Forums  > Areas > Gulf of Mexico

tfyoung

Nov 18, 2006, 9:59 AM

Post #1 of 4 (2404 views)

Shortcut

Bugs

Can't Post | Private Reply
Roy,
I am enjoying the new blogs you informed us about in an earlier post. On Viva Veracruz blog, there was a fairly descriptive and disturbing account of bug attacks. How much of a problem are bug bites in the Xalapa area? We are hoping to visit next spring, and we need to be prepared if the bugs are a big problem.

Thanks

NJ2VER

Nov 19, 2006, 8:01 AM

Post #2 of 4 (2384 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tfyoung] Bugs

Bugs are not a problem in Xalapa in my somewhat limited experience. My wife went to the university there and does not recall any a bug issues. (and she would , she freaks out when she sees one.) Now, the port and the Tuxlas can have insects. Bring deet for those places.

"El Gringo Jalapeño"

Nov 20, 2006, 5:41 PM

Post #3 of 4 (2347 views)

Shortcut

¡Hola, amigos costeños!
I agree with NJ, that fortunately Xalapa is not a big bug haven, although there are mosquitos and lots of other little critters, but nothing you can't live with. Some people are now putting screens on their windows; however, it is only a few weeks in the years that the mosquitos(and some other flying bugs) can be bothersome.
Something happened last summer that was very interesting. There is a vacant lot with ruins from an old mule train waystation next to my photography studio. A plague of inch worms like I have never seen before attacked the fairly large tree in the middle of the lot, each hanging down on single threads like spiders. For about a month there seemed to be thousands of the worms. They really were not a problem at all other than crawling all over the patio area. Then as suddenly as they appeared, they disappeared, leaving the poor tree almost without a leaf. Well, after about 2 months the tree started growing leaves again, and it is lusher than ever. I guess the good Lord has a special purpose for every one of His creations!
So, go with the flow. Fortunately we are not covered with crawling critters very much.
¡Suerte y hasta pronto!
Roy B. Dudley "El Gringo Jalapeño" See more about Xalapa at www.xalaparoy.com

Curandero

Dec 31, 2006, 2:14 PM

Post #4 of 4 (2269 views)

Shortcut

The only bugs that bite in Xalapa are the ones causing you never to want to leave.
(The rest are eaten by Kiskadee flycatchers, Giant wrens, Squirrel Cuckoos, saltators, cotingas, etc.)

-birder soon to be xalapeño ... again.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4