Mexican fish cakes with chile and chia: Tortitas de pescado con chile y chia
Fresh green chile and cilantro add zip to these fish cakes with chile and chia, and potatoes act as a binder, while chia provides a nutritional boost.
- 1 pound firm-fleshed fish filets, poached and cooled
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 3 finely chopped green onions
- 1 fresh jalapeño chile, seeded and minced
- ¼ to ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds, ground in a coffee or spice mill
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable oil for frying
In a large bowl, finely shred or mash the cooked fish. Add the potatoes, onions, chile, cilantro, chia and lime juice. Mash well with a fork until ingredients are thoroughly combined. Add salt to taste.
Using wet hands, form the mixture into small patties. Fry in a small amount of vegetable oil, turning once, until golden brown and crisp on both sides. Makes 6 servings.
Chia: Ancient Mexican seed and modern superfood