Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

belgique

Dec 20, 2006, 6:49 PM

Post #1 of 7 (3536 views)

Shortcut

Pain Medications (Quick answer appreciated)

Can't Post | Private Reply
Daniele is under the care of pain management in NC. I asked about pain meds awhile ago and from the answers things seemed ok for our trip down in the RV. We brought copies of her prescriptions because we knew we would need a refill since you can only get a 30 day supply in the US.

Well, today we got had by the Clinica Balboa in Maz. She saw a Dr and he said he could only give 20 pills (Percocet) at a time but could write several more scrips that could be filled later. The clinic also switched between dollars and pesos in prices. They said $65US for the office visit and the the cost of the meds that the pharmacy would deliver. Well, he then tried to charge us $65 for EACH of the scrips and the total was going to be $800 US including the meds. We rasied hell and told them to stuff it and they then said charge for only one office visit and 2 boxes of the meds for a total of about $130 US.

Its a longer story but the real issue is what they prescribed is Neo-Percodan which doesn't even come close to Percocet. The Dr claimed they don't have Percocet in MX yet the Pharmacist last night said they had it...just needed a scrip. So we're out $130 for meds that won't work. If we can't solve this then we'll have to head NOB because the pain is too much.

How you can help:

We'll be in Lo de Marcus tomorrow. Plan is to talk to the RV Park owner and hook up with his Dr and get the truth. Can anyone suggest a better plan? Anyone know for a fact that Percocet is avail in MX?

Any suggestions on how to register a complaint on Clinica Balboa with appropriate authorities.

This aggravating because every single dealing and encounter we have had during the past 2 weeks has been fantastic. We are taking the attitude that this clinic is a tourist trap and will turn the page and move on...if we can solve the pain.

Thanks all and a Joyous Season to all of you. (PS: Ill post this on the RV forum to since maybe travellers might have encountered this)

esperanza

Dec 20, 2006, 9:28 PM

Post #2 of 7 (3499 views)

Shortcut

Re: [belgique] Pain Medications (Quick answer appreciated)

You might want to try Dolac. It's a sublingual (under the tongue) tablet that works like a miracle against pain. No prescription necessary, about 60 pesos for two tablets at any pharmacy. Be SURE to specify that you want the sublingual tablets.

You can also get it at most Farmacias de Similares--tell them you want the similar for Dolac. They sell a bottle of four tablets for about 50 pesos.

It might not be as strong a medicine as she needs, but you'll only be out a few pesos if it doesn't work. And you can save what's left for yourself, in case of toothache or other pain.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

(This post was edited by esperanza on Dec 20, 2006, 9:29 PM)

belgique

Dec 20, 2006, 9:43 PM

Post #3 of 7 (3491 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Pain Medications (Quick answer appreciated)

Thanks Esperanza. We'll try it. The stuff she is on is very strong thus the reason that we could only come here with a 30 day supply. We brought Rx copies from her Pain Mgt Dr and was sure there was something here since Mexican Nationals must need pain management too. Sure hope we can find something because we don't want to cut this great trip short. Again, thanks, Steve

sfmacaws

Dec 20, 2006, 10:35 PM

Post #4 of 7 (3484 views)

Shortcut

I also have used Dolac for severe pain but in 10mg tablet form, it worked very well - about like vicodin. Perhaps not what your friend needs though. I have been with a friend who had severe pain from migraines and convinced a pharmacist to give her a shot of dilaudid which would certainly equal percodan. My limited knowledge of pain management in Mexico is that opiates are used most of the time and often in either self-administered shots or by a shot at a pharmacy. I think the problem you are having is that you are in a tourist area and there is a lot of suspicion of tourists looking for serious pain drugs. There is also a lot of fear that if they give these tourists serious pain drugs they will get themselves in trouble. You will have to overcome this suspicion somehow and the best way I can recommend is to come to the pharmacist or doctor recommended by someone they trust. The drugs are available in Mexico, perhaps in different compounds and via different means of administration but they are here, it's just getting someone to treat you fairly and not be suspicious of you.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

toddmc

Dec 21, 2006, 1:08 PM

Post #5 of 7 (3427 views)

Shortcut

Hello

Sorry to hear of your ordeal.

You asked about steps to deal with Clinica Balboa.

I would have a look at this website.

http://pacificpearl.com/medinfo.htm

Good Luck

Todd

(This post was edited by toddmc on Dec 21, 2006, 1:12 PM)

belgique

Dec 22, 2006, 9:45 AM

Post #6 of 7 (3358 views)

Shortcut

Thanks all. I think we have solved the problem in PV. For future ref, Percocet (Oxycodone) is called Plexicodim in MX. Merry Christmas All! Steve

garrycouch

Dec 24, 2006, 7:15 AM

Post #7 of 7 (3266 views)

Shortcut

Re: Pain Medications - Beware Dolac!

Just a heads-up.... dolac (ketorolac tromethamine) is for limited, short term use only and can have significant side effects, namely: Stomach upset is the most common, often with nausea, vomiting, bloating, gas, and loss of appetitemay. Some users may develop persistent stomach pain, black or bloody stools, skin rash, itching, breathing difficulties, edema (swelling of the feet or hands), ringing in the ears or vision changes while taking this medication. This medication may cause dizziness, drowsiness or blurred vision. Avoid activities requiring alertness if this occurs. Infrequently, this medication may increase the skin's sensitivity to sunlight. If this happens to you, avoid prolonged sun exposure, wear protective clothing and use a sunscreen. Avoid sunlamps. Be ceratin that doctor is aware of your medical history especially of any liver or kidney disease, blood disorders, ulcers, heart disease, alcohol use, high blood pressure, eye disease or allergies, especially drug allergies. Limit alcohol intake as it may intensify the drowsiness effect of this medication. This medicine may cause stomach bleeding. Daily use of alcohol, especially when combined with this medicine, may increase your risk for stomach bleeding. Do not take aspirin without consulting your doctor. Check the ingredients of any nonprescription medication you may be taking since many cough-and-cold formulas contain aspirin.

As you are aware, I'm sure, workers in Mexican pharmacies are not pharmacists, with rare exception. And Mexican doctors are just as prone as U.S. doctors to prescribe as instructed by pharmaceutical salesmen. Sorry to be so negative but the above is from personal and family experience and I felt that you should be aware... do homework on this one on the internet, if you wish. I truly hope that you pain can be safely taken care of.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4