Mexican Pork Chops: Chuletas De Puerco Con Chile Verde
Submitted by: Bruce McKay
Recipe modified from recipe compilation by Amalia Ruiz Clark
- 4 pork chops, 3/4" to 1" thick
- pinch: seasoned salt and seasoned pepper
- 1/4 C. flour
- 1 Tbsp. cooking oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (approx. 3/4 cup) *
- 1 can diced green chiles, 7 oz. (approx. 1 cup) *
- 1 can Mexican style sliced stewed tomatoes, 14.5 oz. (approx. 2 cups)*
- 2 tsp. dried oregano, crushed
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 oven bag, 14" X 20"
* Measurement included to assist in increasing or reducing recipe as needed.
Preheat oven to 275 degrees F.
Sprinkle pork chops with seasoned salt and seasoned pepper; dredge in flour to coat. Heat oil in skillet and lightly brown pork chops on both sides.
Place baking bag on 11" X 15" baking tray or in shallow baking dish of the same size. Lay pork chops at the closed end of the baking bag and roll the top of the baking bag back to expose the chops; spoon chopped onion and diced green chiles onto the top of each of the pork chops, covering evenly. Sprinkle covered chops with oregano, onion powder, and garlic powder. Spoon stewed tomatoes into spaces between covered pork chops. Elevate open end of baking bag, gradually pour liquid from stewed tomatoes into bag, then secure open end of bag with nylon tie. Puncture top of baking bag with four small holes.
Place tray or dish with baking bag and contents in oven and bake at 275 degrees F. for three hours.
Spoon sliced tomatoes and liquid from baking bag onto tops of pork chops when serving.