Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Gulf of Mexico

Wupatki

Dec 16, 2006, 9:38 AM

Post #1 of 5 (3762 views)

Shortcut

stuck in victoria, tam.

Can't Post | Private Reply
I got as far as Cd. Victoria, Tamaulipas, on my bicycle and can get no further due to a knee that needs rest. I wouldn´t mind staying here, but I have no contacts here at all, my Spanish is woefully inadequate, I haven´t run into an English speaker, and I need help finding an apartment for three months.

A search of People´s Guide web links hasn´t been productive in finding what I need. Can anyone provide me with a contact who could help me find an aparment?

Thanks

Wupatki, aka George Gore
George Gore

Rolly

Dec 16, 2006, 9:50 AM

Post #2 of 5 (3758 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Wupatki] stuck in victoria, tam.

There probably is a tourist office where someone might speak English or can put you in contact with a speaker.

The high school will have an English teacher.

Check with the Mormon church; one or more of the missionaries in the area will speak English.

Rolly Pirate

wandaorr

Dec 17, 2006, 4:20 PM

Post #3 of 5 (3731 views)

Shortcut

Russ & Rosie the owners of the Victoria RV Park Have some small apartments in the RV park and are real fine people . The park is on Blvd F. Velazquez Telephone 312 4824. Good Luck

"El Gringo Jalapeño"

Dec 18, 2006, 8:06 AM

Post #4 of 5 (3709 views)

Shortcut

George:
Sorry to hear about the knee! We of the "Cafecletos"(the group I belong to here in Xalapa that promotes the use of bicycles) was looking forward to meeting you and showing you around. Keep us informed on how you do. ¡Suerte!
It is great that Rolly and others are giving such good advice and have been following this forum.
Hopefully the "Ramas"(see my article "Jalapeña Christmas")will be starting today, with kids coming around with a branch decorated with Spanish moss and ornaments, singing songs and asking for a "limosna".
I hope you are all enjoying this season, no matter where you are at.
¡Feliz Navidad y Prospero Año Nuevo!
Roy B. Dudley "El Gringo Jalapeño" See more about Xalapa at www.xalaparoy.com

sfmacaws

Dec 21, 2006, 6:14 PM

Post #5 of 5 (3658 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wandaorr] stuck in victoria, tam.

Russ & Rosie the owners of the Victoria RV Park Have some small apartments in the RV park and are real fine people . The park is on Blvd F. Velazquez Telephone 312 4824. Good Luck

Russ died this year but Rosie is still there and speaks english.

Also look for an english school or a language school, they are in most places, since you'll be there anyway you might take spanish. If there are that few english speakers around then you will be in a true immersion situation and should learn quickly.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4