffee house for a while to avoid being tortured to death.

Jean is upset that posters from The U.S. make prejudicial remarks, albeit often in a light hearted vein, about Canadians. Because of that, she elects to avoid the forums on Mexico Connect.

In 1967, shortly after the Watts Riots, I moved from Alabama to Los Angeles. I went to compete in the banking job market with a thick southern accent and a degree from a substandard southern state university during a time when the civil rights struggle was at its peak. As a white boy from Alabama I had the Freedom Riders, Birmingham police dogs, a presumption that I was an ignorant racist and all this other baggage riding on my back. Now, when you are in your 20s, poverty stricken and trying to make a meager living, the notion of your inferiority because of your region of origin becomes quite a burden to overcome. Well, I didn´t have the option of simply fading away so I went to interviews with all that baggage and, eventually, won the game. After a while, I learned that the thick southern accent worked to my advantage because so many people I met thought I was an ignorant clodhopper and competed with me carelessly. I often kicked their butts and I still do. I dealt in words for a living and you don´t mess with no southern boy when it comes to word wars.

So, my point, Jean, is this. Never get angy, get even.

(This post was edited by Bubba on Jan 24, 2007, 9:54 AM)

Gringal

Jan 24, 2007, 10:18 AM

Post #10 of 41 (4545 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Good points, Bubba. Having grown up in Southern CA, I moved to S.F. in my twenties and was shocked to discover that San Franciscans are prejudiced against people from the south of their own state. Seems it's human nature to be clannish.

The trouble is, not everyone is a fine enough wordsmith to get even. They know it, and end up not only feeling insulted, but also helpless to successfully retaliate in kind.

I'm still trying to figure out what superannuated teenager threatened Dlyman. And why? Mystery. Nobody is likely to threaten Bubba with those dogs around!

sfmacaws

Jan 24, 2007, 10:51 AM

Post #11 of 41 (4532 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Saying Goodbye - Disparaging Remarks

| Private Reply
My guess includes a SNORK!

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

ms mac

Jan 24, 2007, 11:32 AM

Post #12 of 41 (4517 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
HA! Whatever became of the SNORKER?
ms mac

Bloviator

Jan 24, 2007, 11:52 AM

Post #13 of 41 (4509 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Why are we suddenly infested with Pedro's SNORK!!?

He is one of the premier posters on the new Lake Chapala Living forum, where his SNORKS are driving me mad.

bournemouth

Jan 24, 2007, 1:55 PM

Post #14 of 41 (4489 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I think one of the above posters thought your potential assailant was Pedro.

Bubba

Jan 24, 2007, 2:01 PM

Post #15 of 41 (4485 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Now, come on Dlyman, Pedro the SNORK! has become far more civilized over at Chapalaforum. com thanks, in part to the civilizing influence of Professor Bubba who has taught our rustic friend from The Frozen Tundra to say "The rain in Spain stays mainly in the plain."

There is no question that Pedro can be crude and overly direct but I tell you this. He is a decent man and was drummed out of certain forums by a cabal of creepy self-righteous frumps determined to turn Lake Chapala into their version of Yazoo City.

You would actually like him. I promise you.

Bubba

Jan 24, 2007, 2:07 PM

Post #16 of 41 (4482 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Saying Goodbye - Disparaging Remarks

| Private Reply
bournemouth:

I don´t want to sound like I´m defending the clown from the Frozen Tundra, but, as one who read the threats against Dlyman/Tenista, I can assure you that was not the SNORKER. I think I know who it was but I don´t want to wade into someone elses´s swamp. Too may snakes there.

(This post was edited by Bubba on Jan 24, 2007, 2:09 PM)

Rolly

Jan 24, 2007, 2:45 PM

Post #17 of 41 (4466 views)

Shortcut

The Snorker

| Private Reply
Along the way as he moved South from Canada, Pedro and his delightful wife spent a day with me in Lerdo. In person, he is nothing like his online persona. He is an interesting gentleman whom I am pleased to call a friend. And his wife is even nicer (and smarter).

Rolly Pirate

(This post was edited by Rolly on Jan 24, 2007, 2:47 PM)

deGimp

Jan 24, 2007, 3:03 PM

Post #18 of 41 (4460 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Jean,
The place you're looking for doesn't exist. It's a lot like the fantasies that our NOB brothers and sisters bring down to Lakeside and then are shocked to learn the streets are not paved in gold, but rather cobbles. That along with attracting highly intelligent and sophisticated folk it also attacks people like.... all those folks back home.

When I moved from California (having been born & lived there 29 years) to the Dallas/Ft. Worth area I had preconceived notions (that's prejudice in $100 words) about Texans and I can assure they they had the same notions about the "Granola Eater." Their favorite joke at the time was "You know why Californian's like that granola stuff so much? Nope, Jake, I don't? It's because just like them, it's full of Fruits, Nuts, and Flakes." And that my dear Jean was one of the nicer ones.

This foro or any other foro that isn't run under Fascist rules is going to have subtle and not so subtle prejudice, bigotry, and ignorance. It's also going to have folks that joke about such things. Sometimes it's easy to tell the difference and sometimes not. What I will say is that when someone gets truly out of line there will be others who will chastise either by post or PM.

Do what you must, but trust me on this one, their is no Utopian foro.

deGimp
I reject your reality and insert my own!

sfmacaws

Jan 24, 2007, 3:48 PM

Post #19 of 41 (4449 views)

Shortcut

Re: [deGimp] Saying Goodbye - Disparaging Remarks

| Private Reply
I've heard all those fruit & nut jokes and the ones who spell it with a K, I'll tell you though they got nuthin' on this native Californians view of Tex-ass. I can't even bring myself to register my car and RV there to save some money, I just couldn't bear to drive around with that plate. That's why South Dakota is better for ex-pats and RVers, no one has an opinion about South Dakotans except maybe how do they survive the winters. For sure, no one questions why they are down in Mexico in January.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Bloviator

Jan 25, 2007, 6:03 AM

Post #20 of 41 (4380 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Read carefully. I only said the SNORKS were driving me mad. I agree completely that he has become a paragon of virtue on the new forum and I fully credit Bubba for the transformation.

Bubba, you have done wonders, oh great guru. We all bask at your feet, hoping for some of your wisdom to overflow on our unworthy selves.

You are right, Bubba, that last paragraph is not totally sincere. However, you have done a lot to help the new forum and have been most helpful in many ways now that you are no longer experiencing the tequila sunrises - and sunsets.

I have no money, so your banking wisdom is lost on me, but your critiques of Lake Chapala make me think and your travel information and advice have been most helpful - especially the advice to travel to Vera Cruz through Xalapa, which was a wonderful journey.

No the one who threatened me was not the snorker.

MargoMac

Jan 25, 2007, 6:19 AM

Post #21 of 41 (4379 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Saying Goodbye - Disparaging Remarks

| Private Reply
To Johanson about Canadians,
I believe it is out of line to say that ". . .If they were just kidding, it would be OK," to say disparaging remarks about Canadians.
There would be less war in our world if people accepted others and kept their disparaging remarks to themselves, including put downs they advance as "just kidding."
It does not help but does toss fire onto already flaming opinions about other people and their lives.
It certainly does not change opinions. One thing we have an abudance of are opinions.
Words are powerful and there is generallly truth behind every opinion given including the addition of "I was just kidding."

ms mac

Jan 25, 2007, 6:47 AM

Post #22 of 41 (4369 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MargoMac] Saying Goodbye - Disparaging Remarks

| Private Reply
Golly, if people can't kid anymore it will be a sad world, I'm afraid.
ms mac

MargoMac

Jan 25, 2007, 6:58 AM

Post #23 of 41 (4362 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ms mac] Saying Goodbye - Disparaging Remarks

| Private Reply
Just imagine how much more wonderful and far less sad many in our world would be if people said positive, uplifting things about each other rather than put downs and disparaging remarks. It would bring smiles and encouragement to others. We have enough negativity to deal with as it is. Kindness, soft words go a long way, further by far than any disparaging remarks . . . including the "just kidding."
Again . . . there is always, at minimum, truth behind every word spoken.
"Just kidding" is generally a way to hide behind what a person means.

ms mac

Jan 25, 2007, 7:45 AM

Post #24 of 41 (4348 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Margo, maybe it's the culture. My family are all Irish, and if I didn't learn to take kidding at an early age, my life would have been a disaster.
ms mac

Bubba

Jan 25, 2007, 7:46 AM

Post #25 of 41 (4346 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
The reason that Canadians come in for so much ribbing is that some who post on the forums are so transparently easy to goad.

Bubba to Saskatchewan friend: That is the flattest and most uninspiring landscape on the planet.
Saskatchewanian: Yeah, it´s great. If your dog runs away you can spot him 15 kilometers away.

Personally, I like to pick on Texans as some of them are so easy to offend over the most innocuous insults.

On the other hand, if you are an Alabamian, Mississippians are great fun to pick on because they almost always have a clever rejoinder. People from the deep south have been the object of ridicule for so long that we´ve turned mutual insults into a game. It´s better than shooting at each other.

If you think it´s bad in North America, you would really be offended in Europe where the insults among regions and nations flow like wine.

In Europe, where they are either killing each other or laughing with each other about each other, they televise international games where teams from various countries compete in stuff like sack races and problem solving. Watching this is amusing as each national group lives up to its stereotype. German teams are highly organized and disciplined. Italian teams are totally disorganized and the French are somewhere in between and never win. I could go on but you get it.

Norwegians think it is hilarious to tell you that, in Sweden,, auto makers have to put the windshield wipers on the inside of the windshield. I have no idea why that´s so funny to Norwegians.

In Canada they are producing a new television show called Little Mosque on the Prairie which is a comedy having fun with Musims in Canada. One of my favorite Canadian shows is Trailer Park Boys which relentlessly makes fun of people inhabiting trailer parks. There are several other Canadian comedy shows that are over the top in many ways. I can tell you from watching Starchoice that Canada is a multi-cultural society with a fine tuned sense of humor. Maybe its just that some of the Canadians who move to Lake Chapala who are a bit thin skinned.

Lighten up, folks.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4