Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Gulf of Mexico

raferguson

Jan 13, 2007, 4:26 PM

Post #1 of 9 (6974 views)

Shortcut

Lake Catemaco?

Can't Post | Private Reply
We are talking about flying down to Mexico and renting a place for a month. One option is Lake Catemaco, which is on our list of places to go, but which we have never seen.

My concern is what we would do for a whole month. I can get fidgety after a week or so of relaxing. I suppose that one could get really serious about birdwatching. What could one do in a month down there? My guess is that there would not be a lot of cultural events going on. The last time we went down for a month we stayed in San Miguel, which had many cultural events.

Any thoughts on Catemaco?

Richard

http://www.fergusonsculpture.com

Ed and Fran

Jan 13, 2007, 4:44 PM

Post #2 of 9 (6967 views)

Shortcut

Re: [raferguson] Lake Catemaco?

Maybe a ritual cleansing? The place is known for its brujas, no?

NJ2VER

Jan 14, 2007, 10:22 AM

Post #3 of 9 (6948 views)

Shortcut

Some things to do in Catemaco. Once you finish the major tourist activities, which could take a week, you could: Take a boat ride over the Sontecomoapan lagoon to spend a day at one of the best beaches in this part of Mexico. You can even camp there. Exlore the waterfalls in the surrounding hills. Tour the mineral water plant. Hike or bike into into the St. Martin Volcano area. Go shopping at the market in San Andreas. Visit the El Salto de Eypantla and have a fresh coconut. Watch, or participate, in a local baseball, basketball or soccer game. Create some artwork inspired by the natural beauty around you. Learn to weave a hammock. Reflect on your luck to be able to afford that kind of time in one of the most beautiful places in the world.

"El Gringo Jalapeño"

Jan 14, 2007, 3:33 PM

Post #4 of 9 (6935 views)

Shortcut

Re: [NJ2VER] Lake Catemaco?

You are right about all the interesting things to see and do in the Catemaco area. I always wish I had the time to explore the beach area of Monte Pio. You can also see the cigar factories in San Andres Tuxtla. I hate cigar smoke, but really love the smell of the fresh tobacco leaves being tightly rolled into cigars, as well as marvelling at how quickly the workers make the cigars.
Enjoy and let us know how your trip goes.
Hasta pronto!
Roy B. Dudley "El Gringo Jalapeño" See more about Xalapa at www.xalaparoy.com

Curandero

Jan 15, 2007, 7:19 AM

Post #5 of 9 (6913 views)

Shortcut

Re: [NJ2VER] Lake Catemaco?

I like that reply. The areas around Catemaco are worth seeing. The boat rides are O.K., and that bio reserve on one side (East, I think) of the lake is nice, too. Stay at Hotel Acuario; it's cheap.

If you are a birder, you'll find some real treats in this area. There are some rails, and in the forests saltators, euphonias, and all sorts of oddballs.

Sample the food from the lake. There's a white fish, the name of which I forgot (I think it's just perch) and those little periwinkle snails.

That little grotto where la virgen supposedly appeared is a little ridiculous, as are the "cleansings." The closest you'll get to brujería is the Siete Brujas restaurant.

Bubba

Jan 25, 2007, 6:58 AM

Post #6 of 9 (6857 views)

Shortcut

I would definitely take a day trip to the unique town of Tlacotalpan, one of my favorite places in Veracruz.

On my next drive from Lake Chapala to Chiapas, I must make one of my overnight stops at Lake Catemaco. I would appreciate recommendations on dog friendly hotels and good restaurants for local fare. Are there nice lake front hotels?

(This post was edited by Bubba on Jan 25, 2007, 7:01 AM)

caroljruby

Feb 8, 2007, 7:15 PM

Post #7 of 9 (6791 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Lake Catemaco?

Bubba, Have you had a lot of problems traveling with your dogs in Mexico? I'm curious since I have three furry friends of my own. Carol

mdidion

Mar 16, 2007, 9:42 AM

Post #8 of 9 (6724 views)

Shortcut

Re: [caroljruby] Lake Catemaco?

Hola from Catemaco: Check out www.villascatemaco.com. Really attractive, fully equipped casitas with better than average rates. Close to all attractions and pet friendly. It's also an RV park. Beautiful grounds on the Tepetapan River...10 minute walk to the lake and a 30 minute drive to several, nearly deserted beaches.

Bubba

Mar 16, 2007, 11:45 AM

Post #9 of 9 (6712 views)

Shortcut

Re: [caroljruby] Lake Catemaco?

Carol:

We have not traveled with dogs and cats since 2001 when we moved down here with five huge dogs and two cats Every hotel we called in Mexico said no way. When we drove from Nogales to Ajijic, we made it a point to start looking for motels around 3:00PM and would walk up to the front desk and beg for accomodations. We were never turned down after pleading for help. We did have large cages for the monsters but never used them in the motels.

That´s when I really started loving Mexico.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4