Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

bournemouth

Dec 3, 2006, 6:02 AM

Post #1 of 19 (5324 views)

Shortcut

Anti Virus products

Can't Post | Private Reply
It's that time of year again and I am looking at anti-virus products. I remember people this time last year recommending AVG as a free anti-virus service. I've been to the web site but everything seems to be fee based now - have I missed something or has it become a fee product over the last 12 months?

johanson / Moderator

Dec 3, 2006, 6:23 AM

Post #2 of 19 (5320 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Anti Virus products

It's still out there and for free. Just use your favorite search engine and enter something like "avg free" and you will be given the correct URL

bournemouth

Dec 3, 2006, 6:52 AM

Post #3 of 19 (5316 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Anti Virus products

Thanks Pete - I've found it. Are people still happy with it and feel it more than adequately replaces Norton?

johanson / Moderator

Dec 3, 2006, 7:50 AM

Post #4 of 19 (5309 views)

Shortcut

I have only heard good things about AVG. I use it on one of my computers. But I am not an expert on anti-virus software programs. Does anyone else out there want to add their comments?

Rolly

Dec 3, 2006, 9:12 AM

Post #5 of 19 (5300 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Anti Virus products

I've been using AVG for years and have never had a problem or a virus.

Rolly Pirate

bournemouth

Dec 3, 2006, 9:31 AM

Post #6 of 19 (5294 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Anti Virus products

Thanks Rolly - you have convinced me.

bournemouth

Dec 3, 2006, 9:45 AM

Post #7 of 19 (5291 views)

Shortcut

But having now read the AVG site - I have another question. I see that AVG, free version, does not have a firewall. What does one do about a firewall? My HP laptop is now 3 years old and I have to confess that I have not a clue as to whether it has an inbuilt one.

Papirex

Dec 3, 2006, 10:12 AM

Post #8 of 19 (5286 views)

Shortcut

If your operating system is XP, it has a built in firewall, if not, you can use ZoneAlarm free, it works fine. I used it for a couple of years before I went to their paid program, which is a little more comprehensive.

I use ZoneAlarm in two of our three computers. My newest laptop went crazy when I loaded the ZoneAlarm paid version in it. I had read somewhere that it did not function well in XP, oddly enough, all three of the computers use XP, the only difference is that the new laptop uses XP Home, and the other two use XP Pro. I deleted it, and I am now using the built in firewall in XP in the laptop. It works fine and I still get reports when I run the Shields Up! Program that the computer is invisible, and is a non-existent computer to any passing probe.

When my subscription for the ZoneAlarm paid program runs out next year, I am going to delete it in the other two computers and use the XP firewall.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

Rolly

Dec 3, 2006, 10:44 AM

Post #9 of 19 (5280 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RexC] Anti Virus products

I have been using ZoneAlarm Pro for years. I like it very much. It has more features than the slightly anemic firewall that comes with XP. For example, it controls what leaves your computer as well as what comes in, which XP does not. This means your box can not be used as a zombie even if something slips past your virus guard.

It has one feature I use a lot -- it allows me to block all internet activity from my DSL line while I am doing resource-intensive things like video editing and CD/DVD burning. This block insures that there will be no automatic downloads or Skype calls that might slow down my other activities.

I think the combination of ZoneAlarm and AVG is as good as you can get. Both can be free, but the paid versions of both are better.

I also use AdSubtract.

Rolly Pirate

bournemouth

Dec 3, 2006, 10:59 AM

Post #10 of 19 (5276 views)

Shortcut

Thanks guys for all that information. I have XP home so I will avoid Zone Alarm and have to trust to what comes on the computer. I truly appreciate all the help.

Papirex

Dec 3, 2006, 12:40 PM

Post #11 of 19 (5266 views)

Shortcut

Yes Rolly, Zone Alarm pro does have some nice features. One of them that I really like is the ability to clean my cache instantaneously with one click. I bought the PCPitstop optimizer program abut a year ago, and it will do that automatically too when I run it, but it takes about a minute or two because it is doing several other things at the same time.

I donít do any video editing (donít know how), and I never really thought about incoming stuff slowing me down when I am burning CDs. If it was a problem, my high-speed cable modem has a button on it to put it on standby. Iím not sure about it, but I think that would block any incoming stuff, I know it blocks me from accessing the Internet. I donít know if a DSL modem has the same type of feature.

I think I am pretty well protected from having a zombie use my computer to send spam without my knowledge. I use the Microsoft Office Premium Suite 2000. After all the problems Microsoft had with that program being targeted for malicious attacks a few years ago, they have really screwed security down tight.

On rare occasions, I have had my Email client, MS Outlook; block me from sending URLs in Emails. I get the message that it may be dangerous, and contain malicious content, or spam, so the attachment was deleted by Outlook. A couple of my nieces in the US occasionally send me photos that have been deleted by Outlook too for the same reason. I think they may be using an ISP that has a reputation for allowing spam to be sent by their users.

On those rare occasions, the workaround for me is to open my Incredimail Email client, and copy and paste the Email with attachment that I want to send. The photos from my nieces always appear in Incredimail.

Rex

"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

Rolly

Dec 3, 2006, 12:54 PM

Post #12 of 19 (5262 views)

Shortcut

A few words about Ad Substract Pro. In addition to doing a great job of blocking ads, it has a very useful cookie management scheme. Cookies that you want to keep -- sign-ins, etc -- can be isolated into a safe, and all the others deleted each time you boot your compter. That way you are free of yesterday's tracking cookies without loosing the ones you would like to keep active.

http://www.intermute.com/ is the place to look at it.

Rolly Pirate

Papirex

Dec 3, 2006, 1:15 PM

Post #13 of 19 (5258 views)

Shortcut

Bournemouth, if you havenít found it yet, to enable the XP firewall, open the control panel. There is an icon for the firewall there. Click on it and your will be able to turn on the firewall.

Rex

bournemouth

Dec 3, 2006, 1:28 PM

Post #14 of 19 (5255 views)

Shortcut

Thanks Rex. I checked and it is enabled.

Papirex

Dec 3, 2006, 2:34 PM

Post #15 of 19 (5251 views)

Shortcut

Rolly, Ad Subtract interested me. When I clicked on the link, there was the message that they have discontinued selling it separately as of September 15. Evidently it has been bundled in to their antivirus program. I was moved to a page for their antivirus program.

The text says that current subscribers will continue to receive support until the end of their subscription. Iím pretty happy with Norton, so I guess I will stick to them. Thanks anyway.

Rex

Rolly

Dec 3, 2006, 3:58 PM

Post #16 of 19 (5243 views)

Shortcut

Well, what a revolting development!

Rolly Pirate

Papirex

Dec 3, 2006, 5:55 PM

Post #17 of 19 (5234 views)

Shortcut

It looks like you remember the old Riley show too Smile

Rex

joemango

May 28, 2007, 10:45 AM

Post #18 of 19 (5167 views)

Shortcut

Go to google and type AVG 7.5 free edition. That will take you to the free download without the 30 day license. It updates usually every day between 9am and 1pm. Most importantly it's Microsoft approved and problem free.

Oscar2

May 29, 2007, 10:31 PM

Post #19 of 19 (5144 views)

Shortcut

The following website is an antivirus used by many of the stronger tech support technicians who are tech gurus and who turned me on to Avast. They use it because itís effective, updated regularly and doesnít slow your PC like Norton Antivirus programs do.

Most important, yes it's free. If its not to your liking, you always have the option to delete it. The HOME version is free.

http://www.avast.com/...ate_avast_4_vps.html

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4