Forums  > General > General Forum
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Gringal

Dec 26, 2006, 10:14 AM

Post #26 of 28 (434 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Moisheh] NAFTA Super Highway

Can't Post | Private Reply
" NOB the trailers are considered diposable. After about 5 to 7 years they buy new ones as the old trailers are suffering from metal fatigue. Where do you think those trailers are today??"

I was once acquainted with the same business and you've made your point well.
The trailer food chain goes from shiny new acquisition to the heavy machinery auction yard, where lesser transporters and small time machinery dealers acquire them. It's probably safe to assume that some of them eventually go SOB for their final resting place.

However, I feel it's appropriate to point out that even with the many scales and inspections in the U.S., every small time trucker knows the routes around them and often alerts their buds when the scales are closed.

The private trucker's top priority is to get'er'done, since that's what they are being paid for. These folks are by no means getting rich at this, so they tend to shave the safety issues thin. (Multiple retreads, etc.)

To me, it's scary to have a heavy transporter right behind me on the highway either in Mexico or the U.S. because I know how much territory is covered in an emergency stop, even with the best of brakes and tires. You, the passenger car, are likely to be toast. Best to let them pass. In fact, give them a little help with your blinkers when it's safe for them to pull back in. Their lives are not easy ones.

sfmacaws

Dec 26, 2006, 12:43 PM

Post #27 of 28 (420 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] NAFTA Super Highway

Just for info. I have seen truck scales several times along the highways. I have no idea who uses them or why or if they are monitored but they do exist.

I've also seen trucks inspected but probably more for smuggling or not paying taxes than safety. There is a well known graveyard along the road between Escarcega and Chetumal where up to 50 trucks of varying ages are slowly being covered by vines. They were confiscated at a border inspection station there.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Papirex

Dec 26, 2006, 4:04 PM

Post #28 of 28 (393 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] NAFTA Super Highway

They also do have commercial drivers’ licenses for truckers in Mexico. I know, because about six years ago, several officials were arrested in Mexico City for selling them. The going price was at that time $350 Pesos, or about $35 US Bucks. I don’t know what the price to get a CDL was in the rest of the country.

Rex

"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4