Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

hassmarciaj

Jan 19, 2007, 7:37 AM

Post #1 of 23 (2573 views)

Shortcut

moving belongings to Mexico with FM3

Can't Post | Private Reply
In August 2006 I received my first FM3 which will be good for the next 4.5 years. I left all my household belongings in USA. When I apply for a second FM3, i.e., I will be in my sixth year of retirement, is it possible to move one's household into Mexico at that time, making the move within the 6 months of the issuance of the new booklet. I have owned my home in Mexico since 1995 but have only recently retired to live here full time.

Marcia Hass

jerezano

Jan 19, 2007, 9:47 AM

Post #2 of 23 (2544 views)

Shortcut

Re: [hassmarciaj] moving belongings to Mexico with FM3

Hello Marcia,

You asked: >>When I apply for a second FM3, i.e., I will be in my sixth year of retirement, is it possible to move one's household into Mexico at that time, making the move within the 6 months of the issuance of the new booklet.

Perhaps Jennifer Ross or Rolly can give you a definite answer. I cannot. But, your new FM3 will specify that you have lived in México from the date of your first entry---in other words you are beginning your sixth consecutive year in México.

Because of that, I would suppose (but I'm not certain) that NO, you will not be able to apply for a Menaje de Casa. You could ask Immigration at the time you apply for that FM3, but they might not know since the Menaje de Casa is for the Customs people (Aduana).

I would advise that you import ONLY the heirlooms that you can't live without, and since they are used any duty should not be prohibitive.

Good luck. Adiós. jerezano.

vilmacortez

Jan 29, 2007, 10:16 PM

Post #3 of 23 (2477 views)

Shortcut

Re: [hassmarciaj] moving belongings to Mexico with FM3

How were you able to obtain an FM3 for 4.5 years? I thought you were only able to get them 1 year at a time.

esperanza

Jan 30, 2007, 1:38 AM

Post #4 of 23 (2469 views)

Shortcut

Re: [vilmacortez] moving belongings to Mexico with FM3

Vilma, the FM-3 document (it looks a little like a passport) is issued for one year, but in the booklet are pages for four annual prorrogas--extensions. The one-year original document plus four extensions mean that the FM-3 can be in force for five full years. At the end of the five-year period, if you intend to stay in Mexico, you simply apply for a second FM-3 and a new booklet is issued.

You can apply for your original FM-3 either in Mexico or at a Mexican consulate outside Mexico. All renewals must be done IN Mexico.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

jerezano

Jan 30, 2007, 8:57 AM

Post #5 of 23 (2432 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] moving belongings to Mexico with FM3

Hello,

Esperanza, you said: >>You can apply for your original FM-3 either in Mexico or at a Mexican consulate outside Mexico. All renewals must be done IN Mexico

As I understand it that replacement (NEW) FM3 must also be done in Mexico. Am I wrong?

Adiós. jerezano.

esperanza

Jan 30, 2007, 1:07 PM

Post #6 of 23 (2402 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] moving belongings to Mexico with FM3

As far as I know you are correct.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

gurley

Jan 31, 2007, 6:48 PM

Post #7 of 23 (2328 views)

Shortcut

Re: FM3

FM-3. Ahh as our planned move is getting closer to reality, many questions come to mind. I've searched for a clarification re the income requirement for an FM-3, but didn't come up with the answer - so will pose it here:

I've read that a bank statement proving the $ amount is generally how someone proves that they meet the monetary requirement. What I'm not sure of is this. Do you have to prove that the amount of money is ADDED to the account every month, or simply that the amount (likely those SAME dollars just sitting there) is in the account for the number of bank statements that they require?

I love spending time on MexConnect - and look forward to your wisdom and advice as I have more questions to ask in preparation for our move!

Gracias
God Bless the World - No Exceptions!

Rolly

Jan 31, 2007, 8:01 PM

Post #8 of 23 (2316 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gurley] FM3

Added each month. For more details read here: http://rollybrook.com/...o_move_to_mexico.htm

Rolly Pirate

juditha16

Jan 31, 2007, 8:36 PM

Post #9 of 23 (2308 views)

Shortcut

Income requirement vary depending on the consulate or city where you apply for the FM3. Rolly has the official formula, based on a multiple of the Mexican minimum wage and the exchange rate. INAMI in Morelia is happy with three months' bank statements showing the required deposit each month. (They don't ask where it comes from.)However, the Mx Consulate in Miami wanted to see proof of a retirement pension.
Buena suerte.
Judith

gurley

Feb 3, 2007, 9:47 AM

Post #10 of 23 (2238 views)

Shortcut

Re: [juditha16] FM-3 and Proven Income

Mil Gracias Rolly y Judith,

We have a new Mexican Consulate in my (at the moment very cold - 25-40 degrees below zero Fehrenheit) home state of Minnesota. And you wonder why I'm looking forward to life in Mexico!? Actually I rather like winter, but this is a bit extreme. Painful and dangerous to exposed skin. So, I'm beside my fireplace with the gas insert blazing - writing to you Mexico folks!

I figured it had to be new money. That would be terrific if 3 months of statements would be enough. Seemingly, then until that certain number of months until your next application, that $ input wouldn't be necessary. You would just need to be sure to start the $ input again in time to get the required number of bank statements to get the FM-3 renewal.

Am I thinking right? I suppose the "danger" would be if they asked for a different number of months' statements the next time. From what you've heard, what's the maximum number of statements that the authorities have asked for?

Do you happen to know if they accept money going into a money market account (one with check-writing privileges, such as available from Vanguard)?

Rolly, I have devoured your website - and I really appreciate all the great information that you've shared with us!
God Bless the World - No Exceptions!

Septiembre

Feb 3, 2007, 3:41 PM

Post #11 of 23 (2200 views)

Shortcut

Re: [juditha16] FM3

Our situation is a little different. My wife gets social security and a small retirement pension from the government. However, our major income is from our assets, primarily stocks and an office building we own in Texas that kicks out a substantial six figure cash flow. By the time we apply for our FM3s, we can show full ownership of a fairly expensive home in Ajijic.

We can certainly document our income with our Federal tax returns. But showing pension incomes other than roughly 1500 per month for the wife is out. I've been self employed for over 25 years.

Any suggestions as to how to present our case to the local Consulate?

Papirex

Feb 3, 2007, 5:29 PM

Post #12 of 23 (2176 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Septiembre] FM3

Septiembre, You will probably have no problem by the time you retire if you own a house in Mexico. Many INAMI offices in Mexico will lower the income amount required to qualify for an FM3 by 50% for a homeowner.

I don’t know if they do that in Jalisco, but if they do, among your options is to have yourself listed as your wife’s dependant when you apply for your FM3s. Have her listed as the home’s owner. (Trust your wife) $1500 per month in provable income will very likely be enough for both of you with a 50% reduction in the amount of required income for her.

The amount of income required to qualify for an FM3 goes up a small amount each year. I think that $1000 per month for one person, Plus an amoumt equal to half of that amount, for each dependant, or $1500 for a couple, is very close to the amount required at the present time, without being a homeowner. That is not an exact amount; I don’t know what it is for this year. Rolly or Jennifer Rose can probably provide the exact figures for this year.

Requirements for proving the required income for an FM3 vary widely in area INAMI offices. Not living in Jalisco, or Ajijijj, I can’t give you any specific info for that area.

Rex

"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

Rolly

Feb 3, 2007, 6:06 PM

Post #13 of 23 (2171 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RexC] FM3

The minimum monthly income requirement for a single person is 250 times the basic daily minimum wage in Mexico City. For 2007, that daily wage is $50.57 pesos.

250 x $50.57 = $12,642.50 pesos per month. Some INM offices and Consulates in other countries may require a higher amount.

A home owner's 50% reduction may be granted by an INM office. The discount is not available from consulates.

Rolly Pirate

TigerTonio

Feb 3, 2007, 7:09 PM

Post #14 of 23 (2159 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] FM3

"A home owner's 50% reduction may be granted by an INM office. "

"May"? Meaning that it depends on the mood of the person you're dealing with at a particular office or does other criteria need to be met?

Rolly

Feb 3, 2007, 7:17 PM

Post #15 of 23 (2155 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Tio Toño] FM3

Lets be kind and say it depends on the local INM jefe's interpretation of the rules. He does have the authority to grant the discount or not, just as he has the authority to set a higher income requirement. Some offices go by the basic rules, some don't, so you never know until you ask.

Rolly Pirate

jennifer rose

Feb 3, 2007, 7:24 PM

Post #16 of 23 (2155 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Tio Toño] FM3

Can't Post |
The language refers to "may be reduced by an amount up to 50%." More or less. It doesn't mandate a 50% reduction. May is a discretionary term, which can also mean may not. Remember, a 10% reduction also fits within the parameters of "up to 50%."

The income requirements are couched in terms of not less than, which means that INAMI could justly require a higher figure. And, at some of the consulates, a higher figure is indeed mandated.

lakechapaladreamer

Feb 6, 2007, 7:35 AM

Post #17 of 23 (2065 views)

Shortcut

We recently went through this process at the San Francisco, CA Mexican Consulate. Since we own a house here in Mexico, the amount was (in US$) $1500 for Kevin and $750 for me as his dependent. THere was another option of proving that you had $18,000 in your bank account. I asked about it and he said that lots of folks inherit money, etc, and Mexico relizes this. They just want to feel cetain that you will be able to support yourself. By the way, if you do a search for FM3 renewal... and the income thing in the Home: General: Living, Working, Retiring: forum you will find all this info and more.

mkhan

Feb 9, 2007, 9:53 AM

Post #18 of 23 (1949 views)

Shortcut

Re: [lakechapaladreamer] FM3

How come no one's mentioned Puerto Vallarta as a retirement spot? Am I dumb to be planning to go there??

sfmacaws

Feb 9, 2007, 11:07 AM

Post #19 of 23 (1938 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mkhan] FM3

Nope, it's a beautiful place and I think it would be a good place to live. Most of the people on here live in the highlands. Basically, they would rather be cold than hot. Those of us who prefer heat and sea level are in a minority on this forum but not in real life. I think there are several forums with mostly PV or west coast dwellers on them, perhaps someone has a link.

Having spent several weeks in the winter in all of these ex-pat spots, San Miguel, Ajijic, Guadalajara, Patzcuaro, San Cristóbal, I can tell you that they are bloody cold! They kind of gloss over that part and talk about how the coast is too hot and humid.

For me and Shoe and a few others, hot and humid is wonderful and if you have to get out of your shorts or put a sweatshirt on then it is time to move. I need a sweatshirt if the temp drops to 70*F.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

mkhan

Feb 9, 2007, 11:37 AM

Post #20 of 23 (1928 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] FM3

Hey, I'm sitting in Minnesota where it's 3 below zero outside my window. I've had enough cold!

ekammin

Feb 9, 2007, 11:53 AM

Post #21 of 23 (1919 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] FM3

Your remark about the INM office and the income requirement discount for property owners underscores one of my frustrations. I can understand Mexicans not wanting us gringos telling them how to run things. But when THEY make the rules it might be nice if they were consistent in following them.

Rolly

Feb 9, 2007, 12:02 PM

Post #22 of 23 (1910 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ekammin] FM3

Please read Jennifer's post to help you understand that we are not dealing with a hard and fast rule. It is conditional, just as the required income for an FM3 is not a fixed number. In most cases, the 'suggested' procedure is followed, but it can vary and still be within the law.

Rolly Pirate

donemry

Feb 10, 2007, 4:40 AM

Post #23 of 23 (1857 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mkhan] FM3

We lived in MN from 97 to 01, moved south to TN for relief. We are now in PV for warmth. Come on down.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4