Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Learning Spanish

raferguson

Dec 29, 2006, 8:06 AM

Post #1 of 3 (3063 views)

Shortcut

¿Mouriño?

Can't Post | Private Reply
I was reading Novedades de Quintana Roo, and saw a cartoon showing Marta, the spouse of Fox.

"Ya se que no me extrañan, por que hay un tal mouriño que hace cosas que antes yo hacia."

Making a rough guess at the translation, "I won't be a stranger, because there are a mountain of things that I did." The implication is that that we will continue to hear news about things that Marta did while Fox was president. I don't think that Marta is as popular as Fox.

I looked up mouriño in my dictionary and on the Real Española website, and came up with nothing. My dictionary did not even show one spanish word starting with "mou".

Gracias de antemano.

Ricardo

http://www.fergusonsculpture.com

esperanza

Dec 29, 2006, 8:36 AM

Post #2 of 3 (3061 views)

Shortcut

Re: [raferguson] ¿Mouriño?

Can't Post | Private Reply

In Reply To
I was reading Novedades de Quintana Roo, and saw a cartoon showing Marta, the spouse of Fox.

"Ya se que no me extrañan, por que hay un tal mouriño que hace cosas que antes yo hacia."

Making a rough guess at the translation, "I won't be a stranger, because there are a mountain of things that I did." The implication is that that we will continue to hear news about things that Marta did while Fox was president. I don't think that Marta is as popular as Fox.

I looked up mouriño in my dictionary and on the Real Española website, and came up with nothing. My dictionary did not even show one spanish word starting with "mou".

Gracias de antemano.

Ricardo

Juan Camilo Mouriño is the Spanish-born head of Calderón's transitional govenment.

The cartoon caption translates as "I know they don't miss me, because there's a guy named Mouriño who does the things I used to do."

This can be interpreted on a variety of levels, as is the case with much Mexican humor. It's often very difficult to translate humor, particularly political humor, unless you know the players and the circumstances.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

(This post was edited by esperanza on Dec 29, 2006, 8:38 AM)

quevedo

Dec 29, 2006, 10:24 AM

Post #3 of 3 (3045 views)

Shortcut

Re: [raferguson] Juan Camilo Mouriño

Can't Post |
 Juan Camilo Mouriño Terrazo, Jefe de la Oficina de la Presidencia de la República; President Calderón's Chief of Staff.

Saludos de fin de año,

Quevedo

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4