Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Pacific Region

cdubee

Jan 17, 2007, 4:17 PM

Post #1 of 14 (10043 views)

Shortcut

What do you think of this idea?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Planning a vacation that includes a stay at Lakeside. Not our first trip to Mexico. (IN our 60s. He's an intrepid driver and I speak Spanish.) How does this sound to u guys and gals in the know? Fly to Ixtapa stay a few days, drive to Lakeside, stay a few days, drive to PV drop off the car, fly out. Any pitfalls? Is this going to be too hard? Other alternative is to split our time (12 days) between PV and Lakeside.

mexliving

Aug 16, 2009, 8:44 PM

Post #2 of 14 (9860 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cdubee] What do you think of this idea?

good idea.... i always tell folks to fly into GDL and fly out of p.v. on the way to p.v. to stay a couple of days at santa maria del oro at the new www.hotellagoescondido.com all inclusive... bikes/quads/jetski boat/ its a peacefull place.

esperanza

Aug 16, 2009, 10:05 PM

Post #3 of 14 (9851 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cdubee] What do you think of this idea?

Be sure to check with your car rental company BEFORE you make your airline reservations. Renting a car at one place in Mexico and dropping it off at a second place is often really, really expensive--much more than you might want to pay.

And be careful of your driving route between Ixtapa and the Lake Chapala area. The coastal route is not safe.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

chicois8

Aug 19, 2009, 1:15 PM

Post #4 of 14 (9733 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] What do you think of this idea?

Hola esperanza, you wrote:

" And be careful of your driving route between Ixtapa and the Lake Chapala area. The coastal route is not safe. "

I was just wondering why you made this commet, last Nov. I drove from Puerto Escondido to Rincon de Guayabitos, Nayarit on the coastal road solo and had no problems what so ever, has something changed on Highway 200?
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

esperanza

Aug 19, 2009, 2:16 PM

Post #5 of 14 (9723 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] What do you think of this idea?

No. You were lucky.

RickS

Aug 19, 2009, 3:05 PM

Post #6 of 14 (9711 views)

Shortcut

Hiway 200 in that neck of the woods has been notorious for years for being 'dangerous'. And I think there was some data to back that up.

But 'lately' I have not heard that it was any more dangerous than, say, driving down through Sinaloa, which thousands do (granted this is if one stays on the toll). I have heard thoughts such as from the above Poster saying they traveled seemingly without any consequences.

Does anyone have any 'recent' data that suggests that that area of 200 should still be regarded as dangerous to the average traveler?

esperanza

Aug 19, 2009, 7:23 PM

Post #7 of 14 (9682 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] What do you think of this idea?

I correspond regularly with a man who lives in that part of Mexico. He quotes chapter and verse of friends, acquaintances, and one family member who have been assaulted while on that stretch. He says it's still one of the most dangerous roads in the country and says anybody who chooses to drive Hwy 200 is a damn fool. His words, not mine.

chicois8

Aug 19, 2009, 7:48 PM

Post #8 of 14 (9672 views)

Shortcut

esperanza,

Oh I thought you had a personal experience along 200, not hearsay or rumor...

I have probably driven close to 100,000 miles in every part of Mexico since 1962 and have never had 1 problem whatsoever...last year I drove solo from Nayarit to SMA down past Puebla to Villahermosa, back highways into the highlands of Chaipas, to Chetumal including back roads through the Yucatan then up the gulf coast and across the isthmus to Puerto Escondido then up 200 and back to Nayarit with out incident...I am an experienced Mexico driver and drive defensively and not at night, before driving that part of the highway I did ask some federales sitting at the next table if road conditions were good or any problems with "bandits" and they assured me there were nothing to worry about...and they were correct, I plan to do a simular trip this comming November, wish me luck.......paz y suerte
San Mateo, California

esperanza

Aug 19, 2009, 9:36 PM

Post #9 of 14 (9662 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] What do you think of this idea?

My friend has lived near Ixtapa for more than 40 years. His reports are neither hearsay nor rumors.

Best of luck.

Graydon

Aug 26, 2009, 11:54 AM

Post #10 of 14 (9548 views)

Shortcut

We stay at a campground just south of La Penita in Michoacan and have driven south to Ixtapa/Zihu on highway 200 several times in the last couple of years and haven't ever seen any kind of trouble or danger.

Graydon

sparks

Aug 27, 2009, 5:20 AM

Post #11 of 14 (9507 views)

Shortcut

I've driven it twice in the last 3 years and no issues at all. Last time there were lots of Federales and Army ... we gave one of the Army guys a ride to Playa Azul

But they don't have to drive the coast. Could go to Uruapan -> Los Reyes and come out east of the lake. Or Patzcuaro and around

The rental car dropoff fee will probably kill the idea

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

Peter

Aug 29, 2009, 5:15 PM

Post #12 of 14 (9416 views)

Shortcut

No one has addressed the nature of the danger of driving this highway. My personal experience has been without incident though I have a number of acquaintences that live around Lázaro Cárdenas and drive like maniacs on this highway. It is very remote in places, most of them, and very twisty and narrow. I have encountered trees that have blown over after a storm near Caleta de Campos and blocked part of the road in a very blind area of curves.

Though I have not encountered any accidents in many times I have driven this highway it would not surprise me to find out there are many. The coast of Michoacán is some of the most remote coastline in all of Mexico. I exercise extreme caution driving this highway but I still use it and have enjoyed many trips doing so. What other dangers, if any?

The original poster was from January 2007, but I am still curious myself. I usually encounter a military check station south of Caleta but have not seen them in recent visits.

beachdreamer

Sep 4, 2009, 11:06 AM

Post #13 of 14 (9310 views)

Shortcut

Re: The roads

Peter is correct. I would be more concerned about the curvey narrow roads on Hwy 200. You can get seriously car sick driving this route. I would stay off this highway stretch on the weekends due to the "weekend drinkers" returning home and driving fast and crazy. The stretch from Ixtapa to say Playa Azul is not curvy just sometimes busy with traffic. Whatever you decide to do, please report back to us on how you fared.
An adventure begins with a dream

chicois8

Sep 6, 2009, 8:57 AM

Post #14 of 14 (9244 views)

Shortcut

Re: [beachdreamer] The roads

I would be very surprised if the original poster will send a trip report, this post was from Jan. `07.........
San Mateo, California

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4