Baked Stuffed Oysters: Ostiones Al Horno
This is an adaptation of a recipe we learned while camping on the beach here in Mexico. Originally, it was prepared by wrapping the stuffed shells individually in foil and placing them on a grill over the hot coals in our fire pit.
- 24 fresh oysters, shucked and bottom shells reserved
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup finely chopped white or green onion
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 roma tomatoes, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
- ¼ cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1 ½ cups fine bread crumbs
Chop the oysters finely and set aside.
Heat the oil in a skillet and add the onion. When it begins to soften add the garlic. After a couple of minutes, add the tomato. When the tomato has rendered its juice, add the cilantro and chopped oysters. Cook until nearly all the liquid in the pan has evaporated. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Lightly oil or butter the shells. Stuff them with the oyster mixture and top with bread crumbs.
Place on a baking sheet and bake in a pre-heated 350º oven for 15 minutes.
Serve immediately. Serves 4 as an appetizer, or 2 for dinner with rice and salad.