Music, food fest, film and art visit Mazamitla
One of Mexico's Pueblos Mágicos, Mazamitla is often described as an alpine village. The town offers numerous cabins and bungalows in a fragrant pine forest for a vacation of hiking, horseback riding, mountain biking and golf.
Thanks to a group of talented young people from Guadalajara, the town will be the setting for three days of music, art, gastronomy, film and more from July 16 through 18.
Ceramic artist Esther Anaya came up with the idea of a traveling cultural event that visits Mexico's small towns and pueblos mágicos, and Pata de Perro was born.
Pata de perro - literally, "dog foot" - describes the animal's carefree wandering, pausing wherever and whenever it wants. In the same way, serendipitous events of international caliber will be staged throughout Mexico. "I grew up in Mazamitla, so our first event takes place there," Anaya says.
"These small towns have a wonderful ambience for workshops, handicraft shows, art auctions and so much more. For our first event, we've scheduled an exhibit of Tonalá's traditional ceramics, workshops and conferences on cooking, literature, film and acting. There'll be film screenings and concerts. We've also invited painters, sculptors and photographers to participate in an exhibition which will culminate in an art auction," Anaya says.
In addition to the cabins, Mazamitla has several hotels in all price ranges. Anaya recommends you bring warm clothes, as July nights are cold in the sierra. This is the rainy season in West Central Mexico, and boots are a good idea for town and countryside.
Here are some of the highlights of the weekend. For details, visit Pata de Perro.
Thursday, July 16
- 10 a.m. Workshop led by actor Joe González in the Public Library, free admission
- 11 a.m. Workshop on creativity with artist Alejandro Curiel in Lomas Verdes, free admission
- 11 a.m. Historic homes open house, Gómez Farías 1, and Cuauhtémoc 2, near the plaza, free admission
- 4 p.m. Children's workshop (ages 5 to 12) led by actor Joe González, DIF Municipal, free admission
- 5 p.m. Inauguration of the event in the plaza
- 7:30 p.m. Contemporary dance in the plaza
- 8 p.m. Concert by Barrio Zumba in the plaza
- 10 p.m. Wine tasting in Cavanostra, Pueblo Bonito
Friday, July 17
- 10 a.m. Exhibiting artists will be present at the Casa de la Cultura, free admission
- 11 a.m. Exhibiting artists will be present at the Casa de Colores Gallery, free admission
- 11 a.m. Conference on Art & Technology by Pablo de la Peña in Sierra Paraíso, free admission
- Noon Author Cecilia Eudave talks about Fantastic Literature in the Public Library, free admission
- 5 p.m. Conference on Literature in Times of Crisis by Jorge Castellanos at the Casa de Colores Gallery, free admission
- 6 p.m. Screening of short films at Sierra Paraíso, free admission
- 7 p.m. Screening of short films at Bar Málaga, 2 blocks from the plaza, free admission
- 8 p.m. Concert by Radaid, "Music of the World"
- 11 p.m. Fashion show at Malinche Discotheque, Loma Bonita 1
Saturday, July 18
- 11 a.m. Workshop on Kitchen Myths with Chef Melissa Rolón at the DIF Municipal, free admission
- 1 p.m. Miguel the Magician performs in the plaza, free admission
- 5 p.m. Conference on Graphic and Digital Art by Sergio González at Monte Verde, free admission
- 6 p.m. Talk with Guadalajara film makers at the Posada Alpina Hotel on the plaza
- 7 p.m. Art auction at Casa Antigua
- 9 p.m. Concert by La Calor: salsa-cumbia-electronic fusion in the plaza, free admission
- 11 p.m. Concert by Deduplex: pop music at Malinche Discotheque
Accommodations in Mazamitla (in alphabetical order):
- Cabañas Noemí
- El Granero Cabañas
- Hotel La Troje
- Hotel Real de la Sierra
- Monteverde Hotel de la Sierra
- Sierra Paraiso
- Villas Manzanilla