Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

Bubba

Jan 12, 2007, 8:55 AM

Post #1 of 23 (3683 views)

Shortcut

Cockroaches

Can't Post | Private Reply
Over the past few months, we have had a plague of small kitchen roaches in our house in Ajijic which started when our houskeeper inadvertently brought the eggs into our house in a radio she borrowed from her sister. While we have found it no problem to control the large cockroaches and scorpions coming in from the garden by using a local exterminator, the exterminator seems to be unable to control these kitchen roaches who have obviously built a nest somewhere in our kitchen or just outside if it.

Spraying poison around the kitchen is an unpleasant alternative and only seems to work temporarily. A while back, someone on Chapala.com published a comment that she had a formula for making bait balls with boric acid and other ingredients attractive to roaches and that this had been effective. It seems that boric acid slowly kills these creatures and they tend to take this bait back to the nest which then poisons the young and makes the nest toxic. Does anyone reading here know of this or some other alternative way to get rid of these repulsive creatures?

ignacio

Jan 12, 2007, 9:04 AM

Post #2 of 23 (3673 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Cockroaches

Bubba, we had that problem a few years back, and finally were able to get rid of these small roaches by using a mix of 'borax' (which is sold in some of the older pharmacies) and glaze sugar, which is called 'azucar glas' here in Mexico, sold in most supermarkets in small boxes.

You mix equal proportions and place in small disposable containers, such as bottle caps or aluminum foil pieces, and put all throughout where the invasion is, inside and out of kitchen cabinets.

You have to be very careful with visitors with small children and pets, for borax is toxic.

I have heard, but don't know how effective it is, that instead of borax you use baking soda for this same purpose.

Oscar2

Jan 12, 2007, 10:01 AM

Post #3 of 23 (3657 views)

Shortcut

A few years ago at one of our subsidiary electronic repair facilities, customers would bring in televisions and other equipment for repairs whose household was clearly overrun with cockroaches because when the techs would open them up, a hoard of these little creatures would pop out all over the place.

The techs were instructed to refuse service on such items and instantly return them on the spot if discovered. In addition, if discovered after the customer left, the item was instantly placed outside and the customer was called and instructed to pick it up.

I thoroughly agree, it’s a horrendous problem and we too searched high and low for a fix. As Ignacio pointed out, we used an inexpensive mix of baking soda with varying amounts of straight sugar. It can be scattered behind cabinets or unseen crevices or corners where walls meet the floors. Roaches usually scurry along these paths routinely.

They walk on this stuff and carry it to their nests where the balance of extermination takes place. We used it routinely in this commercial location and can attest to its effectiveness.

Buena Suerte

sfmacaws

Jan 12, 2007, 10:32 AM

Post #4 of 23 (3646 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Oscar2] Cockroaches

Here's the formula we use for ants and it supposedly works well on roaches too. Thankfully I haven't had to test the roach part out yet.

for ants and roaches:

4 tsp boric acid powder
1 cup sugar
3 cups water

Use hot water to better dissolve it. Soak cotton balls or rolled cotton in the mixture and place in small containers. We've used film cannisters for ants but perhaps bottle caps would be better for roaches. You don't have to use the cotton balls if the roaches aren't getting on them enough just use the liquid. I find the soaked cotton balls are easier to contain and handle, you can pour more mixture on them when they start to dry and the chance of spillage is lower.

For just ants, reduce the formula to:

1 tsp boric acid
6 tbl sugar
2 cups water

We got this from an exotic bird breeder and they are very careful about what is in their homes as birds are so sensitive. No pet should be eating the stuff but it is safe to be in the area of pets, ie no fumes.

It works a treat on ants! They haul it home and feed the queen and all the kiddies and poof!

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Oscar2

Jan 12, 2007, 12:11 PM

Post #5 of 23 (3627 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] Cockroaches

I may be mistaken but off the top of my head, I think baking soda contains boric acid. Wasn’t it Armon Hammer, the zillionaire who capitalized on baking soda amongst other things that made him rich and famous?

I’m sure baking soda is sold in Mexico and as far as it being harmful to humans or larger animals; the consumption versus health consequences is kind of up in the air. Why? Because as far back as I can remember (long-term memory being 20-20) as a very young boy, my dad put a shine stand in a barbershop for me. This was one of my first business ventures.

While working there, barbers back in those days, as they did in Mexico, would not only give you a haircut and shave but were administers of such things as putting leech’s on black eyes for cosmetic purposes. In addition, when a customer mentioned they had a hang over and didn’t feel too good, he’d give them a scoop of baking soda as a remedy. Based on these reflections and if baking soda contains small portions of boric acid, I don’t believe it will be too deleterious to ones health in small portions ………… I think.

Cool snapshot of your jeep.

sfmacaws

Jan 12, 2007, 1:00 PM

Post #6 of 23 (3615 views)

Shortcut

Cool snapshot of your jeep.

Yep, one peso a ride.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Oscar2

Jan 12, 2007, 5:26 PM

Post #7 of 23 (3569 views)

Shortcut

Nice ride for a peso. How about curb service for 2 peso's?

Mark Landes

Jan 12, 2007, 9:32 PM

Post #8 of 23 (3520 views)

Shortcut

My great-grandmother used to brush her teeth with baking soda and salt -- no cavities at 89.
After I left Taiwan it came out in the papers there that the reason so many college students were getting stomach cancer was because so many noodle stands were sprinkling borax (or was it boron) into their rice pots to preserve them for the next days use. Do not tune your radios to syruppy music and the critters will migrate to more suitable digs.
Mark

Bloviator

Jan 13, 2007, 4:41 AM

Post #9 of 23 (3500 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mark Landes] Cockroaches

Am I correct that they have solved the problem in South Carolina and Florida by calling them palmetto bugs?

Last night at our favorite restaurant, a cockroach crawled across our table. The lady we were dining with just casually swept it off the table and kept on eating. I admire that. We were eating outside and there is really nothing that can be done under those circumstances. It doesn't have anything to do with the cleanliness of the restaurant.

(This post was edited by dlyman6500 on Jan 13, 2007, 4:43 AM)

Oscar2

Jan 13, 2007, 9:21 AM

Post #10 of 23 (3466 views)

Shortcut

Your great-grandmother’s oral hygiene was akin to my grandfathers, as well. I recall as a child when we all lived in the same house, he would routinely go to the sink where his bowl of salt was and with his index finger dipped in salt, he would vigorously clean his teeth and probably massage his gums. In memory, he had every tooth in his head and always had a quick engaging smile.

While on the subject of consumption, as far back as I can remember, I’ve loved hot sauce in Mexican food. While eating spicy Mexican food I’d facetiously comment that hot sauce cured cancer. This is why, I’d jokingly say, Mexicans don’t get cancer. Guess what, the day before yesterday I just heard on the news that after extensive research it was definitively proven that chili or hot sauce does cure cancer……go figure.

(This post was edited by Oscar2 on Jan 13, 2007, 9:22 AM)

Bubba

Jan 13, 2007, 9:23 AM

Post #11 of 23 (3463 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dlyman6500] Cockroaches

Palmetto bugs and kitchen roaches are not birds of a feather. If you had a small roach crossing your table it was probably looking for the kitchen where its 10,000 pals hang out at night after the humans have left feasting on stuff we often don´t even see.

People who have lived in the deep south know that, when one lives on water, one can expect even more of the palmetto bug style roaches that, on Mobile Bay, can fly for limited distances and land in your hair at night which they love to do. If you want to have some fun, leave a glass of wine or a soft drink next to you bed and take the palmetto bug body count in there in the morning. My record was seven. It was a big glass.

I know I´ve told this before, but some guy in South Alabama invented a sure-fire cockroach killer. It was a kitchen light switch that automatically came one every three minutes and back off in a few seconds. The little bastards died of exhaution running themselves to death.

It has been scientifically proven that, among the favorite food of the roach is toe jam. Sweet dreams.

(This post was edited by Bubba on Jan 13, 2007, 10:11 AM)

Gringal

Jan 13, 2007, 10:06 AM

Post #12 of 23 (3453 views)

Shortcut

The borax plan is supposed to work by going home with the roach and exploding its guts. Oh yum.
In my first adult apartment, I was greeted by a sinkfull of the little devils every morning. I boiled them down the drain with hot water. Next day, they were back. I tried both the borax and the baking soda in addition to drano, toilet cleaner and every other noxious substance I could find. I bought roach motels. They reproduced faster than they died. Some of them even eat concrete. They adapt.
Most likely, they will be the last living thing on earth.

In my family, baking soda was the toothpaste of choice back when. Crest sure tastes better.

As for cancer cures, I thought it was tequila that did the job for everything.

Bubba

Jan 13, 2007, 10:14 AM

Post #13 of 23 (3446 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Cockroaches

If it´s tequila and hot sauce that cures cancer, Bubba gone die of something else. I think I´ll start a thread on hot sauces under the food forum.

patricio_lintz

Jan 13, 2007, 10:25 AM

Post #14 of 23 (3442 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ignacio] Cockroaches

You can buy boric acid at Agro-quimicos on Francisco Madero or at the (orange) hardware store nearby. This is in Chapala, north of the bus station.

patricio_lintz

Jan 13, 2007, 10:29 AM

Post #15 of 23 (3439 views)

Shortcut

Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate. Boric acid contains boron, a toxic element in itself. However, toxicty to mammals is said to be low.

Oscar2

Jan 13, 2007, 11:57 AM

Post #16 of 23 (3418 views)

Shortcut

Re: [patricio_lintz] Cockroaches

I must in clear conscience retract something which plagues the world and yours truly. The slip of the tongue before the brain engages. I incorrectly thought and mentioned on this thread that it was baking soda and sugar used to exterminate these critters but my wife, AKA memory guru, confidant and accountant, explicitly assured me under no uncertain terms, it was Boric Acid mixed with sugar. ˇPerdóname!

Here is just one of the Googled references to cancer cures currently flagged as adding more then just spice to your life.

http://www.freerepublic.com/...1766091/posts?page=6

Tres tacos al-pastor con todo y salsa brava, por favor.

(This post was edited by Oscar2 on Jan 13, 2007, 12:26 PM)

alex .

Jan 15, 2007, 9:05 AM

Post #17 of 23 (3285 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] We solved the problem

only by taking drastic measures : we removed EVERYTHING wooden in the house. That included the kitchen cabinets, the bathroom vanity, closet doors, and shelving. Only in this way were we able to finally win the war.
Alex

misslyn

Jan 17, 2007, 4:21 PM

Post #18 of 23 (3184 views)

Shortcut

I know I´ve told this before, but some guy in South Alabama invented a sure-fire cockroach killer. It was a kitchen light switch that automatically came one every three minutes and back off in a few seconds. The little bastards died of exhaution running themselves to death.

I love this one! I once spray-starched a herd (horde?) of roaches when we lived in cheap Navy housing (Norfolk). I thought I was reaching for the bug spray, but whatever works ...

Lyn

Ron Pickering W3FJW

Jan 17, 2007, 4:26 PM

Post #19 of 23 (3182 views)

Shortcut

Re: [misslyn] Cockroaches

Could that have been our good friend Bubba?? Or was he from North Alabama.........??
Getting older and still not down here.

Mark Landes

Jan 17, 2007, 10:14 PM

Post #20 of 23 (3136 views)

Shortcut

Re: [misslyn] Cockroaches

Cockroaches vary in size in direct ratio to the number of warm days. It was 1963. Maui.
The men's dorm at Maunaolu College. I was sweeping the floor of the wooden shack where we dormed for the summer. A three inch roach ran across the floor. I raised my broom to smash it. The cockroach stopped, turned its head toward me and then ran the other way. I still get shivers thinking about it.
Mark

sfmacaws

Jan 17, 2007, 10:39 PM

Post #21 of 23 (3133 views)

Shortcut

It was 1963, the French Quarter in New Orleans, I was trying to get up the rickety stairs to my apartment. The 3" (I felt it was at least a foot long and would stand on its back legs and 'get me') cockroach was on the stairs and when I dodged left so did it. We went back and forth for 5 minutes and I decided I didn't really need to go home and went back downstairs for a drink. Obviously I've never forgotten that one either.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

chichi928

Jan 18, 2007, 7:19 PM

Post #22 of 23 (3059 views)

Shortcut

This is a good cockroach story: I was in a guest house with a shared bath on the main floor, nice place an old teak wood Thai house in Bangkok. I got up in the middle of the night and had to pee.......I go to the bathroom and when I turned on the light I was horrified to see about 20+ cockroaches all over the bathroom, I was brave and stepped inside and most scattered. There was a couple that would just not budge but I just had to do my business. This one roach on the vanity mirror wouldn't take his eyes off me.......I just thought you mind your biz and I will mind mine. No such luck.

He proceeded to jump on my head from the mirror, scurry down my face and then down my body just as I had my pants around my ankles...........well you can just imagine the dance I did. I have a huge fobia now. They are sooooooo creepy!

Bubba

Jan 18, 2007, 8:00 PM

Post #23 of 23 (3047 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chichi928] Cockroaches

It´s amazing how quickly one can become accustomed to this. There, in our first home at the point where the Fowl River flows into Mobile Bay, a place of extraordinary beauty just 12 miles north of the Gulf at Dauphin Island, we slept among hordes of giant, flying tree roaches (Palmetto Bugs). brown recluse poisonous spiders, several varieties of poisonous snakes, giant, disgusting river rats who took up residence in our oven and, worst of all, violent and remorseless human beings - but that´s another story. Thank God we were young and newly wed so we were too busy to notice.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4