Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

Bloviator

Dec 5, 2006, 5:58 AM

Post #1 of 9 (1931 views)

Shortcut

Overnight Trips from Lakeside

Can't Post | Private Reply
Now that our re-model (turned out to be pretty much of a re-build for a lot of the house) is about completed, I'm interested in some overnight trips (from Lakeside) within a five hour drive.

Could some of you recommend your favorite trips to such places as the Costa Alegre (perhaps more than an overnight), Manzanillo, Patzcuaro, Guanajuato, and others. I would be interested in suggested route, hotels if known, restaurants, and sight seeing to experience.

I'll start with our not so recent trip to Colima. The route is easy, just go past Jocotepec, follow the road to Guad and make a hard left onto the Cuota. It is about two hours from Ajijic if you go direct. Four hours if you take the free road (which is generally straight and easy to drive) and stop at Zocoalco to check out the equipale furniture and Sayula to check out the nice square and the knife factory.

Don't remember the name of the hotel, but it was right on the main square in Colima. In the evening we sat, drank a little tequila, and watched the people parading and a series of beautiful wedding parties going into the cathedral just across the street. Hotel price about $800 pesos. We ate out near Comala at a (??? - they call it tapas in Spain - place). It was fun. Filled with Mexicans and music. We also ate at the hotel. Food was good and inexpensive.

There are two interesting "pyramid" sites that we visited - really townsites. We also went to Comala and wandered around the plaza (I wish the Ajijic plaza was like it).

Remember, we are talking about overnight trips. I know there are other things around that area, but one day only gives one time for a certain amount of sightseeing.

Another is Manzanillo. Same route, just two or three hours more. Hotel is the Posada - a very nice place ($550 pesos less discount for Lakeside locals). Lots of restaurants along the beach near the hotel. We wandered through the downtown, which is very much tourist oriented now that cruise ships stop there. After five, the cruise ships are gone and it isn't quite so insane.

Thanks for any input you might make.

skelleyhoutex

Dec 5, 2006, 2:39 PM

Post #2 of 9 (1889 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dlyman6500] Overnight Trips from Lakeside

I bet the hotel in Colima was Los Cebollas, a Best Western hotel and very nice. Best Western is high end in Mexico.

wendy devlin

Dec 5, 2006, 6:46 PM

Post #3 of 9 (1859 views)

Shortcut

Tapalpa, good choice of accomodations...go during the week to avoid weekend crowds.
Back road from Sayula, up to old San Gabriel, turn left towards Cuidad Guzman...check out the lake, stroll around the plaza, on to Comala.

Stay at the Casa Alvarada Bed and Breakfast in Comala:
www.tomzap.com/alvarada.html

email casa_alvarada@hotmail.com

Or ask around for the location of the six informal b & b's in people's homes.

Eat at Los Portales de Suchitlán, drive up to Laguna de la Maria, a picturesque small volcanic lake set in a coffee plantation and nature trails.

Poke around Colima back-roads towards Manzanillo.
Check out descriptions of places at www.gomanzanillo.com

Drop in on Shoe and Sparks in Melaque:)

Stay in La Manzanilla. Snorkel at Tenacatita. Get there soon.
The Costa Alegre is changing. Development.

Return via Hwy 80. Side trip to Purificacione. One of Jalisco's earliest colonial towns. Fantastic setting. Town was 'dry' when we visited. Traditional kind of place.

Sidetrip off Hwy 80 El Grullo, walk around a typical small prosperous colonial town.
Climb to the mirador above the town to see the extent of the valley.

Check out Autlán. Pay homage to statue of local boy done good.
Carlos Santana.

Bloviator

Dec 5, 2006, 8:50 PM

Post #4 of 9 (1829 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wendy devlin] Overnight Trips from Lakeside

Sounds great. We love Tapalpa, but take the northern route through Atemac de Brizuela. Used to be a dirt road, but is now a beautiful road through the forest. A really nice hotel in Tapalpa - don't know the name, but it is just off the plaza ($800 pesos approximately)

The trip you outline is more than an overnight, but definitely worthwhile.

We went to Zocoalco today to buy some equipale furniture. Was wondering how long the trip is from the Colima cuota to Barra de Navidad via hiway 80. On the map it seems to be about 280 km. Is that doable in 4 hours??

song_of_joy

Dec 5, 2006, 10:16 PM

Post #5 of 9 (1818 views)

Shortcut

Tony Burton's book grew out of some day trips and overnights like this. I couldn't recommend it more highly. There are maps at the beginning of each section, too.

If you don't already have it -- Western Mexico A Traveller's Treasury -- I think you'll enjoy it .
http://www.mexconnected.com/sombrero/

And I imagine it's easily available at Lakeside (in either English or Spanish).

About little Zacoalco de Torres: It's the site of one of the earliest Franciscan churches in the area. Many Christian churches were built on the site of razed indigenous temples, some using the same stones. If you look at this small church, you can see pre-Hispanic carvings on many of the stones up toward the roof.

1ajijic

Dec 6, 2006, 6:27 AM

Post #6 of 9 (1793 views)

Shortcut

Re: [song_of_joy] Overnight Trips from Lakeside

Second the vote for Tony Burtons book. I've seen it at Nueva Posada in the bookcase by the desk. Anyone else know another place where it is available?
http://www.newbeginningsmexico.com

tonyburton

Dec 6, 2006, 8:07 AM

Post #7 of 9 (1774 views)

Shortcut

Re: [1ajijic] Overnight Trips from Lakeside

Thanks for the shameless promotion! The book should also be available at Libros y Revistas in the Plaza Bugambilias, and in Sandis Bookstore in Guadalajara. If anyone knows of other locations where it would be worthwhile to display/sell the book, then please let me know in a PM or e-mail and I'll see what I can do. The places mentioned already in this thread are all well worth spending some time in, as are numerous others not yet mentioned, such as Mascota (one of my "new" favourites) and Talpa. (articles on this site tell more)

wendy devlin

Dec 6, 2006, 11:15 AM

Post #8 of 9 (1749 views)

Shortcut

>The trip you outline is more than an overnight, but definitely worthwhile.

>Was wondering how long the trip is from the Colima cuota to Barra de Navidad via hiway 80.

About 4-5 hours. Steep narrow winding highway in sections.

Any of the places mentioned above were within 5 hour driving range. Many loops possible on back highways in the region.

Tony's book has lots of helpful descriptions and background information for the many back-roads of Jalisco and their rich history. Otherwise, one small colonial town might in many ways, look like another.

Many of these colonial small towns are the birth-places of Mexico's most famous writers, artists, musicians, politicians etc. There is often some testament to that fact, mural, statue, house etc. but you might have to know beforehand where to look. Unless you're really good at getting answers to direction questions:)

If you check into the schedule of fiestas patronales or other special events, you can plan to be in the plaza or at the lienzo when an event quite special and unique to that town is happening.

>We went to Zocoalco today to buy some equipale furniture.

Have an article about what I found in that little town when I poked around. My informant if he still lives there, made the best burgers I ever ate in Mexico.

http://www.mexconnected.com/...lin/wdequipales.html

The feed-back received from readers, made me wish I had something to sell...over the internet...like equipales!

Georgia

Dec 8, 2006, 7:51 AM

Post #9 of 9 (1651 views)

Shortcut

1. Tuxpan, on the road to Colima on the feast that occurs 40 days after Christmas Day (just forgot the name..... senior moment). Wonderful dances, celebrations, hospitality throughout the town. Get there before 11 a.m. and enjoy the day. Take a camcorder.

2. Comala. You mentioned it elsewhere, but did you know that the Mexican painter Rangel has his home and museum just outside of Comala? Worth a visit. For living examples of Rangel's painted furniture stay at Hacienda La Esperanza also on the road to Colima. The owner's mother was a friend of Rangel's and he gave her many fine pieces of his painted furniture which grace the guest rooms. Wonderful Sunday meal at this hacienda is open to the public.

3. Ocumicho and Cocucho: in Michoacan, two Purepecha villages each with its own special crafts. Stop by Lago de Camecuaro for lunch on the way there ... bring your bathing suit if the weather is hot. This lake is the purest and most crystalline lake I've ever seen anywhere. This would be a long day, or you might want to stay overnight in Uruapan and stop by the villages of Paracho, where they make guitars, and visit the wonderful pyramids between Uruapan and Patzcuaro.

Oh, I could go on ..... but I'll stop here.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4