Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Bubba

Dec 24, 2006, 7:14 AM

Post #1 of 44 (3707 views)

Shortcut

On Neopolitan Mastiffs

Can't Post | Private Reply
We have a problem that, perhaps, you mastiff lovers out there can help us with.

We are mastiff freaks and have had bordeaux and neopolitans as friends and extraordinary companions since we were able to leave the city and move to the mountains of Sonoma County in about 1980. These dogs have been a source of great happiness for us and we brought them with us when we moved to Lake Chapala from California in 2001. Quite a journey with three cats by the way.

About a year and a half ago, we were asked by a friend to rescue a neopolitan deserted in Ixtlahuacan when its master died who was living at the manned entry gate of a local fraccionamiento and kept alive by scraps thrown her by workers. We picked her up when she was about two years old and found her to have been badly abused and without social skills. We have since raised her with our other mastiffs and street mutts and she has become a member of the pack except for one thing. She and the other female dogs are quite antagonistic as they vie for dominance now that our once dominant male dog recently died of cancer. This contentious behavior has now become dangerous. Last night she nearly killed another street mutt we brought into the fold a couple of years ago so enough is enough. Someone must go and it´s her - one way or the other.

Maybe there is someone out there who has a place for her. However, one should not undertake bringing her into their home unless one understands neopolitans, a special and delightful but most assertive breed. If you do not understand neopolitans then this message is not for you. If you think you can handle one of these incredible 150 pound monsters who will provide you endless pleasure in the right environment, please PM me here with your phone number and I will give you a call.

The alternative to adoption by someone somewhere is her demise for the sake of her sisters so your help would be most appreciated.

(This post was edited by Bubba on Dec 24, 2006, 7:17 AM)

Bubba

Dec 25, 2006, 11:43 AM

Post #2 of 44 (3599 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] On Neopolitan Mastiffs

Let´s hear it for sanctimonious hypocrisy. Let´s save another squirt canine who doesn´t impose on our time but presents us with loads of undue heroic reflection. My three year old big mama neo rescued from certain death under the yoke of a cruel master in Ixtlahuacan needs rescue and is an animal of extraordinary charm but underlying danger needing assertive human companionship. Where is Anita? Where is Gudrun Jones? Where are all the Lake Chapala bleeding hearts who fawn over tiny dogs offering little challenge when a true challenge awaits.

Since comimg here in 2001, we have rescued many dogs in distress. Now, when we need help the silence is deafening.

Phonies!

Rolly

Dec 25, 2006, 12:02 PM

Post #3 of 44 (3595 views)

Shortcut

I would love to have your dog. For months I have been pining over the death of my pit bull and wishing for a new special dog.

But I have two problems: I am far away from you. And the folks in the front house (shared yard) have a rambunctious, year-old male German Shepard. I'm not sure the two dogs would be a good mix. What do you think?

Rolly Pirate

bournemouth

Dec 25, 2006, 12:27 PM

Post #4 of 44 (3588 views)

Shortcut

Bubba - you could give the people you name a Christmas gift of a subscription to Mexconnect - maybe then they would see your post. Otherwise, all their spare cash goes to taking care of animals who have no homes at all. If you want their help, then get in touch with them - you know where to find them. You are being hypocritical.

(This post was edited by bournemouth on Dec 25, 2006, 12:28 PM)

Bubba

Dec 25, 2006, 12:39 PM

Post #5 of 44 (3585 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] On Neopolitan Mastiffs

Now, now, bournemouth - we are all hypocrites. I am trying to save my big, insane baby, not toot my horn. Is it inappropriate for me to question the sincerity of anbulance drivers who pass me on the carretera with sirens resounding and caps askew without noticing my time-sensitive injury? You could post my comments over at Peoria.Com for wider circulation since I am forbidden to do so by the powers that be.

Bubba

Dec 25, 2006, 12:43 PM

Post #6 of 44 (3582 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] On Neopolitan Mastiffs

Thank you Rolly for you nice thoughts. I have PM´d you.

Bubba

richard222

Dec 25, 2006, 2:46 PM

Post #7 of 44 (3559 views)

Shortcut

Assuming that you really do love the dog, and would like to keep it if possible, I believe that you have only a behavior problem with a dog that was raised with no other companion animals. It does not know how to be a part of the pack. You will need the help of someone who truly knows how to train dogs and can take her for a month or so and teach her to be a part of the pack. Not an easy task and it may take some doing to find the right trainer but if you love the dog it can be done. My sincere prayers that you are able to keep the dog.

viajita

Dec 25, 2006, 3:55 PM

Post #8 of 44 (3547 views)

Shortcut

I wish I could take your dog but I have 7 rescues now and I'm sorry your dog would be unable to fit within the pack. If it could, then I would be happy to give your dog a home and give you liberal visiting rights. I can sympathize because I rescued a pit bull 3 years back and could not find a home for him. No one would take him even though he was a gentle dog. Several people who had adopted pit bulls gave me glowing reports on their adjustments to kindness, but they had homes with no other dogs. I finally had to have the dog put down and I still grieve.

jaybear

Dec 25, 2006, 5:04 PM

Post #9 of 44 (3538 views)

Shortcut

Re: [viajita] On Neopolitan Mastiffs

Bubba, I know you are not willing to give up on this dog, and when I think about the dog's main traits--he's a sweetie and a softie deep down inside, even tho he may bite you in the behind if you turn your back on him--it seems to me that you might just identify with the dog a little bit, even tho the dog hasn't gotten kicked off any forums YET.

I'd be glad to post something on "the other website" if you like, but I am not sure how much good it would do--a lot of people on that other site do not live here.

You also might try a small ad and photo in the Guad Reporter and some posters around town.

Bubba

Dec 26, 2006, 6:13 AM

Post #10 of 44 (3492 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jaybear] On Neopolitan Mastiffs

Thank you all for your assistance. I think bournemouth was right that it was inappropriate for me to criticize others in the Lake Chapala area who do wonderful work with abandoned dogs so I´ll make amends by donating them some money the next time I see them. Some of you who can take in strays they´ve rescued may want to help by adopting a dog. I´d say we have a full plate at the present time and can´t take in additional strays..One tends to get a bit excited when one´s huge mastiff tries to kill another, much smaller dog, especially when this seems to mean the two will be unable to co-exist.

We´re off to consult with our vet later today

gringolandia

Dec 26, 2006, 7:52 AM

Post #11 of 44 (3473 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Several days ago, I put a notice on the other thread...got some nasty replies from the usual folks that have visited here in their minds but nothing from anyone serious

Bubba

Dec 26, 2006, 7:59 AM

Post #12 of 44 (3467 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gringolandia] On Neopolitan Mastiffs

Thanks for the thought, Gringolandia.

bournemouth

Dec 26, 2006, 8:27 AM

Post #13 of 44 (3459 views)

Shortcut

Gringolandia - I'm not trying to be unkind here but you posted on the "other" forum yesterday afternoon and there are no public replies at all. One assumes the replies you mention are all private emails.

Bubba - in a private forum the Neuter/Spay Group mentioned that Dog Ranch is full at the moment but I know they always try to fit that one extra one in - why not call them - they are the nicest people who work so hard - it is heartbreaking work interspersed with some wonderful successes.

viajita

Dec 26, 2006, 8:40 AM

Post #14 of 44 (3456 views)

Shortcut

It has been my experience that the Dog Ranch and Anita, et. al. will not deal with aggressive breed dogs...mastiffs, pit bulls, etc. I was desperate for a home for a rescued pit bull but neither place would help me.

Bubba

Dec 26, 2006, 10:38 AM

Post #15 of 44 (3438 views)

Shortcut

The dog ranch has too many homeless dogs as we speak and could use some help as well. They are trying to find homes for nice larger dogs and are having a hell of a time finding anyone who will adopt these nice friendly dogs. They cannot help us right now. We know several very nice and dedicated people who volunteer there and work very hard at having the larger dogs adopted but it is difficult to find homes for them.

(This post was edited by Bubba on Dec 26, 2006, 10:41 AM)

sfmacaws

Dec 26, 2006, 12:57 PM

Post #16 of 44 (3412 views)

Shortcut

It's a very sad situation Bubba, my heart goes out to you. I've hesitated to mention this as an option but it might be worth considering. There are a lot of businesses that would love to have a large aggressive dog for protection, whether in the yard or on the roof. I know our friends in Calderitas have been looking for a dog that will protect their place out in the country. A little investigating might turn up someone who would treat the dog well for doing this job for them.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

gringolandia

Dec 26, 2006, 12:59 PM

Post #17 of 44 (3411 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
You are right about the private posts...they were, for the most part from folks who live NOB but pretend that Atlanta or Texas is just 12 miles from Lakeside...the concept of negativity towards an innocent animal owned by someone that they don't have the nerve to go up against openly is of minor interest to me and I responded to none of their semi intellectual clap-trap...but I don't regret trying to help an animal owner who just wants to help his pet....

Papirex

Dec 26, 2006, 4:19 PM

Post #18 of 44 (3374 views)

Shortcut

Gee, don’t you know that all those people that don’t live here know all about Mexico? You know, the water everywhere is bad, all Mexicans are crooks, all the medicines here are fake, there are bandits everywhere, and there is grit in the gasoline, which is very low octane.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

sfmacaws

Dec 26, 2006, 5:40 PM

Post #19 of 44 (3358 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RexC] On Neopolitan Mastiffs

Heh! Rex you crack me up and you are always soooo right!

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Jean

Dec 29, 2006, 4:45 PM

Post #20 of 44 (3247 views)

Shortcut

A couple of suggestions.

Try Justus Hauser. He is an excellent dog trainor, especially if they have behavior problems. He may be able to help in a short time frame.

Second. Anita would probably take the animal but...to be realistic, a 150 pd dog eats a lot. Would you be willing to help her with dog food until she finds the dog a home. She would never ask, but I would.

Personally I would try Justus first. I think it can be solved easily with some help.

Jean
Retirement Communities
http://www.retirecommunities.com

gringolandia

Dec 29, 2006, 6:54 PM

Post #21 of 44 (3228 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Justus is in Germany until 15 of January...he should be able to handle any animal up to a human

Jerry@Ajijic

Dec 30, 2006, 8:00 AM

Post #22 of 44 (3181 views)

Shortcut

Until the night of January 6th, to be exact.

Bubba

Dec 30, 2006, 10:09 AM

Post #23 of 44 (3161 views)

Shortcut

Re: [richard222] On Neopolitan Mastiffs

Thank you all for your kind remarks and suggestions.

Richard was right that the neo in question was raised alone by an owner who must have beaten her often or even fought her as many Mexican owners like to do for probably two years and, thus, had developed no social skills that would help her adjust to the pack. On top of that she was an aggressive and dominant creature given to sudden and violent threats. We had socialized her in the only way we knew how and that was with daily long walks with the whole pack. I will tell you that we are lucky in West Ajijic to have long stretches of deserted beaches where we could accomplish this. Over time, she became socialized but what that turned out to be was that she was the boss and would try to kill any dog who dared to try to dominate her. The housekeeper was deathly afraid of her and it was only time before she really hurt someone.

I appreciate the suggestions on Justus Hauser but I don´t want to be stuck with his hospital bill. If you´ve ever faced a 150 pound mass of muscle trying to decide whether or not to have you for lunch then you know what I mean - and we have successfully trained several mastiffs at home.

One small bit of advice for mastiff lovers. Bordeaux are much easier to train than neopolitans. If you are going to have neos, get them when they are very young and train them well and assertively. Anticipate being able to handle 150 pounds of pure muscle for the next eight years or so. If you do it right, there are few more magnificent dogs in the world than neos. However, think twice before you adopt a mistreated and neglected neo that´s a couple of years old or more.

One more thing about neos. They are very social and detest being left alone. They will want to be with you and the pack always and (I am not making this up), may sob and screach uncontrollably if left alone. Also, if left alone they turn to brooding and may turn dangerous. You never know. However, I don´t think they are the best watchdogs for commercial establishments because they tend to be stalkers, quietly awaiting a prey upon which to pounce without warning. You want a barker for that kind of work. You don´t want to be paying for leg replacements for thieves who just might be the cousins of local cops.

I am sorry to tell you that, upon the strong advice of our vet, who dearly loved that dog, we had her put to sleep before, as the vet said, something terrible happened. It was an unpleasant experience but part of being a dog owner.

(This post was edited by Bubba on Dec 30, 2006, 10:15 AM)

esperanza

Dec 30, 2006, 10:13 AM

Post #24 of 44 (3157 views)

Shortcut

Oh Bubba...how terrible but necessary a decision to make. Two in a year--my heart goes out to both you and Brigitte.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Gringal

Dec 30, 2006, 10:25 AM

Post #25 of 44 (3152 views)

Shortcut

Sorry to hear that, Bubba, but I think you made a wise decision. Sometimes our "babies" just don't turn out right, no matter what we try. Some people tend to be blind to that and then serious harm can be done.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4