Forums  > Areas > Central Pacific Region
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Bubba

Oct 29, 2006, 9:30 AM

Post #26 of 40 (3712 views)

Shortcut

Re: [deaconmoss] Tepic

Can't Post | Private Reply
Tepic is the Fresno of Mexico. This is a non-descript and boring community without even the redeeming values of the ugliest Imperial Valley craphole. At least its climate is fairly decent. I just spent the longest week of my life in Puerto Vallarta, one of the single most overrated communities on the planet Why would anyone live in that constant steambath filled with shallow opportunists seeking to rip off tourists. If they open a university in Puerto Vallarta they had better specialize in fish gutting or time share sales or no one will pass the entrance examinations.

(This post was edited by Bubba on Oct 29, 2006, 9:34 AM)

sfmacaws

Oct 30, 2006, 10:49 PM

Post #27 of 40 (3641 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Tepic

So that's where you've been! Did you get a tan? Did you brave the bacteria at Mismaloya?

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

RickM

Nov 2, 2006, 11:23 AM

Post #28 of 40 (3587 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] Tepic

rotflmao - candid comedy

jerezano

Nov 3, 2006, 8:40 AM

Post #29 of 40 (3554 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Tepic

Hello,

Bubba, whose advice on Finances is without peer, and whose advice about México is usually "acertada" to use the Mexican word for the phrase "right on" has in my opinion finally made a booboo. And as usual when he makes one, it is a great one.

Bubba said: Tepic is the Fresno of Mexico. This is a non-descript and boring community without even the redeeming values of the ugliest Imperial Valley craphole.

Tain't so. Tepic is not a colonial city as is San Cristobal de las Casas. Nor like San Miguel de Allende, nor like any of the cities on the Silver circuit. Nor is it like Mexico City, nor Guadalajara, nor like God Forbid Lake Chapala nor Ajijic.

Tepic is more or less like Tepic. It is a bit like San Luis Potosí, Aguascalientes, or even Monterrey without the terrible pollution problem.

1. The climate is superb. Not tropical like Colima or Acapulco. Not mountain like San Miguel de Allende. In fact it is very similar to Honolulu, Hawaii but just a bit cooler as it is at about 2000 feet above sea level.
2. It is an agricultural city. The main crop being sugar. As a consequence the city during the winter tends to be somewhat hazy, but tolerable. And there is always the minor problem of the burning cane fields, just as in Honolulu.
3. Now if a body is interested in touring México to see strange sights, strange customs, colonial architecture, eat strange food and marvel at the quaint attitudes and customs of the people, Tepic is not for that body.
4. On the other hand if somebody is looking for a comfortable place to live, with all the amenities of civilization; stable electricity, telephony, television, sanitation, transportation, superb medical and dental care, cultural and popular events, educational opportunities, parks, interesting markets, conveniences of major chains such as Walmart, Soriana, excellent restaurants, vegetarian restaurants, foreign restaurants, together with nearby beaches, nearby mountains, efficient city and government management, ad.infinitum., and all this at reasonable cost of living, then Tepic is such a place.
5. And if a pie lover, it is one of the few places in Northern Mexico where one can get real pies of all types.

So, let me disagree with friend Bubba. I can't let his opinion influence what the rest of you all might be thinking about. Let me repeat. Tepic in my opinion is a very good place to spend the rest of your life.

Now the one major fault with Tepic: It is off the beaten track. To go anywhere else whether in Mexico or elsewhere in the World, it is almost mandatory to return to Guadalajara which is two hours and another time zone away.

Our fellow contributor to these foro and author Joe Ketchum has just moved to Tepic. A friend who found the altitude of Zacatecas City too high for his body just moved to Tepic. The former owner of "AIM"-Adventures in Mexico [a newletter] moved to Tepic years ago from Guadalajara, Etc., etc.

Adiós. jerezano.

runklesg

Nov 6, 2006, 3:32 PM

Post #30 of 40 (3505 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] Tepic

Thank you for that realistic review of Tepic. I'm not sure what Bubba finds to be an interesting location. I have gone to Puerto Vallarta for many years, I have always enjoyed the beach and people watching. The heat is oppressive from June through September, but people seem to survive in spite of it. I'll be visiting Tepic in March with the intention of determining whether it will be my home in the near future. From what I have read and heard from others it sounds like my kind of town. Thanks again.

jaybear

Nov 15, 2006, 5:25 PM

Post #31 of 40 (3435 views)

Shortcut

Re: [runklesg] Tepic

About Bubba's proclivities: I suspect he a sucker for a beautiful view.

About Los Alamos: We went there on a circuit going east from Albequerque, thru Sante Fe and Taos and then to Bandelier and then west and south thru Los Alamos and the red cliffs and back into Albuquerque. Los Alamos was one of the most beautiful spots I'd ever seen--I still remember the high shaded meadow with the meandering stream and the deer. I was aghast at the forest fire that nearly burned the town. Sounds like the area has recovered.

About living in a gringo area versus elsewhere: we chose an easy entry into living in Mexico, buying a house in the Ajijic area, selling up and moving down, no Spanish at all. It has worked for us. Even in this gringo outpost, the failure rate is quite high, and I have come to suspect it has to do with (a) how much people do their research and learn what to expect before coming down, and also (b) whether they have lots of support from neighbors. People who move to outlying areas seem to fail more often, and I think this is because they underestimate the need for comfort in their first months or years here. Being able to talk to someone from your area of the world in your language and be supported and helped by people who understand your needs and viewpoint. It is very important to look inside yourself and ask what vestiges of your home culture and comforts are essential to your feeling of wellbeing, if you are going to live in Mexico for the rest of your life. NOTE: This is NOT to say that I do not want to assimilate, just that I understand that sometimes I need my mashed potatoes!

patricio_lintz

Nov 15, 2006, 5:48 PM

Post #32 of 40 (3428 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jaybear] Tepic

Very incisive.

However, learning Spanish is not all that difficult. Hey we are all retired. Keep alzheimers away with education. Check this out.

Free Spanish lessons, with audio They will even nag you daily if you like. http://www.businessspanish.com/

Chaeck out my website & blog:
www.makeyourhomeinmexico.com & /blog

Don Moore

Nov 15, 2006, 6:40 PM

Post #33 of 40 (3421 views)

Shortcut

Re: [patricio_lintz] Tepic

Por Dios, I'll bet Tepic hasn't received this much attention from Gringos since it was founded. I'll just chip in that I like the city a lot and am thinking of eventually moving there. I do speak Spanish, though not fluently by a long shot.
Don Moore

deaconmoss

Nov 15, 2006, 10:02 PM

Post #34 of 40 (3409 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Don Moore] Tepic

What doesn't Tepic have? Old buildings, cathedrals, great plaza for people watching, hotels caro y barrato, Wal Mart and such, great shopping in all the lanes and backstreets, cheap haircuts (my favorite first thing to do when I hit Tepic) hoichol artisans and on and on. We always make sure we make it to Tepic at least once during our 2 to 3 month stay on the coast. Who knows maybe we'll retire there too!

runklesg

Nov 16, 2006, 10:48 AM

Post #35 of 40 (3380 views)

Shortcut

Re: [deaconmoss] Tepic

Thanks to all who have responded to my interest in Tepic. I have been to Mexico probably 20 times in the last 16 years and do constant searching on the internet regarding the areas of interest, insurance, visas and many other topics. I also have purchased a Spanish course from International Linguistics which I read about in some book I read. Can't say I have become fluent and I really think one has to have the opportunity to be exposed to language before you can truly get good at it. I am willing to learn. Thanks again to all and keep the information coming.

db52

Nov 18, 2006, 5:53 PM

Post #36 of 40 (3327 views)

Shortcut

I saw Bubba's comment about Tepic a while ago and thought about responding. (But I've never been to Fresno, so don't have any idea about the 'redeeming qualities' that Fresno has and Tepic lacks.) Anyway, Jerezano, you've done a great job defending the honor of Tepic. I like Tepic. Where do you get the pies?

jerezano

Nov 18, 2006, 8:08 PM

Post #37 of 40 (3320 views)

Shortcut

Re: [db52] Tepic

Hello:

db52 asked: Where do you get the pies?

They are in an ice cream and pie shop on Insurgentes? across the street from the Loma park not quite as far uphill as the tennis courts. The pies are motored in every morning from Guadalajara. They are not cheap. They come in all flavors, thicknesses and elaborateness. The capuchino is also good. Farther up the street near the tennis courts is a restaurant which also has a limited selection of pies. Where they get them, I don't know. Their prices are a lot lower. At the corner where the tennis courts are if you turn uphill and go past the Motel on the right is a small coffee shop which occasionaly has pies as well.

Enjoy. Adiós. jerezano.

db52

Nov 18, 2006, 8:41 PM

Post #38 of 40 (3315 views)

Shortcut

I will be able to find that. Thanks.

runklesg

Mar 12, 2007, 9:54 AM

Post #39 of 40 (3201 views)

Shortcut

Hello, You mentioned Joe Ketchum recently moved to Tepic. I am moving there in October and would really appreciate any contacts I could make prior to the move. Do you think I could contact him by e-mail and if so, do you have that information? I was there a couple of weeks ago and met with Cliff and Alice. Delightful people and have been very helpful. I am mostly concerned about finding a house to rent without having to stay in motel too long as I have a dog. I accessed the Tepic Century 21 website, but it wasn't very helpful. So, anyone and anything will be appreciated.

jerezano

Mar 12, 2007, 12:34 PM

Post #40 of 40 (3189 views)

Shortcut

Re: [runklesg] Tepic

Hello runklesg,

I've sent you a private message reply.

Adiós. jerezano
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4