Grilled tuna steak in ginger chile marinade: Atun con marinada de chile y jengibre
This marinade is great for thick pieces of fish or fish kebobs destined for the grill. For a far superior flavor, try to use wood charcoal instead of "briquettes."
- 4 8-ounce tuna steaks, 1 inch thick
- 2 dried arbol chiles, crumbled (remove seeds if desired)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 2 inch piece fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ¾ cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- toasted sesame seeds, if desired, for garnish
Place tuna steaks in a non-reactive bowl or baking dish. Mix remaining ingredients, pour over tuna, and marinate for 20-30 minutes, turning once.
Grill over prepared hot charcoal, 6 inches from the heat, for approximately 6 minutes on each side, or 4 minutes if some pink inside is desired.
Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve immediately with rice and any tropical fruit salsa. Serves 4.
Cooking in Puerto Escondido: Fish and fruit from Mexico's tropics