Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Learning Spanish

sparks

Dec 25, 2006, 4:41 AM

Post #1 of 8 (4415 views)

Shortcut

Gimme the keys

Can't Post | Private Reply
At six this morning as we were getting ready to go to the trailer park in Melaque where the gringos hand out presents and candy (and more candy) to the kids (yearly tradition) .... one 8 year old said, 'joe javes' so she could open the car.

Not only is it that varying pronunciation of the 'J' sound but ... is that kids talk to phrase things so short or common with adults.

me das las llaves

Sparks Mexico - Sparks Costalegre

jerezano

Dec 25, 2006, 10:10 AM

Post #2 of 8 (4398 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Gimme the keys

Hello sparks,

Is your first name Joe by any chance? Joe; keys! We would say that in English if we were in a hurry, wouldn't we?

And HAH vays is not an uncommon way of saying keys (llaves) in Spanish. It is, of course a careless mispronunciation, Nor is HOH ay so uncommon for Joe either. Don't they say HOAR hay for George? (Jorge). Sounds to me as if your young friend has not had much instruction in Spanish (but then she is only 8 and if in school would be in the third grade; or she could have a speech impediment), or you yourself could had had a problem catching what she said.

Adiós. jerezano.

quevedo

Dec 25, 2006, 10:15 AM

Post #3 of 8 (4395 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] ¿Yo, llaves?

Can't Post |
Feliz Navidad,

Quevedo

sparks

Dec 25, 2006, 10:36 AM

Post #4 of 8 (4393 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] Gimme the keys

I'm used to hearing jen-o/lleno, ja-ves/llaves, etc ... but Joe/Yo was a little different. I'm sure she said 'Yo llaves'. Either that's kid talk or she's trying to keep it simple for me

sparks

Dec 25, 2006, 10:37 AM

Post #5 of 8 (4392 views)

Shortcut

Re: [quevedo] ¿Yo, llaves?

Um hmm

husker

Dec 25, 2006, 4:03 PM

Post #6 of 8 (4382 views)

Shortcut

Re: [quevedo] ¿Yo, llaves?

Just a question, wasn’t she being possessive? How ever, like most children, she got the conjugation wrong. If she had said dame su llaves she would have wanted your keys on the other hand she said yo llaves instead of mis llaves indicating she wanted her keys.
Que dice usted, Quevedo.

sparks

Dec 25, 2006, 4:56 PM

Post #7 of 8 (4377 views)

Shortcut

Re: [husker] ¿Yo, llaves?

Yes she was being possessive ... because she likes to help or take care of me. 'I will help you' is possessive.

Skipping conjugation is just being informal which is done all the time and is the unexpected part of the language

Bloviator

Dec 26, 2006, 5:21 AM

Post #8 of 8 (4357 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] ¿Yo, llaves?

The late (I think) great Katie Jurado, always made yo sound like Joe. After watching her movies, I thought that was the way it was supposed to be spoken.

(This post was edited by dlyman6500 on Dec 26, 2006, 5:22 AM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4