Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > North Pacific Region

Bloviator

Dec 19, 2006, 5:22 AM

Post #1 of 11 (10680 views)

Shortcut

Alamos

Can't Post | Private Reply
I will be spending two days in Alamos - 12/29-30. Can anyone recommend a good restaurant there and suggest things to see??

Sorry to put this on Lake Chapala forum, but I can't figure out how to post it elsewhere.

Thanks

bournemouth

Dec 19, 2006, 6:57 AM

Post #2 of 11 (10659 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dlyman6500] Alamos

Try here: http://www.alamosmexico.com/

There is also a Yahoo group for Alamos folks and those interested in Alamos.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/alamosnews/

(This post was edited by Rolly on Dec 19, 2006, 8:08 AM)

Bloviator

Dec 19, 2006, 8:54 AM

Post #3 of 11 (10634 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Alamos

Checking it out, seems there are several very nice restaurants. Since that is the case, more than ever, I would like personal recommendations. One is the B&B where we are staying, so I suspect that if we ask there, the recommendation will be for their restaurant. That sounds good, but would like other suggestions.

How about restaurants in the south end of Navajoa or anywhere in Navajoa? We may be meeting friends for dinner in Navajoa who will be traveling through on the same day.

bournemouth

Dec 19, 2006, 11:29 AM

Post #4 of 11 (10620 views)

Shortcut

If you want an elegant meal - not the same as a really good meal, you understand - in a wonderful ambiente - then Hacienda de los Santos is it - you will probably need a reservation. It is a gorgeous hotel in the small boutique hotels group, not to be missed. When you make the reservation, ask for Elvia (she is usually in the front office) and tell her we send good wishes and hope to see her in the future.

I can't help you with Navojoa - we usually just pass through although the Best Western hotel near the river does a good breakfast, or did the last time we stopped.

Bloviator

Dec 20, 2006, 5:49 AM

Post #5 of 11 (10596 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Alamos

Thanks - the restaurant at the Best Western is fairly good. It will be our choice if I don't get a better suggestion and if we do go down to Navajoa to eat.

rovingmx

Dec 20, 2006, 5:12 PM

Post #6 of 11 (10569 views)

Shortcut

One restaurant near Alamos that I recommend for either lunch or dinner is located near the town of Minas Nuevas, which you drive through just before entering Alamos. At a tope at the end of town is a sign on the right directing you to the Casa de Aduana (something like that). To reach it you turn at the tope and drive a couple of miles on a dirt road that crosses a large dry wash (totally passable without problems) then pavement begins and you drive into the village and the restaurant is directly in front of you to the right. Go for lunch and I think you'll be glad that you did. The owner is Sam Beardsley and he is very proud of his eatery and the preparations, and he'll gladly tell you all about them. I had my first great meal there on Christmas night, '97, and my most recent on Christmas night last year. Well worth the trip to see the old customs house and what he has done with it and eat some of his great food. Dick

bournemouth

Dec 20, 2006, 5:23 PM

Post #7 of 11 (10567 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rovingmx] Alamos

You are right - I forgot about that one. A group of us had a memorable lunch there the day after New Year a few years ago. The gas oven blew up while Sam was lighting it and he came out minus his eyebrows and the hair on his arms - but the food was great. We found it hard to believe we were sitting in this rather deserted town having such wonderful food.

Also the co-operative craft shop across from the Church is not to be missed. The ladies rush out to open it as soon as someone arrives in front of the Church and parks.

However, the OP should be aware that the last stretch of road up there is rather rough - if you are taking the Jeep, all will be well.

Kimpatsu Hekigan

Dec 20, 2006, 9:49 PM

Post #8 of 11 (10551 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dlyman6500] Alamos cuisine choices

Just poking around the Web a bit, you might want to check out the following site to get an idea of the level of food available, especially the most recent postings which list restaurant offerings for Christmas and New Year's (scroll down):

http://visitalamos.com/forum/

A new restaurant that I've heard friends mention is Charisma, open only Thursday through Sunday. Supoosed to be pretty good.

But in the past, the best food I've had in Alamos has been at La Puerta Roja, a pleasant B&B that also hosts dinners once a week. Here was their fixed-price meal for this evening (Wednesday, 20 Dec) from a posting on Alamos News:

http://groups.yahoo.com/...mosnews/message/3094

I don't think you'll go hungry...

FWIW,

-- K.H.

The Disciple lamented, "Master! Why is my life beset with problems?!"
The Master observed, "Only tourists step in dog droppings..."

Bloviator

Dec 21, 2006, 5:57 AM

Post #9 of 11 (10540 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rovingmx] Alamos

Thanks to the two suggestions for the Minas Nuevas restaurant. It sounds perfect. We'll definitely eat lunch there. Dinner might be a problem if it is dark. My wife is really not much for dirt roads even if we will have our 4wd Mountaineer with us.

We're staying at the the Puerta Roja, so will perhaps eat dinner there, though I like the idea of seeing different places.

Now that our itinerary for Alamos is set, how about dinner places in San Blas. We're staying there among the no-see-ums and mosquitos the night before Alamos. Perhaps a recommendation for indoor dining is appropriate, though I can't really imagine eating indoors at the beach.

For once, I'm excited about the boring trip north. We will be in two new and interesting places instead of the usual Maz, Navajoa, Sonoyta (or Ajo or Gila Bend if we decide to be tired rather than bored by not stopping in Sonoyta).

In a previous discussion, someone on the forum chastised me for not stopping to smell the roses (ie. not taking the extra 70 mile round trip to Alamos). This time, I'm almost giddy with the thought of all the roses and San Blas also.

Kimpatsu Hekigan

Dec 21, 2006, 9:57 AM

Post #10 of 11 (10527 views)

Shortcut

Re: San Blas

Restaurant El Delfin inside the grounds of the Hotel Garza-Canela is definitely worth a stop for dinner...

You might want to check out this thread:

Lonely Planet Thorntree post about San Blas

FWIW,

-- K.H.

The Disciple lamented, "Master! Why is my life beset with problems?!"
The Master observed, "Only tourists step in dog droppings..."

bournemouth

Dec 21, 2006, 10:11 AM

Post #11 of 11 (10521 views)

Shortcut

Re: [kimpatsu_hekigan] San Blas

A few years back we had a great lunch there too. A nice place.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4