Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

barmarr

Dec 14, 2006, 12:22 AM

Post #1 of 12 (3149 views)

Shortcut

Looking for nice Pacific Ocean Village

Can't Post | Private Reply
We have been coming to Puerto Vallarta for 12 years and have loved it. However, it has grown so much with increased tourism that it has lost some of it's quaintness.

We have decided to look for a new area that is somewhere on the Pacific side, far enough south to be warm for the winter and small enough to be friendly, quaint and reasonably priced to rent, to buy, or just to visit.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

donemry

Dec 14, 2006, 4:35 AM

Post #2 of 12 (3131 views)

Shortcut

Re: [barmarr] Looking for nice Pacific Ocean Village

Going north, De los Marcos or San Blas, assuming that you want to be near the coast.

sparks

Dec 14, 2006, 7:40 AM

Post #3 of 12 (3104 views)

Shortcut

To the south is the Costalegre with towns like Melaque, Barra de Navidad and La Manzanilla
http://sparks-mexico.com/costalegre/

I live in Melaque so am partial

Sparks Mexico - Sparks Costalegre

morgaine7

Dec 14, 2006, 8:46 AM

Post #4 of 12 (3087 views)

Shortcut

Here's one on the "other" Pacific Coast:
http://www.bajabnb.com/index.html

I haven't been there personally, but these folks (Mexican/Canadian couple with a teenage daughter) really seem to enjoy life. They have a small B&B there and by all accounts are delighted to welcome visitors and prospective neighbors.

Kate

RickS

Dec 15, 2006, 10:02 AM

Post #5 of 12 (3000 views)

Shortcut

Assuming you aren't tired of the general PV area but are just bumbed out on PV's growth itself, Donemry's recommendations are good and just up the road.... a taxi or collectivo ride north up 200. Also give the first (and largest) village a try.... Sayulita. It too has grown but still has dirt streets and a quaint feel. Next up the road is San Francisco (San Pancho) which we love, then Lo de Marcos, both very small. Then Rincon de Guyabitos is next... a larger town with many hotels and probably more 'things to do'. All of these are within a 15 mile stretch of that coast.

I can also vouch for Spark's hometown area, Melaque/Barra de Navidad and La Manzanilla (not to be confused with Manzanillo) and the general area around Bahia Tenacatita just up the road from them. One could fly into Manzanillo and bus up to any of these.

If you REALLY want to try something different, check out the Huatulco which is waaaay south and still unspoiled.

al5359

Dec 16, 2006, 10:11 AM

Post #6 of 12 (2915 views)

Shortcut

Go south to the little village of Cuyutlan. My wife and I bought beachfront property there this year and we love it. I have made 7 trips south this year and the last one we spent 3 days in Spark's beloved Melaque. We stayed at La Brizas and loved it. Also ate breakfast every morning at Roosters, owned by the nicest Canadian couple you'll ever meet. The only problem I had with the area was that you felt like you were in the states, or Canada. We live 10 miles from the B.C. border and can spot a Canuck (no offense meant) a mile away. While I understand there are rude people everywhere, we saw a number of instances where the tourists treated the locals VERY poorly. On one particular night, my wife had to keep me away from throwing 4 french Canadians off the second floor of a restaurant because the were yelling at the waiter because he didn't understand their form of "english". In Cuyutlan, we were the only gringos in town for the 4 days we were there and were treated wonderfully. The prices are still very affordable and the locals aren't jaded by the treatment NOB's sometime give them. My spanish is meager but getting better and they have a blast helping me get by without trying to rip me off. At least 6-8 times in Melaque, the taxi driver, vendor, whatever, gave himself a tip thinking I didn't know the difference. I did, but was usually going to tip them anyway so wasn't worth the battle. If you decide to try Cuyutlan, go to the Hotel Fenix, ask for Olivia or Geoff,(they speak english), have a drink and ask them why you should consider their village for your retirement. You'll be glad you did. Oh ya, tell them Al and Di sent you!

sparks

Dec 16, 2006, 10:22 AM

Post #7 of 12 (2909 views)

Shortcut

Re: [al5359] Looking for nice Pacific Ocean Village

Just dropped by Cuyutlan on the way back from Chapala last week and took a few more fotos. It is quiet and small

http://sparks-mexico.com/.../Cuyutlan/index.html

Melaque sure does change between summer and the winter crowds and it's got it's share of troubles with the locals; crime, drugs ... it's not all good

Sparks Mexico - Sparks Costalegre

bcg

Dec 17, 2006, 5:01 PM

Post #8 of 12 (2825 views)

Shortcut

We have gone to Guayabitos for 6 years and really like it. It is a Mexican Resort town with great restaurants but still quiet enough that you can walk the cobblestone streets and learn to know the people. You're only an hour from PV if you just have to go to Sam's club or WalMart. But we can manage quite nicely on what is available there and in LaPenita. I can lead you to some sites with info if you like. BG

jerezano

Dec 17, 2006, 5:38 PM

Post #9 of 12 (2813 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Looking for nice Pacific Ocean Village

Hello,

As I remember Cuyutlan from several years ago (5? maybe), it is quiet as the coastal highway improvement had bypassed it. To go there it must be deliberate. And why should you go there? It is quiet. It is very Mexican. It was a former Mexican tourist beach that was killed by the relocation of the highway. Many abandoned buildings and stores at the entrance to town. Housing should be cheap. Hotels at that time were cheap. Restaurants at that time were cheap. Famous surfing beach as the beach is unprotected. Lots of "beach-bums" during surfing season. Not the place for someone who wants to go swimming in the ocean daily. In fact when I was there in the winter time the beach was flying danger flags. Seafood was good. One of the last lobsters I could afford to eat was there. Locals said they swam in the lagoon, but the lagoon appeared to be real polluted. I was told there was a project to dredge the sand bar and let the ocean in to wash out the pollution. Don't know if that ever happened.

And of course the turtle hatchery is famous.

It is also close to Colima. In fact of all the small beach towns nearest to Colima I liked Cuyutlan the best.

Adiós. jerezano.

barmarr

Dec 17, 2006, 7:38 PM

Post #10 of 12 (2784 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bcg] Looking for nice Pacific Ocean Village

If you are talking about Rincon de Guayabitos just north of Lo de Marcos, the YES, I would love to get more information on the area.
Thanks...

song_of_joy

Dec 17, 2006, 9:23 PM

Post #11 of 12 (2767 views)

Shortcut

For Rincon de Guayabitos, here's a good place to get started:
http://www.mexconnected.com/...es/tbguayabitos.html

and

http://www.mexconnected.com/...3/tbguayabitos2.html

We stayed there last June and liked it very much. It reminded me of tiny beach towns in northern Florida a long, long time ago. I really liked our hotel:

http://www.mexconnected.com/amex/vbv/home.htm

Bubba

Dec 18, 2006, 6:23 AM

Post #12 of 12 (2734 views)

Shortcut

Why not try the wonderful and sparsely settled Pacific coast villages and small towns starting at about Puerto Arista, Chiapas to the many beautiful areas along the Oaxaca coast. You can still buy or rent a home in many of these areas for very little money and the beaches are wonderful. You can choose among many beaches for what interests you from surfing to wading in tranquil waters. One of the reasons we recently bought a home in the Chiapas mountains was so we would be close to these great beach towns. One of our favorite areas in winter is the windy and tropical Isthmus of Tehuantepec towns of Juchitan and Tehuantepec. These primarily Zapateco towns are matriarchal and the women of Tehuatepec dress in beautiful and colorful attire. If they like you they will let you share in their mezcal but if they don´t like you or you turn down a profferred swig of mezcal, they may kick your butt.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4