Guerrero Style Grilled Fish: Pescado A La Talla
This is probably the most famous dish from the Guerrero coast, and another one that is wonderfully easy to prepare. The traditional fish to use for this dish is snapper, but bass or grouper would also be good.
- 4 medium-size firm, white fish, cleaned, butterflied and boned
- juice of 2 limes
- 4 ancho chiles, seeded, deveined and soaked in hot water until soft
- 2 large cloves garlic, roasted on a griddle or comal, then peeled
- ½ medium onion, roasted on a griddle or comal, then peeled
- salt to taste
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- Shredded lettuce and lime wedges for serving
Marinate the fish in the lime juice for 20 minutes. Pat dry.
Place the softened chiles, the roasted garlic and onion, salt to taste and just enough of the chile soaking water to move the blades in a blender and puree.
Mix the chile puree with the mayonnaise and spread this over both sides of the fish.
Grill over hot coals or on an indoor grill until the fish flakes when poked with a fork.
Serve immediately on beds of shredded lettuce, with lime wedges. Serves 4.