Chicken and Almond Soup: Sopa de Pollo y Almendras
This soup can't be beat for a combination of ease and elegance, especially if you make the chicken stock ahead of time. Making stock is easy, since it cooks while you do other things, and it imparts a comforting aroma, especially on cool mornings. I make a large batch and freeze it in 1-quart containers, perfect for recipes like this one.
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 2 carrots, peeled and julienned
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 hard boiled eggs, yolks mashed, whites chopped
- ½ cup blanched, skinless almonds
- 1 cup shredded, cooked chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- additional chopped parsley
- toasted, slivered almonds
Bring the stock to boil in a medium size sauce pan, add the carrots and garlic and cook, covered, until the carrots are tender, about 10 minutes.
Place the egg yolk, almonds and 1 cup of the broth in a blender and puree until smooth.
Stir the puree into the soup and cook another 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
Stir in the chopped egg whites, chicken and parsley. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve in bowls, garnished with additional chopped parsley and toasted, slivered almonds. Serves 4 as a first course.
Link to Source Article
Nuts Star in Mexican Holiday Cooking