Travel  |  See all articles tagged legal

General Information to Travel to Mexico as a Tourist

Canadian and US citizens do not require a visa to visit Mexico for up to 180 days.

The Mexican tourist card can be issued by any consulate of Mexico, the Mexican tourism offices, some travel agencies, the airline company or at the port of entry.

Minors going to Mexico alone or accompained by just one parent are subject to notarized permission from both parents or the absent parent.

No vaccinations are required to enter Mexico.

Where and how can I get a tourist visa to visit Mexico?

You need to go to a Mexican consulate abroad to ask about the requirements and to take the necessary steps to get your visa. The requirements differ from country to country.

If you are a citizen of Andorra, Argentina, Aruba, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Ireland, Iceland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Panama, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Romania, San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, South Korea, Sweden, Switzerland, The United States of America, Uruguay or Venezuela, you do not need a visa to enter Mexico, although you must present a valid passport and fill out an immigration form for tourists, businessmen or women, stopovers or “visiting advisors”, which can be obtained in travel agencies, airlines or at the point of entry to Mexico.

The immigration officer at your point of entry into Mexico can also request that you demonstrate that you have sufficient economic solvency and a found trip ticket.

If you are a citizen of any other country, you need to go to a Mexican consulate to request a visa. If you have a family member, friend or acquaintance in Mexico, he or she can do this at the INM.

For further information about requirments for tourists, visit the website of Mexico's Foreign Relations Secretariat

For further infomation about requirements for obtaining resident status in Mexico, visit the website of the National Migration Institute

Published or Updated on: December 4, 2008
All Tags