Forums  > Areas > Gulf of Mexico

windknot

Dec 31, 2006, 5:08 AM

Post #1 of 8 (4643 views)

Shortcut

Coming to Veracruz

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi Y'all!!

My name is Rick, and I'm new to Mexico Connect. I am in the process of moving to Veracruz as I write this. I'm 56 years young, and in love with the water around the Veracruz area. Currently I'm building a house in Conchal...directly across from the road to Isla del Amor. Most people are unaware of the angling opportunities here...(and maybe it should stay that way!!! hahaha) I used to be a light tackle guide in Key West, Fla., and ran a flats skiff as well as a 21 ft. center console that I took offshore. I have a skiff sitting in my garage right now, and will be bringing a bigger boat in at a later date. Can't wait to try my hand at some blue marlin and yellowfin tuna!!!

In the meantime, I'd like to "meet" some of you all...both here online, and next time I'm down there, which may be this coming month. OBTW...I'm also getting ready to do this "menaje" thing. I've had an FM-3 since May....but the consulate in Orlando said they could not do a menaje for me, because my visa was more than 6 months old. Anyone ever hear of this? There's another consulate in Miami, which is actually closer to my home (I hate driving in Miami) so I'll call them also. My e-mail address is rds750@bellsouth.net Hope to see y'all soon!

Rolly

Dec 31, 2006, 6:54 AM

Post #2 of 8 (4635 views)

Shortcut

Re: [windknot] Coming to Veracruz

There is indeed a 6-month cut off on menajes. Good luck getting one now.

Rolly Pirate

windknot

Dec 31, 2006, 7:18 AM

Post #3 of 8 (4633 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Coming to Veracruz

Hi Rolly....Can't I apply after my FM-3 is renewed?

Rolly

Dec 31, 2006, 7:54 AM

Post #4 of 8 (4629 views)

Shortcut

Nope.

Have you entered Mexico with your FM3 and had it activated by immigration at the border? Have you registered with INM in your place of residence in Mexico? If either answer is NO, you have a problem.

If both answers are YES, you many still be able to bring your household items without a menaje and avoid paying an import duty. There have been several recent reports from people who were successful without a menaje. I have seen two reports of consulates telling folks that a menaje is no longer required. The exact status of the menaje seems to be in doubt -- at least in my mind.

If you are planning to use a moving company, find one who will do the paperwork for you. Some people have reported making a menaje-like list in English for the movers along with a copy of their FM3. The movers then took care of everything.

Some others have done a self move using a menaje-like list in Spanish which was passed at the border. You will probably be required to have a customs broker to walk the paperwork through Mexican customs.

Rolly Pirate

windknot

Dec 31, 2006, 8:38 AM

Post #5 of 8 (4620 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Coming to Veracruz

I think I may have made a boo-boo....I just drove out of Mexico and did not stop at Migracion....but rather just followed the traffic out of the country. I was not asked to stop until I reached US Customs, and that is where I realized my mistake. (I have always gone to migracion in Cancun when flying out) Think I'm going to have a problem when I re-enter?? All I can say is that I have come and gone several times since I was issued this visa, but I have not gone to Migracion in Veracruz, every time I return. My visa has always been stamped in Cancun.

I have heard the same thing as you, with regards to the menaje. I have a friend in Veracruz, who is in the scrap metal business, and I am going to load all my furnishings into an enclosed trailer and then put the trailer on the deck of one of his freighters that is bound for Veracruz. I plan to do the same thing with my boat when I bring it over. My particular problem is that I am an ardent fisherman and former light tackle fishing guide....I have fished all over the world in both fresh water and salt. I therefore have about 40 fishing rods, from little fresh water trout fly rods, to 80 lb. stand-up rods to be used in Veracruz for blue marlin.....and everything in between. Needless to say I have all the reels to go along with it. I figured that by explaning this in the menaje, and getting the list stamped, I would avoid any hassle by the aduana. I have the name of a customs broker in Veracruz.

esperanza

Dec 31, 2006, 9:18 AM

Post #6 of 8 (4616 views)

Shortcut

Windknot, the rules are as follows:
  • once you obtain your FM-3, you have 90 days to cross the border and have the FM-3 stamped showing that you have entered the Mexico.
  • once you obtain your FM-3, you have only 6 months to obtain and use a menaje de casa. You can only get a menaje de casa at a Mexican consulate (i.e., outside Mexico).
  • once you are in Mexico with your FM-3, you have 30 days to register it with the INAMI (Mexican immigration) office nearest you.
  • when you leave Mexico, you must have your FM-3 document stamped that you are going out of the country.
  • when you return to Mexico, you must have your FM-3 document stamped showing that you have re-entered the country.
These are the rules. Occasionally someone posts here on MexConnect that he or she has been able to get a menaje de casa after the six-month cutoff date, but you simply cannot count on it.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Curandero

Dec 31, 2006, 2:09 PM

Post #7 of 8 (4599 views)

Shortcut

Wow! An angler with a skiff! Best of luck down there! I'll be headed to Xalapa in June, but I don't do too much fishing anymore; I had my day as a crappie killer in Minnesota, and have caught my share of Walleyes. I'll be in the colonial highlands just kicking back.

My brother is in the market for a good seaworthy boat. He'll be on the other side of the country, though (we're Arizonans), and will be sailing down from Peñasco South to Mazatlán via other ports on the Sea of Cortez, before he decides to continue. Any suggestions on boats?

windknot

Jan 1, 2007, 7:25 AM

Post #8 of 8 (4581 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Curandero] Coming to Veracruz

Curandero, the choice of boat is going to depend on where he ends up staying, and what kind of fishing is offered there. For example, for deep water only, a diesel inboard (twins) is ideal; a single diesel in a smaller boat is second best.I would own one of the latter right now, but for 2 factors: First is that I will be alone a lot of the time (no other boats in my vicinity) and out of reach of even VHF communication. I therefore need twin engines, in case one happens to have a problem. Where I am, no one is going to be around to come out and help me. The second reason I am going with twin outboards, is the draft situation. I may need to get quite shallow, in order to net my bait for the day. Outboards can be raised up to accommodate this.

After you have assessed that situation, you have to consider the available service options for your area. I am "in" with Yamaha outboards, and get a substantial discount on their engines. BUT there is very limited service available for Yamaha, so I may have to go with Mercury, because that service is available in Veracruz.

You have a lot of work to do before you start thinking about boats. Best to e-mail me when you or your brother are better situated.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4