Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Gulf of Mexico

tonyburton

Jan 11, 2007, 3:45 PM

Post #1 of 9 (3770 views)

Shortcut

Coyolillo

Can't Post | Private Reply
I'd like to add Coyolillo to the Veracruz map on this site, but where (precisely) is it??
Directions differ on different sites, so this is a plea for accurate distances and direction from a couple of larger places - eg how far and what direction from Xalapa and from Actopan?
Thanks! Tony

eportis

Jan 11, 2007, 9:30 PM

Post #2 of 9 (3750 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonyburton] Coyolillo

I cannot be precise because I found it on a tourist map that is not intended to be taken seriously. It appears to be about 15 miles east of Xalapa, approached by way of El Castillo and somewhere between Otates and Actopan, undoubtedly off the main road, probably north a short distance. The little tourist book where I found this indicates that it was founded by escaped African slaves and maintains some unique traditions. But you probably already know this or you would not be looking for it. I appreciate having it brought to my attention, since I will be returning to Xalapa in May and this looks like a good day trip. We have to get Roy to tell us more.

Ed Portis

tonyburton

Jan 12, 2007, 8:03 AM

Post #3 of 9 (3735 views)

Shortcut

Re: [eportis] Coyolillo

Thanks! Your description agrees with where I'm guessing it to be. The village/town plays a bit-part in next month's Did You Know column...
I think Roy's in the US at present, but I'm sure he'll help me out on his return. Thanks again! Tony

ignacio

Jan 12, 2007, 9:10 AM

Post #4 of 9 (3725 views)

Shortcut

A goggle search revealed this, for Coyolillo, Veracruz:

Latitude: 19.48333
Longitude: -96.73333
(Decimal degrees)

Latitude (DMS): 19° 28' 60 N
Longitude (DMS): 96° 43' 60 W
(Degrees, minutes and seconds)

tonyburton

Jan 12, 2007, 9:40 AM

Post #5 of 9 (3721 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ignacio] Coyolillo

Yes, thanks Ignacio. I had the coordinates, but must admit I wondered why those 60 seconds in each direction had not been counted as an extra minute...! Tony

ignacio

Jan 12, 2007, 10:05 AM

Post #6 of 9 (3715 views)

Shortcut

Hum, I didn't notice that 60 second problem.

Tony, how about placing 'Boca del Rio' and 'Fortin de las Flores' on your map of Veracruz ?
(Boca is the 2nd or 3th largest city in Veracuz, Fortin is a very beautiful tourist town)

tonyburton

Jan 12, 2007, 11:16 AM

Post #7 of 9 (3706 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ignacio] Coyolillo

Excellent suggestions; I'll see what I can do.
I have particularly fond memories of Fortin de las Flores, and its surroundings, from my mis-spent youth.
Swimming amongst gardenia blossoms is hard to beat!

"El Gringo Jalapeño"

Jan 14, 2007, 3:29 PM

Post #8 of 9 (3672 views)

Shortcut

Saludos desde Spokane, Washington!
The location given by Ed is very good. It is to the left(north) on the highway to Actopan which goes from Xalapa north to El Castillo, then east towards Actopan. It is essentially "across the road" from Otates(where the people are almost albino white) and on the way to the very interesting pueblo of Mesa de Guadalupe where we went to celebrate Dec 12th Virgen de Gualupe fiesta.
Well, I am off to see my mother, who unfortunately is not doing very well. It is now 5F. here...freezing my whats ya call its off!!!! Como Mexico no hay dos. I sure miss home!
BTW, the Carnaval festivities in Coyolillo are usually one week after the one in Veracruz. I will try to get an exact date.
Roy B. Dudley "El Gringo Jalapeño" See more about Xalapa at www.xalaparoy.com

tonyburton

Jan 14, 2007, 6:18 PM

Post #9 of 9 (3660 views)

Shortcut

Re: ["El Gringo Jalapeño"] Coyolillo

Thanks, Roy, and others. Always nice to get confirmation.
New map is up - http://www.mexconnected.com/...ruz/mapveracruz.html

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4