Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Gulf of Mexico

Wupatki

Nov 28, 2006, 7:21 PM

Post #1 of 6 (3598 views)

Shortcut

Self-supported tour by bicylce

Can't Post | Private Reply
I'm new to this, and will likely make egregious mistakes, but my intentions are good.

I'm riding a bike and towing a trailer behind it. I left Nova Scotia on September 8th, rode down the Atlantic seaboard to St. Augustine, and then across the south to Navasota, Texas. I intend to spend the winter in Mexico, somewhere along the Gulf Coast. I know un pocito, muy pocito, of Spanish, and I'm studying as I travel.

How and where should I enter Mexico, and where along the Gulf should I go? I want to avoid riding through industrial and heavily trafficked areas.

Any suggestions?

Muchas gracias,

Wupatki

eportis

Nov 28, 2006, 9:19 PM

Post #2 of 6 (3584 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Wupatki] Self-supported tour by bicylce

Small world. I drove from College Station to Palicios to visit my boat on Friday, returning on Sunday. Saw you on each leg of the trip. Others may have better and more informed suggestions, but I recommend that you cross at Los Indios, South of Harlingen. Not busy, everything in one room, and they were very accomodating to us when we crossed last May. There is almost no commercial development around the bridge. You can then drop south through Valle Hermoso and thereby bypass Matamoras. No major urban area until you hit Tampico. Best of luck.

Ed Portis

Wupatki

Nov 28, 2006, 10:19 PM

Post #3 of 6 (3575 views)

Shortcut

Re: [eportis] Self-supported tour by bicylce

That sounds like good advice, Ed. I appreciate it, and I'm inclined to follow it. My next question would be, where can I obtain good road maps of the Mexican Gulf coast? Incidentally, I was east of Kountze, TX, until Monday morning, so it must have been another old guy on a bike that you saw. We are rare, but there are a few around.

Wupatki, aka
George Gore

Gayla

Nov 29, 2006, 11:11 AM

Post #4 of 6 (3550 views)

Shortcut

George, the best road maps for Mexico are the Guía Rojí maps. I'd tell you to order them from Amazon.com but that's not very practical given your on the mobile condition ;-). I know they can also be found at most Sanborn's in Mexico and, I would assume, other venue as well.

Enjoy your winter, sounds like a great trip.

Ed and Fran

Nov 29, 2006, 12:56 PM

Post #5 of 6 (3539 views)

Shortcut

where along the Gulf should I go? I want to avoid riding through industrial and heavily trafficked areas...

Oooff, that's a tough one. One recommendation is that after crossing the border and heading south, take the route to Tampico that goes by way of Cd Victoria (San Fernando - Cd Victoria - Estacion Manuel) rather than the road that goes San Fernando - Soto la Marina - Aldama - Estacion Manuel.

We usually drive the Soto la marina - Aldama route. It's fine for cars but has no shoulders. I wouldn't think that biking with a trailer would be a good option on that road.

Not sure what to tell you after reaching Tampico. The coast road, route 180, between Tampico and Tuxpan, also has no shoulders, and has a decent amount of traffic.

I'll assume you have a good set of flashing lights behind you, and maybe a flag.

As the line went, "You're a braver man than I am, Gunga Wupatki."

If you come through Tuxpan (in one piece), get in touch with me (before arriving) and we can meet. Use the MexConnect private messsage function.

Good luck,

Ed

"El Gringo Jalapeño"

Nov 29, 2006, 5:18 PM

Post #6 of 6 (3526 views)

Shortcut

¡Hola, amigo costeño! It is great you got ahold of this forum and that the excellent "costeño" contributors have already given you excellent advice. Fortunately I have been extremely busy taking a "ruso gringo" reporter for the New York Times around all week.
I just happens that I am a member of a group called "Cafécletos"(http://es.geocities.com/cafecletos/) which promotes the use of bicycles in an urban enviornment(i.e. Xalapa). We will be having our monthly "paseo" this second Sunday(December 10) starting at 9AM, leaving from the Parque Júarez in front of the Palacio Municipal. It would be great if you could join us.
Please send me a private message and I will give you information about where to contact me in Xalapa, and you can meet "la flota" of bicycle addicts here.
¡Buen viaje!
Roy B. Dudley "El Gringo Jalapeño" See more about Xalapa at www.xalaparoy.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4