Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

drfugawe

Nov 30, 2006, 8:42 AM

Post #1 of 16 (3828 views)

Shortcut

Best Things To Bring Back

Can't Post | Private Reply
Seems like each time we go down to Mexico, we discover something new to bring back, either because it's cheaper, better, or just unavailable here in the US. My list already includes, "real" cinnamon (canela), various chillis, a few selected meds, and a couple of big terra-cota pots. But I'm wondering what others consider worthy of bringing back? How about sharing what it is that you never fail to include when you return.
John

"Self-respect: the secure feeling
that no one, as yet, is suspicious."
H.L. Mencken
____________###

patricio_lintz

Nov 30, 2006, 4:43 PM

Post #2 of 16 (3779 views)

Shortcut

Re: [drfugawe] Best Things To Bring Back

One of the biggest items for tourists is the real Vanilla extract. Cheap and from the land where it originated.

There are way too many arts and crafts to list.

sfmacaws

Nov 30, 2006, 6:06 PM

Post #3 of 16 (3763 views)

Shortcut

I always bring the small boxes of various sauces back, my friends love them. Mole, Adobo, Chipotle, Verde... they are all carried in most grocery stores and are great starters for various things. One of our favorite appetizers for a potluck is just a brick of cream cheese spread with berry jam and Chipotle sauce poured over it, serve with crackers. Sounds a little strange I guess but it is great, sweet and hot.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Cynthia7

Nov 30, 2006, 7:15 PM

Post #4 of 16 (3750 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] Best Things To Bring Back

We bring back Lea and Perrin garlic sauce..not available in US. Broncolin cough syrup. and Cevalin effervescent VitaminC and nopales capsules and arnica and arnica gel.. I also bring the black laundry soap and denim blue laundry soap that restores color to clothes ..Mas is the brand, I think. Cajeta and caldo de pollo and certain flavor of Clight drink..Crystal Light in the US. Some take the Coca Colas back because of the original cane sugar. There is an award winning vanilla that is delicious. Many of the things we used to bring back are right there in the supermarket..many of them at less that we buy them in Mexico..go figure.

Ed and Fran

Nov 30, 2006, 7:19 PM

Post #5 of 16 (3749 views)

Shortcut

One of our favorite appetizers for a potluck is just a brick of cream cheese spread with berry jam and Chipotle sauce poured over it, serve with crackers. Sounds a little strange I guess but it is great, sweet and hot.

Years ago I had friends from Louisiana who did something similar. They put some type of fruit chutney (Major somebody-or-other's) over a cream cheese block, then poured Worcestershire sauce over it. About the same effect. I'd forgotten about that trick, thanks for the reminder.

Ed

sfmacaws

Nov 30, 2006, 7:38 PM

Post #6 of 16 (3744 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Cynthia7] Best Things To Bring Back

I meant to give the name of the box sauces, Doña someone. I've given them all away now and can't remember the name.

I too bring Clight back, the flavors are better and to me it doesn't taste the same as the Crystal Light sold in the US. Also, I love jello so I bring back a lot of jello as they have much better flavors in MX.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Ed and Fran

Nov 30, 2006, 9:16 PM

Post #7 of 16 (3728 views)

Shortcut

I meant to give the name of the box sauces, Doña someone. I've given them all away now and can't remember the name.

Our guess would be "Doña Chonita".

Regards

E&F

sfmacaws

Nov 30, 2006, 9:36 PM

Post #8 of 16 (3724 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ed and Fran] Best Things To Bring Back

Yes, that's it. Thanks. They are pretty good.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

El Príncipe

Nov 30, 2006, 11:20 PM

Post #9 of 16 (3714 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ed and Fran] Best Things To Bring Back

That would probably be Major Grey's chutney. Lovely stuff.

drfugawe

Dec 1, 2006, 6:59 AM

Post #10 of 16 (3696 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Cynthia7] Best Things To Bring Back

Cynthia said, "Many of the things we used to bring back are right there in the supermarket..many of them at less that we buy them in Mexico..go figure."
--------------------------------
Yeah, that certainly happened with Mexican chocolate (Ibarra). And some of those handy mole pastes.

You guys are great! Keep 'em coming - I'm making a list.

Oooo, just thought of another thing I try to get - those tiny cans of chipotles, because once you open a larger can to use one, they start to lose their character and get lost in the fridge! But the small cans are almost "recipe" size.

Thanks for your great ideas!
jm

H.L. Mencken
____________###

rainer

Dec 1, 2006, 10:40 AM

Post #11 of 16 (3670 views)

Shortcut

Tequila!! - have you looked at the prices of good tequila in the US???
Smile

Judy in Ags

Dec 1, 2006, 4:40 PM

Post #12 of 16 (3639 views)

Shortcut

Last time I went I took a box containing several small bottles of the Tajin brand "salsa en polvo" (chile, limon y sal). Every where I went I introduced my friends or family to it (sprinkled on fresh fruit) and left them a bottle or two. Everyone liked it. They're all hooked. I've taken this brand with fresh fruit to church here and some folks mentioned they like this brand better than what they usually use. Um good! I know you can buy it in the fresh fruit and vegetable section in some stores as far north as Waco, but I don't know if it's available farther north.

carlw

Dec 4, 2006, 2:02 PM

Post #13 of 16 (3579 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Judy in Ags] Best Things To Bring Back

Most of the food items available in Mexico are also available in the Dallas area. THere are large Mexican Groceries, fruterias, panaderias, etc. in all of the hispanic neigborhoods. Trucks make the trip once or twice weekly from Mexico to re-stock. If you know where to look here, you can find any Mexican product.

drfugawe

Dec 5, 2006, 7:39 AM

Post #14 of 16 (3527 views)

Shortcut

Re: [carlw] Best Things To Bring Back

In all due respect, Carl, while I know that the hispanic flavor of Dallas adds immeasurably to the enjoyment of the city (in fact, arguably, it may be the only enjoyment!), I've never gotten the same pleasure shopping in Dallas as I have in the "real" Mexico.

No, I think I'll still do my winter sojourn SOB again this year. But, thank you for your invitation just the same.
jm

H.L. Mencken
____________###

db52

Dec 10, 2006, 4:28 PM

Post #15 of 16 (3438 views)

Shortcut

I brought back a shower head that is not the 'water-saving' kind. It works much better because the water saving kind cannot be properly adjusted for temperature (at least in my house) and after a little bit of a time lag always turns out to need more adjustment! I am quite pleased with my Mexican shower head (they called it a "cebolla" in the hardware store, which I got a little laugh from).

In Reply To

sfmacaws

Dec 10, 2006, 6:33 PM

Post #16 of 16 (3426 views)

Shortcut

Re: [db52] Best Things To Bring Back

Hey, I brought one of those back from London many years ago. I hate the restricted shower heads, I'm all for the environment until it messes with my water pressure. It was quite a feat getting it through security as we first had to take it to Dublin and this was during a bad time for the "troubles".

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4