Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

Lisa

Sep 12, 2002, 5:52 AM

Post #1 of 6 (1752 views)

Shortcut

Taking money to Mexico for trip?

Can't Post |
My mother and I will be leaving in a week to spend ten days in Mexico...specifically Guadalajara, Guanajuato, and San Miguel de Allende. I have heard that many vendors and some restaurants only take cash. <p>What is the safest thing to do monetarily? How about travelers checks or are they hard to cash? Someone suggested an ATM card but I wasn't sure if there were machines conveniently accessible in all three cities. I don't have an ATM card but if that's the best thing to do, I can get one. <p>I plan to be a money pouch that I can wear under my clothes when I do need to carry cash. Do most of the hotels have safes or should I just hide any cash that I bring in my belongings?<p>
Our hotels are already paid in full so we only need money for food, shopping, and transportation (buses and taxis).<p>Any advice? Thanks!<p>

jennifer rose

Sep 12, 2002, 6:59 AM

Post #2 of 6 (1745 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
I'd recommend skipping the traveler's checks, just because they're too much nuisance. Bring cash, credit cards, and an ATM card. You'll find ATM machines practically everywhere you go.<p>For restaurants and stores which will accept credit cards, I'd suggest putting the trip on plastic for the float and the best exchange rate. Some stores will give you a discount if you pay in cash, and some won't. Even some bus fares can be charged to your credit card. Only the smaller stores and restaurants will be on a cash-only basis.<p>Smaller hotels will not have a hotel safe. Even among those which do, if you read carefully the fine print, you'll be surprised at the limit to the hotel's liability.

RM

Sep 12, 2002, 7:24 AM

Post #3 of 6 (1746 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Having spent 6 weeks inthe Lakeside area last winter I also had no clue as to what to do. Had LOTS of US cash money with me which I ended up having to change in a bank every few days. Found out the best thing to use is a debit card(ATM).That way you just withdraw what you need for the next day or two or so. If you use a Visa, MC, card to get money you are being charged interest from the moment you take it out until you repay it.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Have a good holiday.

Luisa

Sep 12, 2002, 8:33 AM

Post #4 of 6 (1745 views)

Shortcut

ATMs in Gto

Can't Post |
Just to let you know that in Guanajuato there are ATMs all over the place. And the Banorte next to the Jardin de la Union has you swipe your card instead of insert it, so you don't have to worry about the machine eating your card.

Faergen

Sep 12, 2002, 12:10 PM

Post #5 of 6 (1746 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
: My mother and I will be leaving in a week to spend ten days in Mexico...: Any advice? Thanks!<p>Our last several trips we've used nothing BUT Atm cards-including San Christobal in Chiapas--the real boonies! :). But keep some cash just in case machines are down--does happen. But with a trip of 10 days that shouldn't be much of a problem.
Have a great trip!
Faergen

Wayne

Oct 12, 2002, 9:59 PM

Post #6 of 6 (1749 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
For a short trip ATM's are the best. You'll find them all over.
Always take out the maximum amount since there is almost always a
transaction surcharge. You may have to choose "other amount, enter" to take out
the max amount, and it varies from day to day. Find out which bank has the lowest charge.
A $3 charge on a $100 withdrawal is 3% which is more than you can
get on passbook savings for a whole year. A $3 charge on $300 is 1%.
You get good exchange rates on ATMs all over the world,
usually the bulk commercial rate.

For a several month trip or a trip every year,
take travelers checks if your bank gives them free
and open a local bank account.
Use the local ATM machine and there's no transaction charge, but wait until the
exchange rate is top dollar to get the best deal.<p>
: My mother and I will be leaving in a week to spend ten days in Mexico...specifically Guadalajara, Guanajuato, and San Miguel de Allende. I have heard that many vendors and some restaurants only take cash. <p>: What is the safest thing to do monetarily? How about travelers checks or are they hard to cash? Someone suggested an ATM card but I wasn't sure if there were machines conveniently accessible in all three cities. I don't have an ATM card but if that's the best thing to do, I can get one. <p>: I plan to be a money pouch that I can wear under my clothes when I do need to carry cash. Do most of the hotels have safes or should I just hide any cash that I bring in my belongings?<p>:
: Our hotels are already paid in full so we only need money for food, shopping, and transportation (buses and taxis).<p>: Any advice? Thanks!<p>

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4