Mexican grapefruit salad: Ensalada de toronja
This is a very refreshing salad. In Southern Mexico, grapefruit salad would most likely be made with fruit vinegar, especially pineapple vinegar, but apple cider vinegar is a good substitute. Only a small amount of dressing is used, since the flavor and juiciness come from the grapefruit.
- 1 small head lettuce, washed, dried and torn into small pieces
- 2 ruby red grapefruits, peeled, separated into segments, white membranes removed
- 1 avocado, peeled and diced
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar or fruit vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt to taste
Place first four ingredients in a salad bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, cumin and salt. Toss dressing with salad and serve immediately.
Winter sunshine: Mexican ways with citrus