Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Practice & Help Forum

jaybear

Dec 27, 2006, 2:26 PM

Post #1 of 8 (29911 views)

Shortcut

Am I subscribed?

Can't Post | Private Reply
I accessed the forums this morning as usual, but this afternoon after rebooting (I had turned off the computer to save electricity while out of the house), I had to verify my name and password as tho I had just signed up. Now I am back on. I thought perhaps my subscription had expired, so I tried to check that, but I could not find where this is recorded on the site. Last year I had the embarrassing experience of thinking I had not renewed and paying twice. This year I would like to avoid that, but how do I know when my subscription expires? Do I wait for an email?

tonyburton

Dec 27, 2006, 2:54 PM

Post #2 of 8 (29903 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jaybear] Am I subscribed?

Very good questions, and there are actually two distinct issues in your message, so I'll answer each in turn.

1. Need to sign in again and validate your e-mail. This step has been introduced because of a presumably malicious attempt to cause us problems from an unknown source sending us multiple, automatically-generated account sign-ups.
To prevent any possibility that any of these gain unauthorized access to the site, everyone has to confirm, one-time only, that the contact e-mails we have registered for each account are correct. This validation step only needs to be completed once. Thereafter, signing-in reverts to normal. In case of any problem, please e-mail me - tonyburton@mexconnect.com so I can update your contact e-mail as appropriate.

2. Time for renewal? All subscribers can now see the expiry date of their account at the bottom of the community log-in page:
http://www.mexconnected.com/...munity/community.cgi. Alongside is a link to our upgraded payment systems. Renewing has never been simpler!

(This post was edited by tonyburton on Dec 27, 2006, 2:55 PM)

sparks

Dec 27, 2006, 3:10 PM

Post #3 of 8 (29898 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonyburton] Am I subscribed?

I just went thru the routine and all the confirmation messages (4) ended up in my SPAM box at Yahoo. You might think about explaining it a little of the login screen.

I thought the server crashed

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

bournemouth

Dec 27, 2006, 3:34 PM

Post #4 of 8 (29892 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Am I subscribed?

I just met the same thing too - had to verify my e-mail address. Is this happening to everyone?

bournemouth

Dec 27, 2006, 4:01 PM

Post #5 of 8 (29890 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Am I subscribed?

I've now received 3 e-mail validation requests through my e-mail address - I'm logged in with no problems. But if I try to click through from the validation requests I get an error message.

tonyburton

Dec 27, 2006, 5:09 PM

Post #6 of 8 (29882 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Am I subscribed?

Once you've verified your e-mail address, you do not need to do so again.

(Hence, any subsequent validation attempts will achieve nothing.) I believe the only way you should have received multiple validation requests is if you made several attempts to sign in prior to an attempt being successfully validated.

The validation process does require a valid e-mail address which is NOT an xxx@mexconnect.com address - where e-mails have been returned as undeliverable, I am attempting to contact the account owners by every means at our disposal, but if you have any doubts, then please contact me direct: tonyburton@mexconnect.com

sparks

Dec 27, 2006, 5:31 PM

Post #7 of 8 (29880 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonyburton] Am I subscribed?

Back in the old days when I was working we used to have to give multiple notices to all the employees who could only operate Excel or Word on their machines ... every time we made even a minor change.

Then we would have to hold their hands because English and computer terminology are not part of the same language, like; keyboard, F1 or is it plugged in. Or it could have been they never checked their Email.

I'm getting more like them every day

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

tonyburton

Dec 27, 2006, 6:09 PM

Post #8 of 8 (29872 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Am I subscribed?

Yes, I know exactly what you mean, and sympathise.
We apologise for not having been able to give prior notice of our intention to initiate a validation process for new accounts. We brought this forward as a result of the recent activity from a single IP address, which we can only surmise was an attempt to gain unauthorized access to the site.
The validation process has meant that many existing subscribers had to validate or revalidate the e-mail address linked (registered) to their account.
Unfortunately, where the only linked e-mail address is an xxx@mexconnect.com address, this has caused some hassles since such messages can only be read by someone already logged in. This underlines the importance of ensuring that the e-mail you have registered with Mexico Connect for any notification purposes is current (and is NOT an @mexconnect.com address). The e-mail can be updated via Personal Settings (when logged in) or by sending an e-mail, quoting username, former and new e-mails to mexico@mexconnect.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4