Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Gulf of Mexico

tfyoung

Dec 19, 2006, 5:28 PM

Post #1 of 10 (4295 views)

Shortcut

books about the gulf coast

Can't Post | Private Reply
We are planning a trip to the Veracruz/Xalapa/Xico/Coatepec area next spring or summer. I have one travel book, Mexico's Gulf Coast, published by Hunter Travel Guides. In my local book store, there doesn't seem to be an abundance of Mexican gulf coast books. Can anyone recommend a good travel book for the area?

"El Gringo Jalapeño"

Dec 19, 2006, 7:17 PM

Post #2 of 10 (4284 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tfyoung] books about the gulf coast

¡Hola, amigos costeños!
I did a Google search and came up with http://www.ebooks.com/...splay.asp?IID=266280
which looks like the book you bought!
I didn't find much else. Guess I'll just have to write a book myself!
¡Suerte!
¡Feliz Navidad y Prospero Año para todos!
Roy B. Dudley "El Gringo Jalapeño" See more about Xalapa at www.xalaparoy.com

Ed and Fran

Dec 19, 2006, 8:30 PM

Post #3 of 10 (4274 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tfyoung] books about the gulf coast

They're probably not available north of the border, but the magazine "Mexico Desconocido" puts out a series of special issues called "Guia Mexico Desconocido" with one issue on each state. These are magazines, about 100 pages each (+/-) depending on the state involved.

If you know anyone who may be traveling south of the border, you might ask them to bring you back a copy of the Guia on Veracruz state. They're usually available at bigger magazine stands.

Incidentally, if you have plans to spend much time in Mexico, a subscription to the magazine itself would be worthwhile.

Here's a link to their website:
http://www.mexicodesconocido.com/english/index.cfm

Regards

Ed & Fran

smokesilver

Dec 20, 2006, 7:43 PM

Post #4 of 10 (4253 views)

Shortcut

Re: ["El Gringo Jalapeño"] books about the gulf coast

Great. I'll buy the first one. Thanks.

eportis

Dec 20, 2006, 10:24 PM

Post #5 of 10 (4243 views)

Shortcut

Re: [smokesilver] books about the gulf coast

The State of Veracruz publishes a number of "mapas turisticos" and, more importantly, guide books that are in both Spanish and English. They are collectively entitled the "Rutas de Veracruz." We found the one covering Xalapa and the surrounding area (including Coatepec, Xico, Teolcelo, Naolinco, Perote, etc.) very useful -- I think it was called "La Ruta de Niebla." We puchased this in Xalapa (at the anthropological museum which has a very useful bookstore for the tourist). Unfortunately, I loaned it to an out of town friend, but on one of the maps they post the website, www.rutasdeveracruz.com. Good luck. Ed Portis

ignacio

Dec 21, 2006, 10:31 AM

Post #6 of 10 (4225 views)

Shortcut

Re: [eportis] books about the gulf coast

I would recommend for both a wonderful description, and incredible pictures:

http://www.vivaveracruz.com/blog/

Hope you enjoy Veracruz when you come visiting !

(This post was edited by Rolly on Dec 21, 2006, 11:05 AM)

tonyburton

Dec 22, 2006, 3:36 PM

Post #7 of 10 (4200 views)

Shortcut

Roy, Yes, you need to write a book!
For a book published in 2006, the Hunter volume is remarkably out of date in terms of politics - see p 30 of the available scanned pages: http://www.ebooks.com/...D=266280&Page=30

sparks

Dec 25, 2006, 4:52 AM

Post #8 of 10 (4174 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ignacio] books about the gulf coast

Nothing there .... but they do have a forum

http://www.vivaveracruz.com/

Sparks Mexico - Sparks Costalegre

"El Gringo Jalapeño"

Dec 26, 2006, 5:03 PM

Post #9 of 10 (4147 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonyburton] books about the gulf coast

Tony:
Looks like I will have to take on the challenge of writing a book about Mexico's Gulf Coast.
Right now one of the most reknowned authors on books about Mexico...and your "tocayo", Tony Cohan(On Mexico Time, Mexican Days) is upstairs in my apartment with his family spending this Christmas vacation. Hopefully he will give me some valuable pointers about writing, etc. Any help from you and the rest of the "amigos costeños" will be greatly appreciated. I need to look into options like publishing myself, look for sponsor, ebooks, etc.
Well, the rest of my family will be arriving soon from Mexico City, so I have got to go.
¡Prospero Año Nuevo!
¡Portense mal y cuidense bien, sin mirar a quien!

Roy B. Dudley "El Gringo Jalapeño" See more about Xalapa at www.xalaparoy.com

(This post was edited by "El Gringo Jalapeño" on Dec 26, 2006, 5:04 PM)

tfyoung

Dec 29, 2006, 5:28 PM

Post #10 of 10 (4114 views)

Shortcut

Roy,
I recently read Mexican Days, and it was largely responsible for my current interest in the gulf area. My wife and I lived in San Miguel from 1986-1988. We went broke and had to return to the States and get real jobs. So we evidently left the year Tony arrived. It was a great time to be there. We are, however, disappointed with the direction San Miguel has taken and are looking for places that still have the characteristics that first attracted us to Mexico. The Xalapa area may fill the bill, but we haven't made a visit yet. We can retire in six more years, so we still have some time to look around. I do recommend Tony's book for anybody trying to discover, or rediscover, the right place in Mexico.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4