Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

esperanza

Nov 18, 2006, 10:41 AM

Post #26 of 51 (6383 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Curandero] Taxes/fines on bringing new items into Mexico?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Frankly, it doesn't sit well with me (a) that you address the board as 'gringos', which not all of us are, and (b) that you pretty much brag about making money under the table by playing music. What you're doing is illegal.

Seems strange that your very first post on MexConnect would be about beating the system in a variety of semi-legal or illegal ways.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Bubba

Nov 18, 2006, 11:40 AM

Post #27 of 51 (6375 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gbatrucks] Taxes/fines on bringing new items into Mexico?

I used the birth certificate they now issue in Europe at the birth place city hall. The European birth certificate are issued on a multi language form so no need for translation. Mine was accepted as is in Chapala. But interpretation of rules can change from year to year so try it as you have it , if they do not accept that form get whatever they are asking for. No big deal.

Curandero

Nov 18, 2006, 2:12 PM

Post #28 of 51 (6363 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Taxes/fines on bringing new items into Mexico?

Yeah, within the logic of one's argument the Yamaha could be considered legal. But the allowable "portable" keyboard was the sticky point. That thing needs a dolly and a lot of oomph to move. And I was worried because it's obviously a professional piece of equipment and they want to be sure you aren't down in Mexico working or selling things. But you're right; that other stuff was basically dinky. I think most of the guys stopping and checking were looking for weapons.

Would you see something unadviseable about doing it my way:bringing things back little by little and living on a tourist visa? It just seems less of a hassle. I can't wait to get out of this rat race, but it'll take me until May 2008 to do it comfortably.

Curandero

Nov 18, 2006, 2:17 PM

Post #29 of 51 (6361 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Taxes/fines on bringing new items into Mexico?

Sorry if "gringo" hurt someone's feelings. I use it lightly, and call myself that, too. According to the Mexican consulate in Austin, TX, what I did was NOT illegal. If the money you make from freelancing goes into your account in the States and is not paid to you by a mexicano, it's O.K. The playing was spotty and mainly just tips. There were University groups who opened up jam sessions and such to anybody.

esperanza

Nov 18, 2006, 4:02 PM

Post #30 of 51 (6347 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Curandero] Taxes/fines on bringing new items into Mexico?

In Reply To
...a $1200 electronic piano with its stand which I actually used to play and receive moolah under the table...

That's the illegal part, Curandero.

As to your use of 'gringo', I and others who post here are Mexican citizens.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

(This post was edited by esperanza on Nov 18, 2006, 4:03 PM)

sfmacaws

Nov 19, 2006, 3:11 AM

Post #31 of 51 (6304 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Taxes/fines on bringing new items into Mexico?

So maybe he broke the "spirit" of the law but frankly I think complaining about it is the pot calling the kettle black. How shocked is anyone on here if someone says their friend/relative/other is working illegally in the US? Get real, it's not only not that big a deal but it is not at all uncommon. As for the word "gringo", we've hashed that about here many times but I don't know anyone who thinks it is related to your citizenship. Where you are born? yes! What language is your first language? yes! How you look? yes! Your citizenship? No, not really. They may call Mexican-Americans a lot of bad things but rarely gringo.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Georgia

Nov 21, 2006, 7:13 AM

Post #32 of 51 (6221 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Pay import taxes - a different approach

Well, I have a totally different approach to this border crossing, tax paying business. If I've purchased something with a plug that costs more than $100 plus other "things 'n stuff" I simply throw myself at the mercy of the aduana agents at the Colombia crossing. I tell them , look , I bought a new computer monitor and have a bunch of other stuff, new and used. C'mon out and take a look and tell me what to pay. I really don't know what it's worth. They really, really, really, do not want to get up and come out and look in my car. But they do creep out, peek in the car, and they write out the slip charging me far less than I probably would have declared. The fact that aduana prepared the declaration gives me a free pass at the 20 mile second aduana stop.

Being somewhat conscience ridden, they value my stuff at far less than I would anyway. I cross, sweat free. Pay a bit of taxes on their estimate. Everyone is happy. I don't mind paying reasonable taxes. It's fair. The government needs revenue too. I know this is a radical view. In most of the hispanic and middle eastern world it is considered sort of unmanly or ignorant to pay all the taxes due, so when someone throws themselves at their mercy, they get all dithered and confused and underestmate by large percentages. Works for me.

bbeitz

Nov 21, 2006, 8:50 AM

Post #33 of 51 (6207 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Georgia] Pay import taxes - a different approach

Georgia,

I agree. If you were to sell the plugged item the minute you walked out of the store, the price becomes "garage sale" value. Since you are to pay the current value at customs then I can't see how anyone could value it at the new price.

I brought tools with plugs down on one trip and declared them at what I felt I could sell them as used. A few items had never been used and if they were still in the store inventory they would be sold as new. But we know that once the receipt is issued the item loses much of its value for resell. I went into the Aduana office and sat down at the officers desk and he went over the list. He only questioned the promotional pens with my company name on them, concerned that I may intend to resell them. He was ok with them when I explained nobody wanted my name on their pens. He did take great interest in my nail guns. That second word drew his attention. Fortunately he spoke good english and understood my explanation of what they are used for.

To pay retail for items that are no longer new is wrong and aduana realizes that, I believe.

bbeitz
It is better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt.

(This post was edited by bbeitz on Nov 21, 2006, 8:54 AM)

Brian

Nov 21, 2006, 9:25 AM

Post #34 of 51 (6200 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bbeitz] Pay import taxes - a different approach

Ever wonder why so many empty cardboard boxes are found in shopping carts at the malls in Chula Vista, Cal and McAllen, TX? It's because it is common practice to discard the shipping materials and declare all such items used at the Aduana. I think the aduaneros are sometimes shocked to see the contents of cars of the innocents who don't know about this.

Brian

JohnnyBoy

Nov 21, 2006, 1:25 PM

Post #35 of 51 (6175 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Brian] Pay import taxes - a different approach

Forgive me if I am being naive or obtuse. It is not intentional.

I religiously and meticulously save ALL the original boxes and packing materials for virtually everything I buy, unless it is just too large (like the box my NordicTrack elliptical rider came in.) Otherwise, I have at least three nice Dell computer boxes, the boxes my Sony television and home entertainment electronics came in, and many others...all in near new condition.

I had planned to pack those items right back into those boxes and use them to transport them into Mexico in my truck with a Menaje de Casa. They are not new. I have USA receipts for some of them. The newest item is at least a year old.

Am I going to have a problem with aduana calling them "NEW" ("nuevo" or whatever) and have to pay import taxes on them? If any of you think so, then I guess I will have to pack them in Uhaul boxes instead, where they will not fit or travel as well.

What do you think?

Thanks.

jb

jennifer rose

Nov 21, 2006, 2:05 PM

Post #36 of 51 (6166 views)

Shortcut

Re: [JohnBleazard] Pay import taxes - a different approach

Can't Post |
Under the circumstances you've described, you won't have a problem.

donemry

Nov 22, 2006, 6:28 AM

Post #37 of 51 (6132 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Georgia] Pay import taxes - a different approach

There is no real consistency to what happens as you crosss over the border.

We crossed at Colombia in August with a van full of U-Haul boxes and a an unofficial "Menajae de Casa" (a list of the box contents in Spanish). We crossed at noon on Sunday and stopped in the declare line, showed the gentleman the list, they peeked in the van and said go on. Same thing at the Aduana stop.

This month, we again crossed at Colombia on Sunday using the same methodolgy. This time the gentleman says "You can't cross here, there is no one from Aduana to inspect you items. You must go back to Laredo." No amount of discussion changed his mind, so back across to be inspected at the American side after our 20 minute visit.

Then back to Laredo. We entered the declare line, pulled up to a inspection station and waited. No one approached us so I just put it back in gear and went on. At the Aduana station, I said "nothing to declare" and got a green light, so we were on our way.

We followed the rules both times about not taking new items and our list was in proper form, just not "blessed" at the consulate. I chose this approach as I figured it would cost me less in duties than it would cost to spend a day and night in Atlanta to get "blessed"

hunteradvisor

Nov 29, 2006, 8:18 PM

Post #38 of 51 (6042 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ratigan] Taxes/fines on bringing new items into Mexico?

First time poster here. Thank you all for the invaluable info! Still left with questions though. My wife and I are preparing to drive a pickup camper in on my FM3. We're bringing a a beater wind surfer, beater surf board, new surf board, lots of camping and camper accesories (much of it new), some elctronics such as a portable printer, voltage inverter, iPod & player, etc. Also, I'm a professional photographer and have beaucoup camera gear, video camera, & laptop. I'm preparing an inventory list for approval by the Boston Consulate. Any advise?

Dan
Isabel
www.RanchoSolyMar.com

Rolly

Nov 30, 2006, 4:55 AM

Post #39 of 51 (6019 views)

Shortcut

Re: [hunter] Taxes/fines on bringing new items into Mexico?

If you are getting an menaje de casa from the consulate, you have nothing to worry about; it will all be duty free. Most of what you list is duty-free anyway (but don't say any of it is new!). More details here: http://rollybrook.com/dutyfree.htm and here: http://rollybrook.com/...o_move_to_mexico.htm

Have a happy move. And welcome to Mexconnect.

Rolly Pirate

hunteradvisor

Nov 30, 2006, 1:43 PM

Post #40 of 51 (5988 views)

Shortcut

Thanks Rolly.

Your site is an amazing resource for us newbies. Very generous of you to share all of your hard earned info.

I still have a couple more questions. One is that I received the instructions for "household goods import list" from the Boston consulate. It made no mention of separating the list into boxes. Most of my stuff will be tucked away in the various nooks and crannies of the camper and pickup cab - at least that's what I had planned on. Do you think there is any chance of sliding by without subscribing to the box regimin? Or, say, simply boxing it up in Laredo if there is a problem?

Another question, I've never seen any mention anywhere about permits for the camper that will be sitting in the bed of the truck. Is that simply a given that it goes with the truck permit? Or do you think that I should be including it on the list as well?

And from what you wrote and what I saw on your site, it seems like I should simply leave camera, camping, and sports equipment (surfboards, etc) off the list enitrely. Or do you think it might a good idea to keep that stuff on the list for good measure (I've already completed the list anyway).

Thanks Again!

Dan
Isabel
www.RanchoSolyMar.com

Rolly

Nov 30, 2006, 3:27 PM

Post #41 of 51 (5965 views)

Shortcut

Re: [hunter] Taxes/fines on bringing new items into Mexico?

If you are not using boxes, no problem. The camper shell is considered part of the pickup. Duty-free items don't need to be listed, but they can be if you wish.

Best wishes on your move.

Rolly Pirate

hunteradvisor

Nov 30, 2006, 7:05 PM

Post #42 of 51 (5940 views)

Shortcut

Excellent. Thank you again. Please feel free to contact me (dan@blinddogphoto.com) if you ever have any photography questions I can help you with.

Dan
Isabel
www.RanchoSolyMar.com

mazgordon

Dec 4, 2006, 9:30 PM

Post #43 of 51 (5829 views)

Shortcut

Hi Rolly,

We moved to Mazatlán almost five years back, using a United Van Lines contractor out of Portland, OR. After a bunch of freaking out over the Menaje de Casa, their international shipping agent just said "Relax". Our 40' container came across the border just fine, with an unbroken seal. Without a Menaje de Casa! They provided a basic shipping inventory, in English, with serial numbers for electronic goodies.

I think there's a lot of unneccesary craziness among the norte's about moving here.

Another thing, don't get your FM3 up north. Come down, apply here and all these goofy police report requirements and other extraneous consular requirements likely won't be an issue, provided you don't look demented to the nice lady at the desk. Some Español will be of service and the bank statements are important, but the only other things we needed were our US passports and a couple photos a piece.

That's the read from Mazatlán...

Gordon

¡Echar todo la carne al asador!

Papirex

Dec 5, 2006, 12:12 AM

Post #44 of 51 (5821 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazgordon] Taxes/fines on bringing new items into Mexico?

Getting an FM3 might be a piece of cake in Mazatlan, but it isn’t the same in other places. I could write a book about the misery caused by the local office here in Cuernavaca. There weren’t any “nice ladies” in the local MIGRA office until a couple of years ago.

After several years of being told I needed to have our marriage certificate apostilled, I opted to have a lawyer go to Mexico City to register our marriage with the Mexican federal Government, so we won’t need to get a new apostilled copy of it every year. Those apostilled copies cost me over US$90 each year.

Always needing to show the last three original bank statements, computer print outs are not accepted, neither are the forms sent every year by my three pensions, and Social Security for tax filing purposes. My Social Security payments alone are enough to more than meet the income requirements for my wife and me.

Being told two years ago to have those original bank statements translated by a government approved translator, at $200 Pesos per page.

Until two years ago, the last Gerente would not do anything she was supposed to do unless she was paid a bribe. She was finally fired two years ago and replaced. The new Gerente seems to have things under control now, there are several posters in the office now stating “No mas modidas”, and other posters in prominent places advising anyone that has had anyone try to extort money from them to call an 800 number to denounce the person responsible. They had a real problem here.

My situation got so bad here, that a few years ago, I was forced to hire a lawyer to do the paper work for me, he wasn’t cheap, I think it cost me about $8000 Pesos that year. He earned every Centavo too. I have used him every year since then. He only charges me $5000 Pesos every year now, that’s not really cheap but I won’t fool with it anymore here. He doesn’t get it done it 2 or3 days, about two weeks or more is the average time it takes to get it done every year, with several trips to the MIGRA office. There is nobody in this town that will try to renew a visa for you for anywhere near $500 Pesos.

I have been eligible for Mexican citizenship for several years, but every year I have procrastinated until it was too late to apply because my FM3 was about to expire. I told my lawyer on Saturday to start the process. I didn’t tell him, but I am tired of paying him almost US$500 Bucks per year, $200 Bucks to the translator, and $80 Bucks to have my daughter FedEx the last three bank statements to me every year. On top of that, I never know until I apply what new requirement they will have come up with. It has gotten to be just too big a pain in the grommet.

Don’t kid yourself that it is always easy to get an FM3 everywhere in Mexico.

We have a new president now, the present Gerente at immigration will almost surely be repaced along with most of his staff. God only knows what the situation will be in that office next year. I'm not going to wait to find out.

You have to really like it here to live in Cuernavaca; it beats the hell out of the coasts or places where they have frost in the winter though. I don’t hate the coasts; we love to go over to Acapulco – in the winter.

Rex

"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

(This post was edited by RexC on Dec 5, 2006, 12:25 AM)

TlxcalaClaudia

Dec 7, 2006, 4:40 PM

Post #45 of 51 (5730 views)

Shortcut

Rolly - I know you probably have this info on your site but time is limited and I can't read through it at the moment.
Hubby is driving down as I speak. I suspect a 4 day drive if he takes it easy. He has a truckload of our stuff. He is a Mexican citizen, with legal USA status (greencard). Does he have to do a Menaje de casa? Nothing is new, all used stuff...mostly books, kids' toys and clothes. No appliances, no furniture and only one used computer.

Thanks!
Claudine

(This post was edited by TlxcalaClaudia on Dec 7, 2006, 4:53 PM)

TlxcalaClaudia

Dec 7, 2006, 4:53 PM

Post #46 of 51 (5726 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RexC] Taxes/fines on bringing new items into Mexico?

Wow...reading your post Rex makes me glad for my bosses in Pachuca who took care of EVERYTHING for me in regards to my FM3. It was done in a couple months from the time I got here. I just might do another year of teaching for them if things could be that complicated on my own. Plus they paid everything for me. Maybe is like you say...a Cuernavaca thing. My FM3 was 4000 pesos. Bosses even offered to pay for my girls to get their citizenship but I declined it (until I can get my own at the same time...after 2 years here).

Question, I didn't have to apostille my marriage cert. for an FM3. What was this for?

Claudine

Rolly

Dec 7, 2006, 5:03 PM

Post #47 of 51 (5716 views)

Shortcut

Re: [TlxcalaClaudia] Taxes/fines on bringing new items into Mexico?

Claudia, chances are good that he'll be OK -- maybe a bit of $ for the computer -- the rest of th stuff is normally duty free.

Rolly Pirate

Papirex

Dec 7, 2006, 6:20 PM

Post #48 of 51 (5704 views)

Shortcut

Re: [TlxcalaClaudia] Taxes/fines on bringing new items into Mexico?

Claudia, an apostille is a kind of an exercise in futility for any document issued in The United States. It is a certification by the secretary of state of any of the states in The US that the person authenticating the document, usually, but not always, a notary public, was authorized to do that function at the time he/she certified it. It says nothing about the authenticity of the document.

At an international conference a few years ago, the concept of a postille for documents was initiated, because the authenticity of documents from some countries was questionable. I have forgotten where or when that conference was held, and I’m not going to look it up again.

When some Mexican bureaucrats learn about an apostille, they jump on it like a dog on a bone. It’s another thing they don’t understand, that they can require. I think that stupidity makes them feel smart.

A few years ago, when I was having trouble renewing my FM3, I interviewed a couple of lawyers to help me before I found a good one. One lady lawyer started out by telling me that the first thing I needed to do; was to get my US passport postilled.

She looked extremely confused, which she was, when I explained to her that a state secretary of state issues a postille, to certify that a state official that placed a seal and certified that a state issued document was genuine, was authorized to do it at the time.

She really looked baffled when I told her that there was no official higher than The US Secretary of state, with the authority to certify that anything that he had ultimately been responsible for issuing, like a US passport, was authorized to issue that passport at the time it was issued.

She also looked pretty baffled when I told her that a postille is a separate document, and it must be permanently attached to the document being apostilled, and I did not think The US Department of State would approve of having anything permanently attached to a US passport. The way that the apostilles were attached to our marriage certificates looked like a small diameter grommet was used, about 3/8 of an inch in diameter, with a ¼ inch diameter hole in the middle. I have no idea of where to get a machine that would install a fastener like that. It would destroy the documents if anyone tried to separate them.

She obviously had never seen an apostille, and knew nothing about what it was for, but thought it would be a good thing to require.

Registering our marriage with The Mexican Federal Government, while unnecessary for any other purpose for us, did save me a lot of money over the last few years. INAMI used to always retain the apostilled copies of our marriage certificate. I had to pay for a new one every year. No Mexican Government agency is permitted to retain the original registration papers for a marriage that has been registered with The Federal Government. I always get it back every year now.

Yes, I think Cuernavaca is unique for the problems we have encountered with the INAMI here. I only hope that when Calderon installs a new staff and crew here, that things may get better. They couldn’t possibly get any worse.

Rex

"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

Moisheh

Dec 11, 2006, 7:16 AM

Post #49 of 51 (5602 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bbeitz] Pay import taxes - a different approach

bbeitz: I am afraid you are mistaken. All customs regulations in North America use the price you paid for the goods to calculate the duty. The exception would be if an item is really used. That does not mean taking it out of the box. Your idea that the goods are "used" the minute one leaves the store would not be acceptable at any border crossing in Canada or the USA.

Moisheh

Bloviator

Dec 11, 2006, 7:49 AM

Post #50 of 51 (5594 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Moisheh] Pay import taxes - a different approach

Good theory and if you want to pay excessive duty, please feel free. Reality is that in Mexico we pay duty as used items - and a very small duty at that - unless it can clearly be shown that they are new or nearly new.

Even Stroms, before they left, recommended taking stuff out of boxes and declaring them as used. They were the original straight arrows, hewing strictly to stringent rules and regulations.
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4