Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Jim B

Dec 21, 2006, 1:37 PM

Post #1 of 16 (2734 views)

Shortcut

Nogales south on 15

Can't Post |
Anyone driving thought Nogales and heading south on 15 the last week in January?

drfugawe

Dec 26, 2006, 6:20 AM

Post #2 of 16 (2673 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jim B] Nogales south on 15

Can't Post | Private Reply
Yes.

"Self-respect: the secure feeling
that no one, as yet, is suspicious."
H.L. Mencken
____________###

Jim B

Dec 28, 2006, 11:47 AM

Post #3 of 16 (2612 views)

Shortcut

Re: [drfugawe] Nogales south on 15

Can't Post |
What day are you crossing?

drfugawe

Dec 29, 2006, 4:20 AM

Post #4 of 16 (2583 views)

Shortcut

Why do you ask?

"Self-respect: the secure feeling
that no one, as yet, is suspicious."
H.L. Mencken
____________###

Jim B

Dec 29, 2006, 4:35 PM

Post #5 of 16 (2546 views)

Shortcut

Re: [drfugawe] Nogales south on 15

Can't Post |
Looking for someone to walk me through the Mexican Custom procedure (1st time driving down).

Rolly

Dec 29, 2006, 6:21 PM

Post #6 of 16 (2532 views)

Shortcut

Post your questions. There are several of us here who can help you,

Rolly Pirate

sparks

Dec 30, 2006, 4:44 AM

Post #7 of 16 (2514 views)

Shortcut

If you are moving with lots of stuff it can be complicated ... but if just on vacation there's nothing to it

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

Jim B

Dec 30, 2006, 3:47 PM

Post #8 of 16 (2474 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Nogales south on 15

Can't Post |
Does this seem doable to you guys? The plan is to drive from Palm Springs to Tombstone, AZ for the weekend of Jan 27th and 28th. On Monday the 29th drive to Nogales and pick up my Mexican Insurance and sometime just before noon (on Monday) cross the border and drive to San Ana for the night. This will get be the chance to drive a short day to get acclimated to driving in Mexico.The next day to Navoja and than onto Mazatlan for a couple of days. I need to be in Puerto Vallarta by Sat( Feb 3rd). What do you think?

I guess one question is a guess as to how long it might take on a late Monday morning to get all the paper work done and still reach San Ana sometime late afternoon.

Rolly

Dec 30, 2006, 4:44 PM

Post #9 of 16 (2465 views)

Shortcut

The time at the border should be less than an hour, maybe much less if you don't have a bunch of stuff to take up time with customs. The rest seems pretty easy.

Rolly Pirate

bunny

Dec 30, 2006, 7:35 PM

Post #10 of 16 (2446 views)

Shortcut

Just a couple of other thoughts/possibilities . . . can't you get your Mexican auto insurance by mail or fax, to save a stop? And then, unless you have a specific reason to stop in San Ana, I would say cross the border at Nogales as early in the morning as you can--say, 5 or 6 a.m. It's a popular crossing, and even if you skim through customs at the border, with no paperwork*, the lines at the Banercito for registering your vehicle (at the 21 km mark or thereabouts? I forget) get long as the day progresses. With an early start, Navajoa is an easy reach on your first day. And you will find after about 10 minutes that driving in Mexico is . . . just driving.

*And that is what will likely happen. You will get in the line that says "Nothing to declare." You will probably get a green light. You will drive through, and be on your way. It will be almost depressingly non-eventful. If you get a red light, or someone waves you over, you will take it as it comes, but hassles at customs for regular folks entering with regular stuff, to my knowledge, are very rare. "Hassle" just means they will ask you to pay duty. Usually not much.

Gretchen

skydancer

Dec 31, 2006, 10:20 PM

Post #11 of 16 (2405 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bunny] Nogales south on 15

We are newbies driving down to Chapala from the US. Can anyone tell us the best place to change our US dollars into pesos?

Should we make copies, in the US, of each of the documents we need to present to the Mexican authorities or just get copies at the border crossing?

Ron Pickering W3FJW

Dec 31, 2006, 10:41 PM

Post #12 of 16 (2401 views)

Shortcut

Re: [skydancer] Nogales south on 15

When I went across last March, I just had copies made of what was necessary at KM 21 and also bought $100 worth of pesos at the same place. Copies were less than $3 and the exchange rate was a bit higher but it was convenient.
Make sure you have small bills ($200 pesos [$20 usd]) or less when you stop anywhere. Larger peso bills can be used at the toll booths to get smaller change. A lot of places may not be able to give change for anything larger than $10 or 20.
Have a good trip......

Ron
Getting older and still not down here.

(This post was edited by Ron Pickering W3FJW on Dec 31, 2006, 10:43 PM)

skydancer

Dec 31, 2006, 10:48 PM

Post #13 of 16 (2397 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ron Pickering W3FJW] Nogales south on 15

What is KM21?

Ron Pickering W3FJW

Dec 31, 2006, 11:17 PM

Post #14 of 16 (2393 views)

Shortcut

Kilometer 21 on the road (south) from the border is where all the paperwork & stuff is done.

skydancer

Dec 31, 2006, 11:20 PM

Post #15 of 16 (2391 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ron Pickering W3FJW] Nogales south on 15

I warned you we are new to this (grin). It's our first time driving from Nogales South. I think I have all the information I need. Will be on the road on Tuesday, 1/2/07. Thanks and Happy New Year.

Ron Pickering W3FJW

Dec 31, 2006, 11:28 PM

Post #16 of 16 (2388 views)

Shortcut

Everyone is new to someone at some time.
No need to worry, you shouldn't have any problems.
Just make sure you don't have a firearm and/or bullets in your vehicle.
Enjoy your trip....

(This post was edited by Ron Pickering W3FJW on Dec 31, 2006, 11:28 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4