Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Southern Mexico

Bubba

Dec 6, 2006, 12:05 PM

Post #1 of 7 (6772 views)

Shortcut

Chiapas as Bubba - Imperfection Personified

Can't Post | Private Reply
OK, so Chiapas is #25 in murders among the 31 Mexican states so you can feel good about that and then you must note that it is #5 among those states in rapes and other crimes against women and children largely fueled by alchohol abuse and largely centered among indigenous people who kill each other constantly over social disorders and land disputes and among the 4,000,000 plus or minus inhabitants of this most beautiful of all Mexicans states there are 500,000 adults who are illiterate and that is a "fact" published by the state, not Bubba and the favored way to kill your supposed adversaries down here is not to cut off their heads and roll them across the dance floor as in murderous Michoacan but to stab them repeatedly with icepicks or cut out their guts with machetes and you thought that the low point of your life was a traffic ticket in Guadalajara peabrain.

I´ll tell you this. There is nothing akin to driving your Japanese car into mountains of indescribable beauty passing indigenous womenfolk going the same way up that beautiful mountain with 200 pounds of kindling on their shoulders to bring you back to earth. There is also nothing more illuminating than to hear the cries of injustice emanating from the hypocrites sobbing into their cocktails in the enclaves of the privileged who think they comprehend what this place is all about.

By the way, there is a 21% increase in the number of illegal immigrants captured making their way from Central America to Chiapās over the Comitan Sector over those captured in 2005. That would be 742 illegal immigants caught year to date, 663 of whom were Guatemalans. There was one Ethiopian. There is always one Ethiiopan. Industrious folks those Ethiopians.

(This post was edited by Bubba on Dec 6, 2006, 12:50 PM)

Bubba

Dec 7, 2006, 2:23 PM

Post #2 of 7 (6715 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Chiapas as Bubba - Imperfection Personified

This drive up the mountain I descibed above was to reach the village of Magdalena AKA Aldama (but only Aldama on the map) to pick up a ceremonial huipile ordered by my wife from a local artisan which, of course, was not as yet ready. Aldama is part of the municipality of Larrainza which is up the mountain from San Cristobal at about 8,000 feet and through the much more significant and problematic municipality of Chamula. It is a small village and Zapatista redoubt that looks for all the world the way Bubba remembers rural Uganda looking some 30 plus years ago. It is magnificently if rustically beautiful with red clay earth covered in impossibly green foliage. The smell of wood smoke, crowing of roosters and shanty, tin roofed housing took me back to that Africa of long ago.

Well, anyway, as I stated earlier, the huipile was not ready so we returned to San Cristobal with the intent of returning to Aldama a few months hence when the huipile "might" be finished and, as we road through Larrainza on our way back down the mountain, there before us was a shack in a funky part of funky Larrainza with a handpainted sign on its front advertising "Doctor & Dentist". Who the hell says rural Chiapas is not progressive.

wendy devlin

Dec 7, 2006, 6:19 PM

Post #3 of 7 (6692 views)

Shortcut

>handpainted sign on its front advertising "Doctor & Dentist".

Two for one. Now that's a deal!

Way back near the dawn of time, I did a six month stint, mid-wifing in America.

Well babies aren't born every day of the week, don'tcha know.

So midst babes, I moonlighted doing dental hygiene, apprenticed to the local dentist. He figured that he could train me up to a dentistry level in a few years, high enough, so he could spend more time fishing.

Them's were the days.

Although Chiapas may still be in them.

esperanza

Dec 7, 2006, 6:46 PM

Post #4 of 7 (6686 views)

Shortcut

*sigh*

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

LostAlmost

Mar 4, 2011, 12:50 PM

Post #5 of 7 (5780 views)

Shortcut

Bubba, My friend Joyce told me she met you in Chiapas, that you and your wife lived there when she visited a few years ago. Your wife was learning Mayan. Are you that same Bubba? I would like to introduce myself. I live in Los Alamos NM, and will be in Chiapas in a few weeks for a 3 week visit. Joyce said you might be a good contact. However she could not remember your 'real' name and suggested I contact you thru MexConnect. So, if you are still living there (it sounded from some posts you might be in Ajijiic) I would enjoy corresponding with you. I couldn't send you a private message, hence this rather public post. My apologies.

Sherry (LostAlmost)

wendy devlin

Mar 4, 2011, 1:00 PM

Post #6 of 7 (5773 views)

Shortcut

Re: [LostAlmost] Chiapas as Bubba - Imperfection Personified

Try sending a PM to 'Vichil', Bubba's wife if you wish to make contact.

LostAlmost

Mar 4, 2011, 7:15 PM

Post #7 of 7 (5735 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wendy devlin] Chiapas as Bubba - Imperfection Personified

thanks I'll do that.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4